Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios earning on AS I fare class (First class)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb

I looked at BA’s earn chart but don’t see any Avios earned for Alaska airlines for I Class, which is discounted First domestic.

Will I earn any redeemable Avios on this AS-ticketed+marketed flight if I use my BA number on the reservation?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Looking at the BA website on the general table and for a few specific routes, I am afraid an AS operated and marketed flight in I selling class doesn’t earn anything when crediting to BAEC.

Last edited by KARFA; Sep 16, 2019 at 2:46 pm
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
I looked at BA’s earn chart but don’t see any Avios earned for Alaska airlines for I Class, which is discounted First domestic.

Will I earn any redeemable Avios on this AS-ticketed+marketed flight if I use my BA number on the reservation?
Are you sure this is an Alaska flight? First on Alaska should be F and P, not I. American Airlines domestic first would book into I.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Gshumway
Are you sure this is an Alaska flight? First on Alaska should be F and P, not I. American Airlines domestic first would book into I.
I can certainly see I class listed and available in EF on AS marketed and operated flights. It seems to be used as well, see the example below

Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by KARFA
Looking at the BA website on the general table and for a few specific routes, I am afraid an AS operated and marketed flight doesn’t earn anything when crediting to BAEC.
You mean AS operated and marketed in I doesn't earn anything? because other classes certainly do earn avios only.
KARFA likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Airprox
You mean AS operated and marketed in I doesn't earn anything, because other classes certainly do.
Yes sorry, not sure how I left that bit out!
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I Class has become a relatively new discount F fare class, which is probably why BAEC hasn't updated the earning chart, which may mean you will not earn any Avios.
355F1 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Gshumway

Yes. I just booked it on Alaska’s website. It’s AS metal.

I was trying to figure out where to credit the flight but it seemed like BA would be best because it is a (domestic) first class ticket.

But why would they award Avios for cheap economy flights but none for discounted FC? Seems a little weird. I don’t know anything about AS but maybe they changed their fare codes and BA hasn’t updated yet?

I am just really confused and would like to get some credit but AA (my OWE airline) doesn’t offer any credit at all for an AS-ticketed flights.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Some contextual threads in the AS forum.

What Is "I" Class? (Discount First/Business)

"I" Class Fares Live? (Yes)
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by safari ari
Thank you.

One of those states we should post the question in the point-earning airline’s forum. LoL
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 355F1
Yes. I just booked it on Alaska’s website. It’s AS metal.
But why would they award Avios for cheap economy flights but none for discounted FC? Seems a little weird. I don’t know anything about AS but maybe they changed their fare codes and BA hasn’t updated yet?
This is almost certainly the reason - at least that BA are not aware yet of the new selling class. A similar situation arose a while back I think with a new QR business cabin selling class.

In that case the class was eventually added to the earning table so is worth maybe contacting BAEC to check that they are aware of the new selling class and wait a while to see if they make an agreement with AS to include it (no guarantee this will happen - it may still be excluded after their discussions with AS).
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I can confim that I class is discounted First on AS and that it will not earn you any BA Avios - based on my experience in July
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I can confim that I class is discounted First on AS and that it will not earn you any BA Avios - based on my experience in July
Ditto. I put in a retrospective claim and was denied on the basis I class was heavily discounted First Class and was not therefore Avios-earning.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Originally Posted by PrimaVista
Ditto. I put in a retrospective claim and was denied on the basis I class was heavily discounted First Class and was not therefore Avios-earning.

THANK YOU, to both of you!

I will try to look at crediting mny flight elsewhere.

Maybe SQ....?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Just as a reference point, this is what the BA Avios/TP Calculator churns out for Alaska:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.