Flights with returns that wont be used

Old Sep 16, 19, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Flights with returns that wont be used

Hi all, I have to go to a US destination in a few weeks and booking a return is astronomically expensive as I wont be staying a Saturday.

If i book 2 separate flights LON > US and US > LON with the returns on those bookings way out in the future, that I may never use, do BA penalise exec club members for this ?
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by darkone338 View Post
Hi all, I have to go to a US destination in a few weeks and booking a return is astronomically expensive as I wont be staying a Saturday.

If i book 2 separate flights LON > US and US > LON with the returns on those bookings way out in the future, that I may never use, do BA penalise exec club members for this ?

Hi darkone338,

Welcome to flyertalk and the BA forum!

For a once off there will be no effects. If you do it multiple times then there could be a possiblilty that BA will look into this.

Regards

TBS
darkone338 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
You'll be fine. But as other have said, book way into the future and you might end up needing the flights. Or you might get lucky and one, or both, of the flights may be cancelled or changed enough to allow cancelation for free.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
One thing you can do is to set the return well into the future on a convenient day for travelling and from somewhere you'd like to go (not necessarily the same place you're going to on the outbound), and you then have the option either of tagging on a flight out (perhaps using an avios one way to get there) or in the hope there may be a schedule change so you can cancel.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
By coincidence, just got a travel trade email from BA outlining stiff new penalties from 1/10 for travel agents whose clients do this, or skip last legs, abuse married segment availability etc.
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum darkone338, it's good to see new people joining this forum.

I would book via BA.com and put a potentially plausible end date further in the future, it is entirely possible that something happens and it may prove useful. If you book on BA.com then I really don't think you need to worry, but as indicated above, please don't use your high street travel agent to do this. If you have AA sectors on the return leg the changes are are that AA will change their booking and if the change is more than 5 hours to you overall (or just 2 hours on Joint Business Routes), you can get a partial refund. AA are apt to do a lot of changes.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It will be safer to book on two separate airlines. Different alliances even better... If you book everything on BA and credit it all to BAEC, your plan becomes quite obvious and, as others have mentioned, this is something that BA could decide to look at.
trooper likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:07 am
Original Poster

thanks for the replies and the welcome... long time browser, 1st time poster

I'll give it a shot on ba.com and see how i get on.

Cheers!
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:21 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
By coincidence, just got a travel trade email from BA outlining stiff new penalties from 1/10 for travel agents whose clients do this, or skip last legs, abuse married segment availability etc.
Abuse married segments - what a wonderful expression! What does it mean? Would anyone be able to post an example?
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Another consideration is to book the return as far out as possible so that the chances of a cancellation or significant change is enhanced. In that instance, you will have the opportunity to either cancel for a refund or rebook, e.g. make a change.

The BA warning to TA's is interesting, but it is much easier and BA has a stronger hold on TA's via an ADM and plating privileges than it does on a consumer.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Abuse married segments - what a wonderful expression! What does it mean? Would anyone be able to post an example?
It's a ticketing arrangement where two sector have a better - or worse - availability that each sector on its own. If you look at ALC to LGW for a particular flight you may see that you have J9 C9 D9 R4 I0. LGW to TOM may be the same too, but if you try to book ALC to TOM it could be J9 C9 D9 R9 I9, so plenty of space in the cheapest bucket, since they want to promote TOM to the worthy burgers of Alicante.
Old Sep 16, 19, 8:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
It's a ticketing arrangement where two sector have a better - or worse - availability that each sector on its own. If you look at ALC to LGW for a particular flight you may see that you have J9 C9 D9 R4 I0. LGW to TOM may be the same too, but if you try to book ALC to TOM it could be J9 C9 D9 R9 I9, so plenty of space in the cheapest bucket, since they want to promote TOM to the worthy burgers of Alicante.
Thank you Love - I really did not know that - nor did I know where TOM was. So how would that work in practice if you were making a booking? Would you book to TOM (or wherever via ALC get the I inventory and just not fly to TOM? )

I did that some years back with CO. Without going into the circumstances but I was supposed to fly EWR-DFW-EWR. I never got to EWR from LHR in time to make the flight and the whole booking cancelled. They wanted £600 to fly to EWR on the following Monday. I had bought the ticket over the weekend for far less. I realised that it was a one way and that round trips were cheaper. That brought the fare down to £200 as I chose some obscure day in February to return. The outbound was in December. The useful Cities Nearby box showed so I ticked it. The fare DFW-EWR-ALB-EWR-DFW priced at £122. I flew DFW - EWR and never flew the rest of the sectors. To add insult to injury I upgraded with miles.

Do you suppose that the FBI is still seeking me?
Old Sep 16, 19, 9:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Or try using Ba hols or ie ebookers for a flight& hotel or flight& car option - can be a very useful option if you’re not staying a Saturday night.
just sayin’
Old Sep 16, 19, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE View Post
Thank you Love - I really did not know that - nor did I know where TOM was. So how would that work in practice if you were making a booking? Would you book to TOM (or wherever via ALC get the I inventory and just not fly to TOM? )
Yes, and that explains Raffles' point above, namely that BA are trying to stop this from happening when they detect travel agents selling tickets which are not fully used. It's unlikely to save you any money in that direction, but if Mme. was based in TOM (which would be an interesting concept in its own right) then clearly access to the I bucket would be of considerable interest.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
If you have AA sectors on the return leg the changes are are that AA will change their booking and if the change is more than 5 hours to you overall (or just 2 hours on Joint Business Routes), you can get a partial refund. AA are apt to do a lot of changes.
Worth noting that I think AA's refund policies are a lot more lenient for schedule changes -- so if booking via AA is an option, then that may be useful. I'm not really qualified to comment on how it would affect anything on the BA FF side, though.

More details on AA's policies here: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancellation / refund (consolidated)

Search this Thread