Downgrade on BA Holidays, Refund due?

Old Sep 16, 19, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver HH Gold
Downgrade on BA Holidays, Refund due?

Hi all

I booked a 2020 holiday to Koh Samui through BA holidays earlier this year with the LHR - SIN and SIN - USM all in business. The SIN - USM leg was a code share with Bangkok Airways. I was just double checking something in MMB and noticed the Bangkok Airlines legs were now booked in economy as it appears they have removed business from these flight.
I will now get less miles, tier points and leg room so am I due any form of refund from BA Holidays? Needless to say They have not been alerted me to this change.

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:09 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
1Iím sure others with more expert knowledge will be along shortly, but in short, EC261 does not cover this scenario as the airline in question is not EU and not departing an EU country.] edited please see more accurate replies below.

On the other hand, I would contact BA holidays to see what can be done; an alternative route or a gesture of good will.

Last edited by navylad; Sep 16, 19 at 4:37 am
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If this was booked as business originally (and I would double check as many USM flights are single class), then yes, though except that refund to be very minimal given the largely unfair way BA calculates it. You could also ask to be rebooked on another flight which has C if there is one.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Look at the Forum Dashboard for details on EC261, particularly the Mennens formula in the wiki, and Original Routing Credit. The short version is that you should ask BA Holidays for a refund on the USM booking, as well as the ORC, however the refund will be extremely small given it is only 600 or so miles.

[@navylad, this being a codeshare, the law changed recently so that it is now in scope for EC261]
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:31 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Inaccurate - removed.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:34 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
Iím sure others with more expert knowledge will be along shortly, but in short, EC261 does not cover this scenario as the airline in question is not EU and not departing an EU country.
The itinerary is departing the EU, and recent cases have brought connections on non-EU carriers outside the EU within the scope of the regulation.

That said, it would be calculated pro-rata to the distance, so it would be 8% of the journey that has been downgraded. It's not clear if it would be 30% of the 8% as a short haul segment downgrade, or 75% of the 8% as a long-haul itinerary.

I would guesstimate best case scenario is getting about £150 back, so may not be worth the hassle
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post

[@navylad, this being a codeshare, the law changed recently so that it is now in scope for EC261]
Thanks, every day is a school day, and that is really useful to know and consider on future bookings if there is a small difference between the code that a flight is booked under.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver HH Gold
Thanks all for the quick replies.
I have the booking showing business class with Bangkok Airlines so it definitely was booked into this fare bucket. The reason I picked that specific flight was not all of them ran a business cabin at the time.
I just wanted to get the wisdom of the forum before I ring BA. I know it wonít be a huge amount back but Iím sure if I was asking for an upgrade on that leg BA would be looking for some cash from me!
navylad likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:43 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
This must be an aircraft swap as I think that business class only exists on their larger aircraft.

You could always ask BA to book you onto TG instead.
Old Sep 16, 19, 4:59 am

Programs: BA GGL; CCR; Lifetime Gold
I was once downgraded by BA from F to J due to an equipment change on a flight booked with hotel with BA Holidays. The original flights were booked during a sale, so were discounted. When I rang BA Holidays to ask about the refund due for the downgrade, their initial response was that as the replacement downgraded J seats were now more expensive to BA Holidays than the original seats booked, no refund was due (and indeed I should consider myself lucky that I was getting a more expensive seat!!). The flight was a BA flight too.

After a couple of calls this was dealt with properly and the the eventual compensation offer exceeded my expectations.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
I would guesstimate best case scenario is getting about £150 back, so may not be worth the hassle
Maybe I'm just a tight northerner... but £150 would be well worth filling in a claim form / phoning
tigertanaka, :D!, mikeyfly and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Maybe I'm just a tight northerner... but £150 would be well worth filling in a claim form / phoning
Indeed, £150 would be nice, I was expecting it to be a lower figure if it is a percentage of a small percentage of the cost of the ticket, but I guess that would be about right if the flights cost £2.5k and we go by the upper 75%.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Bronze, Hertz 5*, Accor Plat, HHonors Diamond, Big White Season Pass
Business Class flights in Thailand are dirt cheap anyway, so I wouldn't be expecting a huge refund on this. £150 would be more than the cost of a full priced J ticket
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR, Marriott Ti, HH Diamond, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
That's ten pints and a bag of crisps at Cafe Artois...
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I was once downgraded by BA from F to J due to an equipment change on a flight booked with hotel with BA Holidays. The original flights were booked during a sale, so were discounted. When I rang BA Holidays to ask about the refund due for the downgrade, their initial response was that as the replacement downgraded J seats were now more expensive to BA Holidays than the original seats booked, no refund was due (and indeed I should consider myself lucky that I was getting a more expensive seat!!). The flight was a BA flight too.

After a couple of calls this was dealt with properly and the the eventual compensation offer exceeded my expectations.
EC261/2004 downgrade 75% refund issues have to be clarified with the operating airline -> not the tour operator.

Search this Thread