Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need a little help with a cunning plan to get silver..

Old Sep 15, 19, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

My wife and I have 560 tier points mainly due to a QR trip to SIN in J, however we are both still blue.
From my understanding we need to take 4 flights and accumulate another 40 tier points for silver or 2 flights for bronze.

As being able to get away with no kids is tricky I was thinking of trying to book a couple of nights away but undertake 4 flights in one hit. Now I dont mind flying so doing two short hops to a European destination for a long weekend is fine for me but for Mrs 225 she "just wants to get there". Trying to explain the benefits of being silver also falls on deaf ears..

I have had a look from London to MAN then into Europe but ita matrix keeps routing be all over the place even with no stops set.

Can anyone recommend a short as possible journey that would get us the tier points, meet the 4 flight criteria and a weekend away?

Thanks!
richardwft likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Probably a LON-AMS-LON-EDI-LON type routing (you want high frequency routes with relatively short travel times)

Should look at them as separate tickets maybe?

AMS/DUB/JER/EDI/GLA/MAN/NCL would be my main suspects

Or look at Cityfler routes ex Manchester and position up there, but there will be a decent chunk of wasted travel time
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
You donít need a cunning plan just chose an ex LON BA destination you want to go to and fly there so book

MAN-LHR-AMS (for example) and return.

so you could fly that route but your good lady could fly KLM direct!

edit just realised you arenít starting in MAN in which case have two weekends away!
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
You donít need a cunning plan just chose an ex LON BA destination you want to go to and fly there so book

MAN-LHR-AMS (for example) and return.

so you could fly that route but your good lady could fly KLM direct!

edit just realised you arenít starting in MAN in which case have two weekends away!
Yes, and figure out where you'd like to spend a weekend. AMS is lovely (with Rotterdam and The Hague also being very accessible from the airport by train), but your wife might perfer Paris or Copenhagen or Munich for example.
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Sorry if this sounds snarky, but if getting four BA flights is this hard, what *are* the benefits of silver?
Mks6 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Sorry if this sounds snarky, but if getting four BA flights is this hard, what *are* the benefits of silver?
Perhaps the benefits are more OWS than BA silver specifically? Especially if both the OP and their OH are close to hitting it - that would give OW wide lounge benefits for 4 if they have 2 kids. And maybe it's the case that despite not being big BA flyers, it was their easiest route to sapphire?
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Yes sorry I missed that bit out.

The reason being I want to use my avios for 4 of us next summer holidays flight but to get to where we want means all of us flying in Y. My rational being although the flight would be in Y for a long European flight, CE is no great shakes bar the spare seat in the middle.
Being silver we can use the J checkin desks ( I know bronze can), guest the kids into the lounges and also select our seats in advance for a seperate trip in late april in CW to TLV.

This makes the family summer holiday trip a bit nicer and also gets us better seats on the TLV flight hopefully!
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I believe flights operated by ib count, so lhr to mad or bcn and then on to some spanish destination, and the same returning would get your 4 flights
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:39 pm

You could try routing to places like BRE, FDH, or BLL where BA sells flights to continental destinations and not just to/from the UK.
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just be sure to check the fare buckets. If you end up in O or Q or any other of the lowest buckets you'll only get 5 tps per leg and fall short.
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by lorcancoyle View Post
Probably a LON-AMS-LON-EDI-LON type routing (you want high frequency routes with relatively short travel times)

Should look at them as separate tickets maybe?

AMS/DUB/JER/EDI/GLA/MAN/NCL would be my main suspects

Or look at Cityfler routes ex Manchester and position up there, but there will be a decent chunk of wasted travel time
Worth adding BHD (Belfast) also. Fares have been pretty suppressed recently.
Old Sep 15, 19, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by 225SG View Post
Yes sorry I missed that bit out.

The reason being I want to use my avios for 4 of us next summer holidays flight but to get to where we want means all of us flying in Y. My rational being although the flight would be in Y for a long European flight, CE is no great shakes bar the spare seat in the middle.
Being silver we can use the J checkin desks ( I know bronze can), guest the kids into the lounges and also select our seats in advance for a seperate trip in late april in CW to TLV.

This makes the family summer holiday trip a bit nicer and also gets us better seats on the TLV flight hopefully!
When does your TP earning year end? That determines how much time you have to still achieve Silver. I note that you mention a trip to TLV in CW in April, if that falls in your current year they would also count as 2 of the 4 flights needed, admittedly you wouldn't gain Silver status until then, nor would you be able to select seats before. Or is this trip also an Avios redemption? If not then you only need do 1 trip to get Bronze allowing you to choose seats 7 days out for TLV.

If you want Silver ASAP I'd recommend 2 separate one night trips to somewhere in the UK (EDI, JER) and Europe (AMS) rather than trying to do it all in one trip. Probably cheaper too. Or you could do a return trip to Gran Canaria via Madrid; LHR-MAD-LPA return on IB or BA.

Last edited by AJA_; Sep 15, 19 at 2:01 pm
Old Sep 15, 19, 2:43 pm

Try LHR-MAD-VLC on IB in business. That will sort you and keep the Mrs sweet.
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by 225SG View Post
My wife and I have 560 tier points mainly due to a QR trip to SIN in J, however we are both still blue.
From my understanding we need to take 4 flights and accumulate another 40 tier points for silver or 2 flights for bronze.

As being able to get away with no kids is tricky I was thinking of trying to book a couple of nights away but undertake 4 flights in one hit. Now I dont mind flying so doing two short hops to a European destination for a long weekend is fine for me but for Mrs 225 she "just wants to get there". Trying to explain the benefits of being silver also falls on deaf ears..

I have had a look from London to MAN then into Europe but ita matrix keeps routing be all over the place even with no stops set.

Can anyone recommend a short as possible journey that would get us the tier points, meet the 4 flight criteria and a weekend away?

Thanks!
LHR-Man-BLL on Sun Air?
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:37 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Four Seasons/Belmond Paid Guest
Asked and answered. Spain is the solution.
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread