EDI -LHR BA1459 cancelled

Old Sep 15, 19, 7:33 am
Original Poster

EDI -LHR BA1459 cancelled

Hi all,

I was booked on the BA1459 from Edinburgh to Heathrow this afternoon and it was cancelled. I got an email from BA saying they had rebooked me onto the first flight to Heathrow from Glasgow tomorrow morning.

As this wasn’t ideal, I called up to try and get on one of the other flights to London this afternoon as my time was fairly flexible and I was happy enough to jump on a train from City or Gatwick if Heathrow flights were all full. Speaking to the agent on the gold line, she said that all the flights were full in economy today so I’d have to accept the Glasgow one.

I looked at the website for Edinburgh flights and there were 5 flights showing sold out in economy but seats available in club Europe. I questioned this and she said yes they still for sale and if I’d want one of them, I’d have to pay the fare difference and change fee which would be £538!!! I then asked if they could put me on the Flybe flight from Edi - Lhr but again she said they couldn’t do that which seemed unhelpful.

In the end, I bought the Flybe flight for this afternoon as I have to be in London first thing tomorrow.

What I’m curios to know is

1. Can anyone shed light on why it was cancelled who has access to this info?
2. If club seats were available, I’d assume they’d upgrade some other passengers to free up some seats rather than selling them
3. I thought they had a responsibility to reroute you to get you to your destination.
4. Am I entitled to EC261 dependent on the reason of cancellation as I rebooked myself and land about an hour earlier than my original scheduled time.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Not that this will make you feel any better, but possibly those on your flight in club were being rebooked in club on the other flights - I imagine those in club may be a bit miffed if someone in economy was already booked in to the remining club seat and they were bumped to tomorrow.

I notice all remaining EDI-LHR flights are full now, they are all zeroed out, same for EDI-LCY flights. There is still space in economy on GLA-LHR flights tho if that's of use to you.

BA 1497
15/09/19 8:30
15/09/19 9:50
J1 C0 D0 R0 I0 Y1 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G1

BA 1493
15/09/19 9:20
15/09/19 10:35
J2 C2 D2 R0 I0 Y5 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 O0 Q0 S0 G5
Status of your cancelled flight is OPER so that is an operational issue. You should definitely put a claim in for compensation.

I suspect you may have had more success being rebooked on BE by an agent at the airport - those at the call centre can usually only rebook on oneworld at most. EDIT: although on checking all the BE flights are now zeroed out too.

Last edited by KARFA; Sep 15, 19 at 8:25 am Reason: poor spelling!
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:50 am

There are a number of uncrewed flights today due to lack of pilots. This may be one.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP;Life time PLT; HH Diamond
It's the Edinburgh September long weekend here...everything busy...
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi.

It is also the solheim cup currently on its final day at gleneagles so that may have an impact on tonight's and tomorrows loads

Regards tbs
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, BA, BD
I was on this flight in Business and was moved to the 21.20 flight from Glasgow to LHR again in business.

Fortunately I was close to EDI airport and got myself moved onto the 13.30 to Gatwick again in business. Only two rows of business.
I only noticed the cancellation 50 mins before the LGW flight and called the exec club. Exec Club put me on the LGW but I could not on-line check-in. Got to the EDI check in desk at 13.00 and they let my check in but said will not hold the flight.

Fast track security was quick with a little pushing in (did explain my flight had been cancelled) and everyone let me in.
Boarded the aircraft with nearly 20 mins before departure.
currenly on Gatwick Express into London!

Can I claim my extra train travel cost as I need to be in Brentford tonight?
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by fatmac70 View Post
Can I claim my extra train travel cost as I need to be in Brentford tonight?
Yes.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: AA, BA, BD
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Yes.
Tks for the confirmation.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:14 am

It's too late now, but the call-centres might have been able to book EDI-DUB-LON on EI/BA with BA codeshares. If you had to arrive today.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarkFlies View Post
It's too late now, but the call-centres might have been able to book EDI-DUB-LON on EI/BA with BA codeshares. If you had to arrive today.
They did try that but apparently they can’t do code shares either.

I’m sat waiting on the Flybe at 17.30 but that’s got a delay now too.

Thanks for the other responses.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
You should definitely have gone to the airport in order to get rebooked to BE - phone/call center agents can't /have no authority to do that.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 10:26 am

BA and Flybe no longer have a reciprocal ticketing agreement so BE would not be an option.
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by GAYOP View Post
BA and Flybe no longer have a reciprocal ticketing agreement so BE would not be an option.
They do, however, have LNER now so the airport teams have a lot more flexibility than they used to. Also KL EDI-AMS-LHR is a definite option if you have your passport with you (and no visa requirement).
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:27 pm

If I was in this situation, I would just jump on the airport bus to Waverley Bridge and get the train.

Would I get my EU261 comp and a refund of my ticket?
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
BA1463 Aborted take-off and Landing

Slightly OT as this flight from EDI wasn’t cancelled but we did experience an aborted take-off from EDI and an aborted landing at LHR. There’s a first time for everything and the reason of “not having paperwork from head office” for our aborted take off sounded a little odd to me but there you go!

It was a totally full flight, even in club, so they must have moved pax from cancelled flights if it wasn’t showing full yesterday.

Has anyone else had both an aborted take off and landing in the same flight too?

Search this Thread