Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Lyon Passport Control Opened only 25 mins before flight

Old Sep 15, 19, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, HH Diamond, BA, FB

This am flight from Lyon at 06:45 but passport control (non Schengen as going to London LHR). Only opened at 06:20 even airline crew had to wait. The Mont Blanc Lounge, which BA use was the other side of the passport control so by the time we got though, had to run for the flight. A French passenger said that this was normal and BA do not seem to be able to change the opening of passport control, even though boarding was meant to be at 06:05. Surely the crew getting on so late means that preparations are rushed and dangerous?
Is it normal for BA not to be concerned about safety like this?
Why pay for club if the lounge will be unaccessible even though it opens at 05:00
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Can’t you also use the lounge before going up to passport control? Sure I did last year.
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I do understand the safety aspect - Ďget there itisí and commercial pressures have been contributory factors to accidents in the past. That said, of course, Iíd hope if the crew had to take a departure delay as a result of airport delays they wouldnít get flack from operations and it could be raised at a higher level. Ultimately, some parts of the world work a bit like this and things seem to bumble along. Not a great Ďpremiumí experience though!
Old Sep 15, 19, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One of the reasons that commercial air travel is so safe these days is that crew safety issues have largely been eliminated. A reckless and likely untrue assertion that a crew would omit required safety checks in order to meet an ontime departure.

Don't forget that schedules are padded to allow for a good deal of minor holds.
Old Sep 15, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: FB, BAEC, IHG, Hilton
Lyon Airports passport control is notoriously poor - both in and out. The airport is panned on their Google maps rating for it. I have often had to wait over an hour to get through coming in and bizarrely going out. There is not much you can do on the early flight except make sure you are front of the queue and hope you don't get caught but an Air Algeria flight that often goes about the same time.
They have put in automated gates recently but these are usually off when I come through.
If you are going East from Lyon use Geneva - it's a lot faster.
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LondSE1 View Post
....... The Mont Blanc Lounge, which BA use was the other side of the passport control ........
Why pay for club if the lounge will be unaccessible even though it opens at 05:00
How can the lounge have opened at 05:00 if it is the other side of passport control and passport control didn't open until 06:20? Presumably if that were the case no pax for any flight on any airline would be able to get there for opening and also presumably the staff wouldn't be able to be there for then as they too need to pass through the border control?
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by ant_west View Post
presumably the staff wouldn't be able to be there for then as they too need to pass through the border control?
The lounge isnít in another country Staff would need to pass security, not immigration. Working in an airport doesnít mean you need to emigrate/immigrate every single shift.

I also donít know what everyone expects BA to be able to do about this. They have no authority over immigration staff, and can hardly force them to come to work half an hour earlier if their bosses have decided the time they start is sufficient.

And no, thereís no safety risk. Crews are allowed time to complete security checks and donít have to answer to anyone for it unless it takes longer than the standard time (even then it will be granted unquestioningly, just recorded the reason why).
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Your flight departed 1 minute early and I am assuming it arrived safely!!

Old Sep 15, 19, 10:00 pm

Programs: FB, BAEC, IHG, Hilton
Be pleased know that Immigration opened this morning at 5.40, with 2 officers (this is remarkable for Lyon) which cleared the queue in 5 mins. Lounge empty. Bad coffee and dry snacks obtained.
YacozA likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by LondSE1 View Post
Surely the crew getting on so late means that preparations are rushed and dangerous?
Is it normal for BA not to be concerned about safety like this?
Although this always at least a theoretical possibility, an airline with a good safety culture will have crew who will feel that their first priority is to do their safety tasks properly even if they are late to the aircraft, and a management approach that will positively reinforce that crew attitude.

You can't guarantee this at all airlines, but I believe that BA is usually regarded as a good example of an airline that does have a good safety culture. I wouldn't myself be in the least bit concerned that corners might be unsafely cut.

Search this Thread