FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Mini do: Helsinki, 31 Jan to 02 Feb, 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1987354-mini-do-helsinki-31-jan-02-feb-2020-a.html)

Calchas Jan 26, 2020 7:58 am

CMK10, cistavoda, Flying Yazata, and TedToToe :

Are you joining us? :)

chris1979 Jan 26, 2020 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31996072)
I may have underestimated how popular this trip would be when I procrastinated thinking about it last weekend :D

I'm assuming everyone who put themselves somewhere in the wiki is interested in the restaurant meal? i.e.,
Calchas, chris1979, gadgetgal, JB7, jfallesen, lost_in_translation, offshore_bob, S_W_S, Cymro, nomadic.relief, Swissbobby, snaxmuppet (+1), AnttiV (+1), Pacenotes +1, Pgoodall + MrsG, Karfa

Please let me know promptly if the above list is wrong because it's possible we may have to split into two or three groups to book tables.

I will post a PM to those people shortly.

excellent suggestion to think ahead re restaurants and thank you for volunteering! :)

snaxmuppet Jan 26, 2020 8:00 am

We would be very happy to eat with the group (or subset of if we split into several groups) but it isn't an issue if we can't. If we do split up then it would be good to have an arranged time/place for a rendezvous after eating for a bit of a social for those that fancy it but again, not the end of the world if not :)

snaxmuppet Jan 26, 2020 8:06 am

What is the best lounge in T3 for breakfast? Normally for a day flight I would choose the BA F lounge for champers and CX for noodles but this one is early and so for breakfast it might be different :)

Where will others be going before the BA794?

duvin Jan 26, 2020 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata (Post 31973120)
Take a P train from the railway station via Tikkurila to the central station of Helsinki. The I train runs in the opposite direction and takes longer to get to Helsinki on the circular train line P/I. You can buy single fares from the ticket vending machines. A ticket for the zones A, B and C is what you need. A single fare is valid on local transportation (bus, metro, tram and commuter train) for 90 minutes. You can also use the HSL app to buy a ticket.

This all can be found online in more detail.

The journey time difference between the trains to the central railway station is just 5 mins so it is usually advisable to take whatever train arrives first.

chris1979 Jan 26, 2020 8:44 am

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet (Post 31996121)
What is the best lounge in T3 for breakfast? Normally for a day flight I would choose the BA F lounge for champers and CX for noodles but this one is early and so for breakfast it might be different :)

Where will others be going before the BA794?

good question. QF doesn't open until 8am so that's not an option. I find CX F these days takes a while and breakfast is my least favourite. meal there. CX J is ok - not quite full English but sausages, usually some egg option, tomatoes etc and of course pastry etc.

Controversially, AA F can be decent for breakfast (though obviously lacks any charm). and then there's the BA lounges for those who like eggs that have never been near a chicken and come out of a tube.....

Calchas Jan 26, 2020 8:45 am

For anyone who wants to go on the walking tour on Saturday 1st February, please register at https://www.freewalkingtourshelsinki...tours-helsinki (This is probably not necessary for individuals, but if twenty of us turn up unannounced it might be a bit of a surprise to them.)

For those who haven't done one of these before, a 10-20 EUR tip in cash per person to the guide is typically expected at the end of the tour (unless it's completely rubbish).

lost_in_translation Jan 26, 2020 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31996239)
For anyone who wants to go on the walking tour on Saturday 1st February, please register at https://www.freewalkingtourshelsinki...tours-helsinki (This is probably not necessary for individuals, but if twenty of us turn up unannounced it might be a bit of a surprise to them.)

For those who haven't done one of these before, a 10-20 EUR* tip in cash per person to the guide is typically expected at the end of the tour (unless it's completely rubbish).

*Well I guess 100-200 SEK

Did I miss Helsinki getting annexed by Sweden? :)

Calchas Jan 26, 2020 8:58 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31996265)

Oops :)

GadgetGal Jan 26, 2020 9:33 am

For those who haven't done one of these before, a 10-20 EUR tip in cash per person to the guide is typically expected at the end of the tour (unless it's completely rubbish).

Done :)

Flying Yazata Jan 26, 2020 9:35 am

I see, another way to make extra bucks off the books. ;) Hmm, should I offer to do one for the DO and accept Avios payments... :D

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31996096)
CMK10, cistavoda, Flying Yazata, and TedToToe :

Are you joining us?

I have been very tempted for the past month to join in, but I have been dead silent about it in this thread. I'm preoccupied until 4 PM and at the earliest in Helsinki around 6-6:30 PM. Of course I can cancel the other program and be vacant all day, but I haven't done any moves regarding my itinerary for the day, since I have no idea what your intentions are for Saturday. Sure, a local BAEC DO would be natural to attend, taken I'm one of the very few locals that are both BAEC members and FT'ers. :) The timing isn't the best one for me.

duvin Jan 26, 2020 9:36 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 31996265)

We only got rid of the Swedes (by the Russians) in 1809 - maybe an old habit?

Calchas Jan 26, 2020 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Flying Yazata (Post 31996404)
I'm preoccupied until 4 PM and at the earliest in Helsinki around 6-6:30 PM. Of course I can cancel the other program and be vacant all day, but I haven't done any moves regarding my itinerary for the day, since I have no idea what your intentions are for Saturday. Sure, a local BAEC DO would be natural to attend, taken I'm one of the very few locals that are both BAEC members and FT'ers. :) The timing isn't the best one for me.

No obligations, you can swing by for a beer or join us for food in the evening or whatever suits you. I think meeting a local would be great!

We will do a walking tour on Saturday morning, have a long lunch, and then there's a museum or two I'll probably go to, with anyone who wants to join me.

Flying Yazata Jan 26, 2020 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Calchas (Post 31996437)
No obligations, you can swing by for a beer or join us for food in the evening or whatever suits you. I think meeting a local would be great!

We will do a walking tour on Saturday morning, have a long lunch, and then there's a museum or two I'll probably go to, with anyone who wants to join me.

I'll continue to ponder my own schedule for Saturday, but if I do attend, then I expect arriving after my earlier commitment. I will be driving, but I don't mind drinking non alcoholic drinks, as long as the company is great. :) Drop me a PM too, in case I attend in the evening.

In terms of museums, I do of course recommend the Finnish Aviation Museum near HEL (the airport, that is), in case aviation is of interest (more than Avios and TPs ;) ). It's by no means as good as e.g. Duxford, but speaking of commerical airliners, there's a AY Convair 440 Metropolitan, a Kar-Air Lockheed Lodestar and a Kar-Air DC-3. Not much, but perhaps of interest. And of course tens of smaller planes.

Calchas Jan 26, 2020 10:13 am

Nice idea!

If there's somewhere to leave a bag, it might be convenient to do that on Sunday morning.