Short ‘Long haul’ service

Old Sep 14, 19, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, HH Gold
Short ‘Long haul’ service

Routes such as DME, TLV (3h 50, 5h respectively) are marketed as WT/WTP/CW/F, but does anyone know what kind of service you get onboard? Is it the same as a ‘proper’ long haul, ie food, amenities, etc or is it just shorthaul service but with free food in Y on a bigger plane? The internet searches I’ve done don’t seem to bring up anything recent about these routes!
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by stampcollector View Post
Routes such as DME, TLV (3h 50, 5h respectively) are marketed as WT/WTP/CW/F, but does anyone know what kind of service you get onboard? Is it the same as a ‘proper’ long haul, ie food, amenities, etc or is it just shorthaul service but with free food in Y on a bigger plane? The internet searches I’ve done don’t seem to bring up anything recent about these routes!
If it’s marketed as a ‘world’ route etc. then you will get the service appropriate to the cabin you book. CW on DME is not CE for example. For specifics you should mentioned which cabin and route.

WT on the routes mentioned gets a full service.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84 View Post
If it’s marketed as a ‘world’ route etc. then you will get the service appropriate to the cabin you book. CW on DME is not CE for example. For specifics you should mentioned which cabin and route.

WT on the routes mentioned gets a full service.
So CW and F on LHR-DME (789/A321) get full service including 2 meals?
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3 Gold, FlyingBlue Gold, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold
1 meal
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:55 pm

No, they get one full meal. Which in F takes most of the flight. All amenities including PJs in F and club kitchen in J are offered.

Y and W however do not get full meals at least to DME. They are free along with drinks but generally lousy hot snacks.
Old Sep 14, 19, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PGFlyer85 View Post
No, they get one full meal. Which in F takes most of the flight. All amenities including PJs in F and club kitchen in J are offered.

Y and W however do not get full meals at least to DME. They are free along with drinks but generally lousy hot snacks.
Thanks for this
Seems like a good route for CW/F, but a double blow in Y on the 787 of crammed seats and bad food then!
Old Sep 14, 19, 3:42 pm

Is there a Club Kitchen on the BEY route on the A321 also?
Old Sep 14, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be View Post
Is there a Club Kitchen on the BEY route on the A321 also?
There was a tuck box set up in the forward galley after the meal service when I flew to/from Amman on the 321. Hopefully it still features as part of the CW service. There's no designated Club Kitchen as such on the 321's.
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Catering in y on the Moscow service is appalling. No hot food...
Old Sep 14, 19, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
TLV gets all the bells and whistles, no different to any other L/H route (except DME it seems...).
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Mid hauls have a limited Club Kitchen - the usual mini bars of chocolate, popcorn, fruit. Given that they are now all Do&Co catering I don't think many passengers leave the aircraft hungry. DME hot food in WT depends on the aircraft type and flight time, unless it has changed recently (again).

There are differences between the routes but that's the general answer.
Old Sep 14, 19, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Given that they are now all Do&Co catering I don't think many passengers leave the aircraft hungr.
Well, only from Heathrow as I think the return are all catered locally with mixed fortunes? I’ve found meals from tlv very hit and miss for instance.

conversely, since no one mentioned it, dme in f is the one ba route that gets caviar service.
stampcollector likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 11:58 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, EK Blue
Originally Posted by PGFlyer85 View Post

Originally Posted by Skipcool3 View Post
Catering in y on the Moscow service is appalling. No hot food...
Half a sandwich, roll with ‘usually’ egg mayonnaise or some type of wrap and a kitkat or the smallest square of cake that you have ever seen in Y on both the A321 and 787/777 services.
Skipcool3 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
conversely, since no one mentioned it, dme in f is the one ba route that gets caviar service.
I thought that had been discontinued? I didn’t have it last time I was on. Have you had the caviar recently?
Old Sep 15, 19, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. ihg Spire Elite. Hilton Honors Diamond. Radisson Gold
Sorry if it a daft question, but LCA is a lot further from LHR than DME.

So, why is LCA 'relegated' to a short haul A32x, whilst Moscow gets a 777/787 etc with CW?

Since the demise of Cobalt, BA is the only 'full service' carrier on the UK to LCA route, so shouldn't it be upgraded?

Or os the lack of competition a driver to keep it 'short haul'?

Thanks.

Search this Thread