Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Makes you proud to be British

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Makes you proud to be British

I know it's been a tough few months of strikes and delays, but in the midst of the misery I'd like to post my positive experience of BA customer service.

Its a long story of which the short version is that I had two separate bookings with two carriers for the same journey which went wrong, but BA came through for me.

It's a risky strategy I knew and accepted the risk. I took the risk to secure business class reward flights as a treat for my wife on our annual vacation. This is her first experience of business class flights. Due to limited availability I took flights in/out of JFK with BA. I wasn't spending the whole vacation in NYC so booked a separate AA flight from Las Vegas to JFK with a 6 hour window to allow for some delays and rechecking of baggage.

For various changes from AA over the months since booking, that return plan got routed through Philadelphia and BA were accommodating to switch the flight to match up. Still with a 6 hour window.

Come the day of departure. Wake up early for a 8am flight out of LV, everything on time. At the hotel checkout alerts from AA come in of a 2 hour day. I still have enough time and proceed.

1 minute to the new boarding time and a further 2 hours delay, comes through. Followed minutes later buy a further 3 hours. 7 in total with an expected landing time after the BA flight takes off. I'm in trouble. Big trouble.

While everyone heads to the desk to complain and reroute. I don't. I pick up my phone and call BA executive club. I don't need AA to get me to philly. I need some to get me home to the UK.

I quick explanation of my plight and that I won't make my flight. The suggestion of reassigning to the BA flight that evening out of Las Vegas comes up. Which my BA rep was happy to do for no up charge.

So my PHL-LHR rewards became LAS-LHR, still in business class. My distraught wife becomes happy wife once more. I'm mightly relieved. All I need to do is recall my bags from AA and sit out a few more hours.

I don't know if this normal service, but from my point of view BA went above and beyond to get a customer home. A truly positive experience and a credit to BA agents. Who no doubt have had a hard time recently. I gave my golden ticket for this one.

Proud to be British.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Does that mean every bad thing BA does should make one ashamed to be British - e.g. Navylad’s recent thread
LCY8737, NoY, scoonee and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I am sure the Spanish owned Airline will be thrilled by your positive feedback
mario, stevie, scoonee and 18 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:28 am
Suspended

Was J full on LAS-LHR?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:29 am

I’m sure that’s already a positive effect of Brexit!

I saw that on the side of a red bus!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Aside from any discussion of Britishness, it is great to hear that you were treated so well by BA.

It is rare to hear of BA being so flexible to help someone with an unprotected "connection" on separate tickets, hence the long and frequent discussions here about recommended times between flights, risk tolerance and contingency plans.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC blue dust
As a non-Brit but UK resident for 26 years, am I supposed to be proud of BA or not?
:D! and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
As a non-Brit but UK resident for 26 years, am I supposed to be proud of BA or not?
Are you Spanish or Irish? If so you may have a claim because of Willie or Alex C.
salut0, Silver Fox, :D! and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fruitcage
Aside from any discussion of Britishness, it is great to hear that you were treated so well by BA.

It is rare to hear of BA being so flexible to help someone with an unprotected "connection" on separate tickets, hence the long and frequent discussions here about recommended times between flights, risk tolerance and contingency plans.
Indeed. Its worth remembering that there is a miles difference between JFK and LAS so flipping the booking on the day of travel feels like a result to me. I was fearful of having to purchase a new ticket at walk up cost. Whatever the doom-sayers are spouting., I'm more than happy with this result, and feel it is worth sharing.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Are you Spanish or Irish? If so you may have a claim because of Willie or Alex C.
Neither, I'm French (well half Corsican ) but my dentist is Spanish and one of my friend's dad is Irish, so does that count
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:34 pm

Neither, I'm French (well half Corsican ) but my dentist is Spanish and one of my friend's dad is Irish, so does that count
Sing “ole, ole, ole” 3 times, have a siesta and then a Guinness. All (stereotypical) bases covered.

Wearing a giant Guinness hat or sombrero will result in immediate stripping of this honour.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Not sure I understand the relevance of this to one’s feelings about being British - which I personally find at best something of an embarrassment at the moment.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
Sing “ole, ole, ole” 3 times, have a siesta and then a Guinness. All (stereotypical) bases covered.

Wearing a giant Guinness hat or sombrero will result in immediate stripping of this honour.
Thank you for the clear and helpful guidelines!

What about a hi-viz?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:46 pm

Thank you for the clear and helpful guidelines!

What about a hi-viz?
I’d be worried by the gilet jaunes so it’s not necessary - but if you’re presiding over a monumental IT disaster or protesting outside a meat processing factory go for it!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
What about the unused AA LAS-PHL ticket? Did that get refunded or was that offset against the LAS-LON?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.