Makes you proud to be British

Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
Boys and Girls?

Professional staff is what is is more appropriate 😊
They meant "all the lads and lasses".

Whether they were gannin' along the Scotswood Road is not clear.

Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Outside of sport I find the concept of national pride strange
I don't see why there would be in sport. Why can people who like sport not just like the sport regardless of teams / countries
:D! likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, please spare the moderators the "This has NOTHING to do with BA" post reports, and curb the off-topic excursions.

Thank you.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:41 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by nmb255
I know it's been a tough few months of strikes and delays, but in the midst of the misery I'd like to post my positive experience of BA customer service.

Its a long story of which the short version is that I had two separate bookings with two carriers for the same journey which went wrong, but BA came through for me.

I don't know if this normal service, but from my point of view BA went above and beyond to get a customer home. A truly positive experience and a credit to BA agents. Who no doubt have had a hard time recently. I gave my golden ticket for this one.

Proud to be British.
Clearly unlike others, I read your post and knew how you felt. I’ve had AA let me down completely with a connection that was on one PNR from LAX-DFW-CDG. The flight to Dallas was in a rolling and unexplained delay. I got home, hours late and with a sort of Lucky You Got Aboard At All attitude. I am so glad that BA stepped and seems to have given you exemplary service.

Thank you for sharing this. Do not be discouraged by any comments about which the least said the better. I thought that it was like a breath of fresh air.
Dan72, gcuk, Geordie405 and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:01 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
OP says something positive about BA - gets jumped on for explaining.

Different FTer says something negative about BA - others join in to compound the airline.

What a sad mindset some posters have.

Well done BA for resolving the OPs problem and for keeping another pair of customers happy. That's the aim of the game, and proof that despite the recent troubles BA has encountered, there are still positive stories.

M
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Did you pay for the AA ticket in cash, AA miles or BA Avios? If the latter, maybe it makes more sense that BA felt a responsibility to be helpful.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
I am sure the Spanish owned Airline will be thrilled by your positive feedback
Its ok, Corbyn will nationalise it 😂😂😂😂
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
To get back on the OP's situation. It is worth repeating that AA will take care of passengers who miss their connection on different tickets as long as one of the tickets is on AA and the other is either on AA or on oneworld. So the OP should not have even considered having to pay for walk up fare.
In this case, since he got the LAS-JFK miles/avios refunded, all the better for him that he didn't know this fact.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
To get back on the OP's situation. It is worth repeating that AA will take care of passengers who miss their connection on different tickets as long as one of the tickets is on AA and the other is either on AA or on oneworld. So the OP should not have even considered having to pay for walk up fare.
In this case, since he got the LAS-JFK miles/avios refunded, all the better for him that he didn't know this fact.
That’s interesting to understand. I wasn’t aware of this, and I’m not certain the AA ground staff are aware either. They certainly didn’t mention it or enquire about what my connection was as I checked in with the flight already predicting a delay.

I mentioned my two bookings situation and that I had allowed a reasonable window. They just agreed that I should still have plenty of time and that hopefully there won’t be further delays. They didn’t ask if my future booking was with a oneworld carrier or not. Nor mention that AA would make sure I got home if the flight delayed further.

thanks for enlightening me [us] about this as the normal advice is not to make separate bookings. Although it isn’t a policy I would be looking to take advantage of, its good to know that I did have other options out there. I’ll be sticking to single ticket connections in the future.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by salut0
Did you pay for the AA ticket in cash, AA miles or BA Avios? If the latter, maybe it makes more sense that BA felt a responsibility to be helpful.
BA ticket was avios rewards.
AA ticket was cash purchase.

I’m BAEC gold so maybe that oiled the wheels.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
BA ticket was avios rewards.
AA ticket was cash purchase.

I’m BAEC gold so maybe that oiled the wheels.
Maybe BA is starting to honour their “flat tyre” rule more generously?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
That’s interesting to understand. I wasn’t aware of this, and I’m not certain the AA ground staff are aware either. They certainly didn’t mention it or enquire about what my connection was as I checked in with the flight already predicting a delay.
Here is the thread where this is discussed. It is not easy to get it applied all the time though. But JonNYC who knows a thing or two about AA states that despite the wording change in Feb, it still applies.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: KLM FB Gold, LH M&M
So is BA now honouring unprotected connections to a flight on a Oneworld carrier, even on separate tickets?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 5:02 am

Indeed. Its worth remembering that there is a miles difference between JFK and LAS so flipping the booking on the day of travel feels like a result to me. I was fearful of having to purchase a new ticket at walk up cost. Whatever the doom-sayers are spouting., I'm more than happy with this result, and feel it is worth sharing.
Nevermind. read the whole thread. I might start booking AA more often now
Old Sep 18, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by mikem004
So is BA now honouring unprotected connections to a flight on a Oneworld carrier, even on separate tickets?
Unlikely. This would have been an exception, and quite probably would have ended differently with a different passenger and/or BA agent.

If this had crossed my desk, I probably would have taken the AA ticket and combined it with the BA when issuing the LASLHR, but that's me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.