WTP or Economy? (LHR-MEL)

Old Sep 14, 19, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam & BAEC Silv, EY Gold, IHG Plat
WTP or Economy? (LHR-MEL)

Hi

I need to fly from London to Melbourne to visit the in-laws over New Year - currently there are some pretty interesting fares coming in at the 1650 mark for WTP/ PE with BA and CX. (BA A380 & CX A350-900)

My better half is adament I am mad to be spending this when a flight in Economy can be had for 815 with EK, but I think it represents good value when you consider the 21,000 Avios + TP (Unfortunately I've dropped back to Blue @ EC so no lounge) one would earn as part of this. Valuing the Avios at 1p each (EK miles are almost worthless to me) makes the price difference 600 or 150 per sector or roughly 13 per hour of flying time...

Assuming the price difference, whilst significant to one's finances, is not going to be detrimental, would you take the WTP option?

Thanks
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:42 am

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by sambessey View Post
Hi

I need to fly from London to Melbourne to visit the in-laws over New Year - currently there are some pretty interesting fares coming in at the 1650 mark for WTP/ PE with BA and CX. (BA A380 & CX A350-900)

My better half is adament I am mad to be spending this when a flight in Economy can be had for 815 with EK, but I think it represents good value when you consider the 21,000 Avios + TP (Unfortunately I've dropped back to Blue @ EC so no lounge) one would earn as part of this. Valuing the Avios at 1p each (EK miles are almost worthless to me) makes the price difference 600 or 150 per sector or roughly 13 per hour of flying time...

Assuming the price difference, whilst significant to one's finances, is not going to be detrimental, would you take the WTP option?

Thanks
At that price you might want to check CX prices from Scandinavia (on their website) - Id struggle to opt for WTP for ~40 hours if J was available for ~500 more

(and silver status in one go)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31513559-post577.html
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Hi

Thanks
If I was not going to miss the cash then yes, for sure, especially on a long route. I'd also try to have a look at load factors as a row all to yourself in WT is, in my view, better than a seat in WT+ ut again that's a gamble.

Bit more space is always good, the opups I've had over the years have typically been out of WTP as its a small set of seats comparatively but you can't bank on it obviously.

It's one of those decisions only you can make really.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Sep 14, 19 at 5:57 am
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
For me it would depend how much more flying I was anticipating over the next two years on order that i could benefit from the tier points this trip would earn me.

If very little then personally I would probably consider 800 too much.

I accept that different people will have different priorities and with higher levels if disposable income would be happy to spend the extra 800
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Likely I will be moving to Australia for a bit so quite a lot of flying I would think.

Thanks for the opinions so far - I will also look at the CX options from the Nordics!
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
You can also do returns in Y with other one world carriers, funnily enough I was just looking at options for that for my wife who's travelling for work. CX is available for example for around 900. We also had a look at PE and options in between (PE to SIN and then Y to Brisbane), but eventually settled back for Y as she can fly from Gatwick which is closeby and will get some status recognition on CX.

You can do a hell of a lot on arrival with twice the difference in fares, including a luxury recovery spa weekend, and it's not a massive endurance test to be perfectly honest. Most people doing the trip will be in Y and they'll end up tired but alive. So personally in the absence of a really good J fare I'd be happy enough to go Y and use direct routings. As is often said on this sort of thread, flying is largely a matter of attitude. If you go in positive and looking forward to the other end rather than worrying about the flight you'll usually be fine.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:12 am

Programs: QF WP
If you can book the EK as a Qantas codeshare I believe you get the BA tier points and avios (im not sure if QF are still codesharing on the route though)
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:15 am

As is always the case with this and similar questions it varies from person to person. I also would look for j fares if I could. I'm also generally happy in y for daytime sectors.

It's worth mentioning that PE on the cx a350 is very good, with a good seat. Their older offering is terrible; barely an improvement over y. So make sure you're getting the plane you think you are.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:26 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
SWMBO and I disagree about what difference is worth paying. I will pay the extra - SWMBO will not. This results in complex negotiations for our flights dunnunder, but sitting in different cabins for some long haul flights. For instance, me in J or PE for South America & S Africa, her in Y.
Different people have very different views. We have found ways to work with our different views.
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Hi

Thanks
Based on what I've paid before for Y, that's a steal. I've paid 1300 on CX for Y, but I had to book and fly within only a couple of weeks of each other at Xmas, so not much left. You have some time left at least.

Originally Posted by tuonopepper View Post
If I was not going to miss the cash then yes, for sure, especially on a long route. I'd also try to have a look at load factors as a row all to yourself in WT is, in my view, better than a seat in WT+ ut again that's a gamble.
Flights over the Xmas/NY period are very unlikely to have empty seats. I have seen it once when I left LHR at 11am on New Years Day and had the only 2 other people in the business class cabin on a Qantas 747 to Singapore (ie a long time ago!)

Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
You can also do returns in Y with other one world carriers, funnily enough I was just looking at options for that for my wife who's travelling for work. CX is available for example for around 900. We also had a look at PE and options in between (PE to SIN and then Y to Brisbane), but eventually settled back for Y as she can fly from Gatwick which is closeby and will get some status recognition on CX.....
The Cathay flight from Gatwick is an A350 which is my preference over the b777s they fly in/out of LHR currently, especially as they are densifying to 10 abreast on the b777s (not up to date on the current rollout). The only downside for me is that from my usual start point in Australia coming back it's not a good connection back to LGW.
Old Sep 19, 19, 3:54 am
Original Poster

With the current BA miles promo, I see there is scope to now earn about 40,000 miles on this trip! IF (and it is a big if) the CX leg is BA ticketed as I understand it.

Would this definitely be the case if booking via a travel agent? I assume it would be as the only way I would end up with a non-BA ticketed flight on CX would be if the agent was booking the trip as 2x separate tickets or something weird?

The prospect of >40,000 Avios seems to make this a very good price for PE in my view....

Search this Thread