Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

TPs for delayed flight not taken - BA7310 15hr delay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Hi all
i booked a TP run on last nights BA7310 from LCY to MAN (13 Sept). The flight was delayed by 15 hours to this morning - I really need to get home so could take the train, but will I get the TPs if I decide not to fly?
Delay was confirmed as we sat on the aircraft at 22:30 as they couldn’t meet the curfew...
I took the overnight accommodation which I assume if I don’t fly means I won’t get my ticket refund or compensation - is that correct?
Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I can't answer your TP question, but don't forget you are also likely to get some generous EU compensation for a 15.5 hour delay.

Even if you were to get a 9am train from Euston, for me, the time saved wouldn't be worth risking the TP's and forfeiting the compensation.

What hotel does BA use for LCY disruption?
Old Sep 14, 2019, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ianwall
I can't answer your TP question, but don't forget you are also likely to get some generous EU compensation for a 15.5 hour delay.

Even if you were to get a 9am train from Euston, for me, the time saved wouldn't be worth risking the TP's and forfeiting the compensation.

What hotel does BA use for LCY disruption?

thank you for the reply. Currently in the holiday inn express Excel. They said flight would be 10am but currently showing as 1145am
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If you don't take the flight or ask for an alternative rebooking; you won't receive the Tier Points/Avios nor an EU compensation.
Simply, in this case, the situation would be considered a No-Show.

By the way, you may have asked a rebooking via LHR and then ask for the amount that you have given to the taxi as an expense when submitting your EU compensation.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
LCY to MAN can only be 40 TP Max. If I were you I’d take the EU261 cash, get home, and then book a quick back to back return in Y on a flex ticket back to LHR or LGW, that should get you 20 TP each way.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk RDflyer31, and welcome to the BA forum, I hope we will see more of you and in that respect you may want to look at the Forum Dashboard, which is the main knowledge base. So there is a very detailed EC261 thread in that.

Now you do need to be careful, and there is a clear differential between a cancelled and a delayed flight. Right now it is shown as delayed. On paper you need to fly on that aircraft to be sure to get compensation (and it's possible that BA will resist paying that, though I think it is likely you have a strong argument for Article 7 compensation); you also really need to fly to get the hotel and meal reimbursement unless BA have paid it. After 5 hours you do get a refund however, regardless.

Now it gets more complicated, since on the "quacks like a duck" test, this looks to me to be really a cancellation, and therefore it's possible you would get EC261 even if you didn't fly. But it could be bothersome to win this argument. There is a second argument if you are still in London 3 hours after the scheduled arrival time in Manchester, but I need more coffee to explain that in detail, in essence it's about equal treatment.

If you don't fly, you can't assume you will get the TPs, particularly if you apply for a refund. So in short, you can sit it out a few more hours then I would do so.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the responses. I’ve decided to fly so hopefully no issue with TPs or compensation. BA paid for hotel and food at hotel also, so only some consequential train costs that I need to see if I’m covered by my travel insurance for.
The TP run relates to the year ending 8 Sept, so I also need to phone and ask for the 2 week extension.

BA didn’t find a suitable number of seats from LHR/LGW, albeit I didn’t check other airlines last night. I also need a train from MAN so arriving late last night wasn’t desirable

thanks again
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
For the train costs, remember that you can change the time / date of advance tickets for a £10 fee, by contacting your ticket seller (online / phone). However, you have to do this before the time of departure and pay any fare difference.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ianwall
For the train costs, remember that you can change the time / date of advance tickets for a £10 fee, by contacting your ticket seller (online / phone). However, you have to do this before the time of departure and pay any fare difference.
Thank you - unfortunately I missed the cut off to do that.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Now missed the Saturday curfew - unbelievable!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RDflyer31
Now missed the Saturday curfew - unbelievable!
oops. I did wonder if I should mention it in my earlier post, but I thought it would add unnecessary FUD. I hope BA are whizzing you over to LHR right now.

EDIT: Timings wise I presume 14:05 isn't going to work out, and the next service is at 21:00 hrs, so I suspect a train will be involved anyway.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 14, 2019 at 6:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.