Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Empty Flight - WTP > WT?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by stealthferret
How does that work if there are far fewer pax than rows...
Unless its a Tuesday in February, or a flight to Kuwait, there wont be. There only has to be around 40 spare seats for a flight to 'look' wide open like that.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by stealthferret
Hi,

So I have WTP booked from LHR to SFO return 5-14 November, doing a dummy booking the outbound flight (747) has a nearly full WTP cabin but only shows about 15 seats occupied in WT (Club doesn't look particularly full either!) on the return flight (A380) only the window/aisle pairs are taken in WTP but again WT and Club are practically empty.

I appreciate there are people that wont have secured a seat but at 8 weeks out it feels like the flights will be pretty empty - how woud cabin crew react if you wanted to head back into the (empty) WT cabin for a bit and stretch out/lie down on the many many empty seats?

Have you or would you do the same?

SF
Google have an event planned for 11-12 for which many people won't know whether they've got tickets yet so that will drive some bookings
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A P Yu
Unless its a Tuesday in February, or a flight to Kuwait, there wont be. There only has to be around 40 spare seats for a flight to 'look' wide open like that.
Sure, I get that, but if hypothetically a flight was near empty then there would be plenty of rows in WT that haven’t been ‘claimed’.

And that’s what we’re talking about, *if* a flight is empty could/would you pop back to WT to stretch out regardless of the status of my specific flight which is clearly not as empty as I thought.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
I have sat in WT with a WTP ticket for LHR-SIN, I saw on expert flyer that there were plenty of empty seats, so told the crew when I got onboard I would be moving. I sat in WT the whole flight (whole row to myself) and they even bought the WTP meal to my seat which I thought quite impressive.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by riku2
I have sat in WT with a WTP ticket for LHR-SIN, I saw on expert flyer that there were plenty of empty seats, so told the crew when I got onboard I would be moving. I sat in WT the whole flight (whole row to myself) and they even bought the WTP meal to my seat which I thought quite impressive.
So basically you have the TPs and meal + wine (presumably) from WTP (the only things that truly count when booking that cabin imho) and the space from 3x WT seats.

Best of all worlds.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
We Voluntarily downgraded ourselves for the SIN – LHR leg back from Australia cabin crew were more than happy and they even brought us the premium economy meal In our economy seats
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:09 am

Plus as a joint venture route with AA/IB/AY codeshare numbers available for sale on the same aircraft you also need to factor in these selling channels into the overall bigger picture.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Done this before and I’ve been offered it a couple of times as well actually when I was gold a couple years back. Used to take a lot of IAD midweek flights in off peak season in WTP and the london return was often very empty. No issue at all, I’d either just move back, ask on my way or get offered it. Much better sleep however I’m 6ft 4 and my legs would stick into the aisle!
Old Sep 17, 2019, 1:54 am

Wierdly, I don't sleep that comfortably in Y stretched out - I actually feel better off sitting in the seat the way it's meant to be used and reclining it and stretching my legs out fully (I'm not tall so it's easy). However, doing this with the luxury of an outside 3 to myself in a widebody would still be a very acceptable way to travel Y to me.

However It's been so long since I've flown longhaul at the back that I have no idea whether I'd still be sanguine about it (luxury problem). But have 2 kids now and planning an NZ trip so we may all be about to find out ;-)
Old Sep 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Pascoe
Wierdly, I don't sleep that comfortably in Y stretched out - I actually feel better off sitting in the seat the way it's meant to be used and reclining it and stretching my legs out fully (I'm not tall so it's easy). However, doing this with the luxury of an outside 3 to myself in a widebody would still be a very acceptable way to travel Y to me.
You're not the only one to think this, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one too.

When I get 3 economy seats to myself, what I prefer to do is to sit in the middle seat so that I can spread my arms/elbows out into the space that belongs to the seats on either side. Between that and stretching my legs as far as possible under the seat in front, I can often get pretty comfortable.

The touchstone of whether I have found a comfortable position is during the first few seconds when waking up. I sometimes feel that I'm lying flat on my back, because all of the muscles and nerves have got used to being where they are and are happy with it. It's only when I start to move that I can feel that I'm actually not.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
You're not the only one to think this, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one too.

When I get 3 economy seats to myself, what I prefer to do is to sit in the middle seat so that I can spread my arms/elbows out into the space that belongs to the seats on either side. Between that and stretching my legs as far as possible under the seat in front, I can often get pretty comfortable.

The touchstone of whether I have found a comfortable position is during the first few seconds when waking up. I sometimes feel that I'm lying flat on my back, because all of the muscles and nerves have got used to being where they are and are happy with it. It's only when I start to move that I can feel that I'm actually not.
When I did this a bit more regularly I had a whole routine worked out. I actually all thing being equal would procure a cushion / extra blanket, wad it up, and jam it down side by the window and then stretch out with my legs into the middle seat leg space. So not fully upright but not lying up on the 3 seats either (dodgy knees - never works well for me).

Then to sleep better I stick a hoody on or a light blanket, over my head, with earphones on and some very quiet, relaxing music on in order to drown out the cabin noises. Don't really get on too well with eyemasks so unless the cabin's brightly lit I tend not to bother.

So for me, the PE offering on any carrier really has to be quite decent to make me want to spend the money these days. I just don't get on with fixed armrests and don't really value those footstool thingies either. I am also not really an airborne wine buff (tend to find altitude related olfactory degredation means I don't get the best out of even decent vino).

So TPs (on OW), slightly better meal and half a chance of an op-up are really the only draws. And none of these are hard product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.