Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airway lost luggage day 6 and counting

Old Sep 12, 19, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

I am executive platinum on American and flew British Airways under the One World Alliance. I checked one bag from Rome to San Diego through London LHR and itís been 6 days and accounting and although the baggage service claims they have my bag, no one knows where it is in the world or when itís going to be delivered. I have called the 800# 2 to 3x per day and get the same exact story. I have yet to get a single proactive email, text or call from BA with a status. This is the WORST experience I have had flying with any reputable airline. Aside from their 800# to a call center in India that believe it or not claims to use ďfaxĒ to communicate with BA, does anyone have another local U.S. based number to call to get any information? This is ridiculous. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Do you have a WorldTracer reference for the bag? I think that common advice on here tends to be that this* should give you the most up to date information and to keep your desires forwarding/bag delivery address up to date here.

* The WorldTracer website
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Vbalsamo123 View Post
I am executive platinum on American and flew British Airways under the One World Alliance. I checked one bag from Rome to San Diego through London LHR and it’s been 6 days and accounting and although the baggage service claims they have my bag, no one knows where it is in the world or when it’s going to be delivered. I have called the 800# 2 to 3x per day and get the same exact story. I have yet to get a single proactive email, text or call from BA with a status.
This is the WORST experience I have had flying with any reputable airline. Aside from their 800# to a call center in India that believe it or not claims to use “fax” to communicate with BA, does anyone have another local U.S. based number to call to get any information? This is ridiculous. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
6 days is a long time. But at least they say they have it.
Originally Posted by CloudGazer View Post
* The WorldTracer website
Link---->https://www.sita.aero/solutions-and-...ts/worldtracer inf only
Link----> https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/WTRI...4-9CE27622C62D

The people you phone may no more information than what the link tells you.
The people you phone will personally not have the bag

BA forum thread (no idea if up to date) A tool for finding which BA offices are currently open (does not work now)

Edit
Lost property contact details?
Originally Posted by PantsFlyer View Post
Tonight we relised we had left our 5yr olds Table on our return flight from MCO to LGW which arrived on Saturday.

So I emailed [email protected] at 8pm tonight, and received a phone call by 21:30 confirming they had found it!
By 21:40 I had a Royal Mail tracking number for its delivery back to me.
I had to bay £7 for delivery and £20 for overnight storage.

Not a bad deal for BA correcting my error.
LHR may be [email protected] BA LHR lost property

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 13, 19 at 1:01 am
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Just stop phoning, it's a waste of time. The agents won't have anymore information than you can get via the WorldTracer site.

There are 2 possible outcomes :-

1. Your bag is lost forever. Claim against BA, and you'll receive compensation up to the limit agreed.

2. Your bag will eventually turn up, and you'll get a phone call saying it's going to be delivered.
Old Sep 13, 19, 12:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just wait - you are only wasting your own and other people's time by calling

Purchase what you need and keep receipts to send to BA - it is liable up to XDR1133

If bag is found , then you will be contacted to sort out delivery
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:06 am

Under the Montreal convention, if your checked bags have not arrived within 21 days they are officially considered lost
and you are entitled to compensation, even if you receive them later.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb
When buying 'essential' items only do so on the understanding that you may not see all the money again, or you may need to contact your travel insurance company for some of it. BA recently lost one of my bags for 11 days. They covered most of my cost (total cost = £270 refunded amount = £212) Its not a big deal, but really annoyed me, as I would much rather have had the bag and not had to use my time and money replacing things.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Hilton,
In addition to the above, If you paid using an Amex card you should have some decent “delayed baggage” coverage via the travel benefits provided.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:58 am

Programs: BA
Only 6 days and you call it the "worst"? I had BA losing my luggage for 4 months, now that is something. Just file a claim with your travel insurance and maybe BA will return your bag after the insurance had paid up.
Old Sep 13, 19, 4:06 am

I agree with earlier poster - stop phoning them, they don't have anything else to tell you that you can't read on World Tracer.

My bag was missing for over a week on my homebound journey last month.

Took a bit of chasing but they paid out on everything we claimed for - electric toothbrushes / electric shaver and a pile of expensive cosmetics.
Old Sep 13, 19, 4:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
interesting, that the OP states This is the WORST experience I have had flying with any reputable airline
I am not sure but I can guess a lot of us have had far more then just a delayed or lost bag
just saying
YacozA and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 4:18 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Vbalsamo123 View Post
This is the WORST experience I have had flying with any reputable airline.
What makes you say they're reputable? They certainly have a reputation for some things..
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
OP sorry to hear that BA has failed to deliver your bag, u can understand how frustrating this iScanner having had it with a number of airlines; sadly not unique to BA.

Whisky Iíd echo the points about WorldTracer, and in the meantime purchase what you need. Looks like some take the biscuit somewhat if they are purchasing electrical toothbrushes but hey, they may take their dental hygiene incredible seriously.

More importantly though, I think somehow you might of slipped through the net to receive your customary welcomes to FT and to the BA forum by one of our fabulous ambassadors, hopefully @corporate-wage-slave or one of his colleagues will be along imminently, but in the meantime welcome to the forum, I hope you find the information useful and that you manage to enjoy your time away despite the poor circumstances
Old Sep 13, 19, 6:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If this is the worst experience you have had as a frequent flyer, you are very, very lucky.

Bottom line here is that very few bags are delayed and even fewer lost. But, the key is not to waste your time or increase your blood pressure by calling. The phone agents with whom you speak do not know anything more than you know by looking up your WorldTracer number online. Anything not on the screen is just being said to calm you down.

Hopefully you had a few days clothing and did not pack valuables in checked luggage and the bag will turn up. So long as WorldTracer shows a good description and mobile number with country code, you will hear when you hear,

In the meantime, BA is good about reimbursing interim expenses. Simply keep them reasonable and documented with receipts. The maximum is approximately $1,650. If the bag does not show up, on the 21st day it is considered lost and you will be reimbursed the fair market value (not replacement cost) of the bag and its contents less any interim expenses. In other words, total payout will not exceed $1,650. Your travel insurance may cover above that and it may be easier to claim through that, all dependent on your policy.

Accept that you are powerless, that BA is not actively looking for your bag and that it either will or will not turn up.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 6:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes indeed welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Vbalsamo123, thanks for posting and do hope you are reunited with your luggage very swiftly. The strikes in London will perhaps have knocked out some capacity from the system, and may perhaps explain some of the delay. We're told that checked luggage delays are less common, proportionately, than in the past, but that won't be much comfort to you.

If you have got home, there is some presumption that you will have spare clothes (etc), and so you can not just dash to the shops to get a new outfit.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Sep 13, 19 at 5:28 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: