Compare Virgin 787 UP to BA Business

Old Sep 12, 19, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
Compare Virgin 787 UP to BA Business

I have a choice between BA business class and Virgin UP between LHR and SFO. Can I get opinions please as to which is preferable?
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Plat Elite
i just find the VS seats a bit too tight, and loathe the flip-over seat fuss.

yes BA has many drawbacks on the CW seat as well, but still find it better than the 787 upper class. plus if you like the window, at least you can look out the window when seated on BA!
BingBongBoy likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Both meh

But i would take BA over Virgin
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Is AA via LAX not an option?
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR
If I had no status and wasn't concerned about collecting status, I would choose VS largely because of the quality of the Clubhouse compared to BA business options. I don't mind the flip over bed, and coupled with direct aisle access it has some pros over the BA CW layout.

But bring status retention and the F and CCR lounges into it, and I'd choose BA.
Old Sep 12, 19, 1:23 pm

I've flown both on similar segments - BA LHR-SFO and VS LGW-LAS and I probably enjoyed BA's more.

BA's food was nicer - I had two full meals, rather than one meal and a random burger snack which wasn't very nice.
BA's seat is better too. VS's seat is so crap - it's poor for travelling with a partner, because it's closed in, but then also angled away from the window so you can't look out.

VS's bar is kind of cool, but it has like 3 seats, so can be highly contended. Also only on the 744 as far as I'm aware.

I'd go BA.
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I find VS's flip over bed annoying (and the seat in general not comfortable). Quality of food is, in my opinion, better on BA. I love the Clubhouse, but that's not enough to offset the rest on a flight of this duration.
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I've flown this with both last year. BA is the pick IMO.
Reason is simple: the VA seat is barely adjustable. You have to get up to fold it over itself to make a bed and the recline positions thereafter are nonexistent.
VA is a bit more private, but not hugely. First time I flew it, it felt magic. Last year it felt outshone by AA and others.
That said the middle and window seats in BA config require stepping over a sleeping passenger's legs, VA does not have this problem. VA also has more storage for items. Both points that make it sound better, but for me the rigid bed isn't the one if sleep is priority.
If lounge is important then VA totally owns BA on this front; T3 Club Lounge is great, BA's is sub par. That said, if you have BA status, you could go to Cathay and Qantas anyway.
Flip a coin?

PS. Forgot. The bar on VA is more irritating than good, IMO. If someone gets drunk and loud (happens every time) it's added noise. Too few seats to make it especially social. Staff use it as setup area too. If solo and you nab a seat it can be pleasant but it's not a deal-breaker.
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:25 pm

Deffo Virgin. Clubhouse is miles ahead of Terraces. Clubhouse in SFO is great too. You'll be on a 787. After the main meal, you can eat anytime on demand. You don't just have to have a "random burger" as there is lots of other food available for the second meal service.
mrow and cosmo74 like this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:36 pm

VA wins it hands down for me. I have no BA status so seat choice on booking is a big plus point. The VA Clubhouse is as good as the BA F lounge and approaches the CCR in areas like silver service dining. It definitely leaves the BA club lounge in the shade. I hate having to climb over people to get out of my seat and hate how cabin crew serve the adjacent passenger over the top of you if you are able to get an aisle seat. I actually like the flip over bed. It is way more comfortable than BA with the inevitable sagging footstool. BA CW is my choice when I have a reward booking with an AMEX 2-4-1 but otherwise VA wins on all counts
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by Definitas View Post
VA wins it hands down for me. I have no BA status so seat choice on booking is a big plus point. The VA Clubhouse is as good as the BA F lounge and approaches the CCR in areas like silver service dining. It definitely leaves the BA club lounge in the shade. I hate having to climb over people to get out of my seat and hate how cabin crew serve the adjacent passenger over the top of you if you are able to get an aisle seat. I actually like the flip over bed. It is way more comfortable than BA with the inevitable sagging footstool. BA CW is my choice when I have a reward booking with an AMEX 2-4-1 but otherwise VA wins on all counts
Well that's my mind made up .....not that I'll ever fly any Virgin routes right enough.

Is Virgin converting all their aircraft?
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
VS on the ground. BA in the air.

Choose by whichever is most important to you
HIDDY likes this.
Old Sep 13, 19, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj View Post
VS on the ground. BA in the air.

Choose by whichever is most important to you
Until BA gets rid if those awful 8 abreast seats its VA on the ground AND in the air
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
The VS seat is narrow, perfectly ok for slim to average built people but tight if you're a little bigger than some. I also thought the cushioning was a little harder than on BA. That said the lounge, food , drink , crew etc (soft product) was faultless and the bar was novel as long as you were not trying to sleep in the nearby seats.

For a day flight I would choose VS and a night flight BA.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's easy to dance on a pinhead here, and it's our favourite activity. In reality both services are good and enjoyable, you'll see some factors for and against, but unless (e.g.) window views is a really important factor then they are both good ways to cross to SFO. I'm assuming both aircraft are 787 (?). But for me, go the cheapest and/or best timed for you. If that's still equal then BA's most tangible difference is that their frequent flyer system is simply better.

Search this Thread