The alternatives to BA

Old Sep 12, 19, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
The alternatives to BA

I have been solely flying BA now for the past 6 years, with most of my bookings being part of a BA Holiday package. However, with the strikes continuing I am considering whether or not I should book with BA for a January city break.

I have started to look at alternative European airlines but they just donít seem to have holiday package options and/or they seem very expensive. For example a trip to Athens is cheapest on BA holidays, followed by EasyJet holidays and Aegean, well they are very costly. Although I donít want to fly a real LCC with a bad experience.

So what is a good alternative to BA Holidays in Europe? Or should I just hope for the strikes to clear and stick with BA?

(Feel free to move the thread if you feel it isnít in the right place)
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:06 am

Barring one irritating experience of being forced through the gate before the plane had even landed and being housed in what can only be described as a barn for 30mins, I've always been happy enough with easyJet. This was at BUD so hopefully no such treatment in Athens! That aside they have been fine.

That said I've never done an easyJet holiday. Is the price markedly different booking the flight with easyJet and then booking the hotel independently?

Edited to add: impossible to say with the strikes unfortunately.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Iíve only had terrible experience with EasyJet, I donít think Iíve actually had a trip with them land on time, obviously all under 3 hours delay though. In fairness I should say that one of my ATC friends swears by them and he doesnít seam to have any issues so maybe Iím just unlucky.
nancypants and stampcollector like this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica View Post
Barring one irritating experience of being forced through the gate before the plane had even landed and being housed in what can only be described as a barn for 30mins, I've always been happy enough with easyJet. This was at BUD so hopefully no such treatment in Athens! That aside they have been fine.
They do this at LIS too, so not just limited to one airport. One of the several reasons why I wonít fly with them again unless absolutely necessary.
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by cameramaker View Post
They do this at LIS too, so not just limited to one airport. One of the several reasons why I wonít fly with them again unless absolutely necessary.
Iíve had that with BA too. Iíve never booked a package with easyJet but regularly fly with them and book the hotel or apartment separately, Iíve never really felt the need to book a package, is there a reason youíre so keen to? If you go with easyJet, just make sure you book a speedy boarding seat, makes the whole experience better.
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Why not look at what the one line travel agents offer in terms of a hotel and airline?

for example Expedia offer packages LON to AMS using BA, KL and the LCCa
ppp909 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Jet2 has a huge Holidays style setup, including city breaks. It's not something I have personally used, but Jet2 are much more friendly as an airline than easyJet.
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Europe, I have flown with:

EasyJet
Air France
Lufthansa
KLM

EasyJet - Outbound from base on the first flight, fine. On time, clean aircraft etc. Inbound on later flights in the day, awful. Delays, aircraft untidy and rather dirty, with stuff on the floor and rubbish in seat pockets etc. Not overly impressed with them, all be it the leg room was passable and crew were pleasant.

Air France - Out of 4 flights, 2 resulted in broken bags, 1, bag went missing for 4 days and the 4th I missed my connection because the flight was a Hop! regional flight and it took ages to get through connections, even with a healthy 2 hour connection at booking.

Lufthansa - Fine. No issues, on time, planes immaculate, crew ok, dislike FRA with a passion though. Novel to fly the CRJ for the first time though... Cosy!

KLM - Baggage delayed on 3 out of 7 flights, which is why I really dislike itineraries with a connection as it just adds to the possibility. Their E190 fleet is very spacious and comfortable and had pleasant experiences onboard. Not a fan of AMS and the bussing operation for the CityHopper flights which sometimes I end up on. One big bonus was that I got an upgrade to Business for €260 from AMS to ACC which was a bargain.

I think they all have their issues, and if I had the choice of a direct from the UK with BA, or a connection with another, or with Easy, I would stick with BA possibly part due to familiarity, but also cuts out connections, the time they add and the possibilities of lost luggage etc.

Just my thoughts and experiences.
Crampedin13A and tynmar like this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 5:39 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Why not look at what the one line travel agents offer in terms of a hotel and airline?

for example Expedia offer packages LON to AMS using BA, KL and the LCCa
This. Thereís loads of OTAs that offer savings on flight and hotel bookings.

BA holidays do often have some great deals though
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
I'd stick to BA if you're happy with the package. Nothing wrong with flying another airline if you can get a similar flight/hotel package deal as long as it flies direct.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Why do you want to buy as a package? Booking separate may not be adding much to the bottom line and gives you a lot more flexibility.

Have a look at LH/OS. They have some Eastern European destinations you can't reach on BA. I found Chisinau in Moldova pretty amazing and very affordable.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:21 pm

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Well move to Aegean! They may be a little more expensive but they are the best in Europe. And the Miles&Bonus FF program is very easy to reach gold or silver. They give you vouchers to upgrade to Business if you fly certain Y classes. For me going to Greece is only with A3. Even in Economy they are light years ahead of BA.
mrow likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by cameramaker View Post
Similarly I never fly EK anymore in spite of having flights that are sometimes less costly than the competition. Enough with poor experiences at T3 in DXB and during flights...Tk and A3 provide great options, but take more time with stopovers, but with A3 *G their lounges provide suitable "compensation" 😉
mrow likes this.

Last edited by tmac100; Sep 12, 19 at 11:39 pm
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BA6948 View Post
Well move to Aegean! They may be a little more expensive but they are the best in Europe. And the Miles&Bonus FF program is very easy to reach gold or silver. They give you vouchers to upgrade to Business if you fly certain Y classes. For me going to Greece is only with A3. Even in Economy they are light years ahead of BA.
Yes, if I don't need to do transatlantic, A3 and TK provide excellent alternatives to flying thru LHR.
Old Sep 12, 19, 11:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Jet2 is great as far as they go. Flights tend to be at reasonable times too.

Search this Thread