Ba0207 to Miami cancelled tomorrow

Old Sep 12, 19, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold,honours diamond,spg Platinum,Marriott Platium
Ba0207 to Miami cancelled tomorrow

Ba have just informed me our first class flights 2-1 have been cancelled tomorrow 10.40 departure
they have downgraded us to business on 12.45 flight
my daughter who was on 2-1 flight plus a baby has been put on a flight at 4pm also in business
do we have any other options and are we entitled to any compensation
i checked in online at at 12.29 and got a text at13.12 telling me it was canceled
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
The rule is 75% of the cost of the downgraded sector. This is often more complex on 2-4-1 bookings since BA mostly “choose” to downgrade the passenger on the partner ticket, but in your case it is simple. 75% of the miles, cash (carrier charge excluding taxes) and 75% of the one-way part of the 2-4-1.

I would put in a claim for 2 * 75% of the one-way F class Avios as well as 75% of the cash paid, since it is impossible to halve a 2-4-1.

More information can be found in the excellent dedicated EU 261 compensation thread.
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:18 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
If you don't mind a connection then BA to PHL and then AA to MIA is workable and surprisingly there are seats in F on the internal leg. Might be some other options as well
Old Sep 12, 19, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'd concentrate your efforts for tomorrow on this thread, and go to the below after your holiday for full recompense

The 2019 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

In the meantime, I can see all other flights are full or thereabouts in F, I guess you may have to accept this otherwise route through an East Coast city; JFK etc
Old Sep 13, 19, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

After trying to get through to Ba for 3 hours got a nice lady that managed to get the 5 of us on a flight from Lgw to Mco in business.
thanks for the replys
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Did you have a through ticket to MCO or did BA allow the destination to be changed?
I still think BA is on the hook for downgrade reimbursement according to EU261 and not their simple “refund the Avios difference” method.
Old Sep 14, 19, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tafflyer View Post
Did you have a through ticket to MCO or did BA allow the destination to be changed?
I still think BA is on the hook for downgrade reimbursement according to EU261 and not their simple “refund the Avios difference” method.
MIA-MCO is 231 miles according to google maps. I think BA allow a change of airport within 300 miles ion cases of disruption?

In any case i would claim 75% of Avios for each passenger.
Old Sep 14, 19, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Our ticket was Abz to Mia return they let us change to Orlando so we could all fly on same plane.
are we able to claim 75% for all passengers we were on 2 2-4-1
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by alexb1212 View Post
Our ticket was Abz to Mia return they let us change to Orlando so we could all fly on same plane.
are we able to claim 75% for all passengers we were on 2 2-4-1
Have a look at this thread. It relates to what can be claimed by the person who benefited from the 2-4-1 voucher. There's no clear outcome but in the latter pages it seems likely that something can be claimed for those downgraded on a 2-4-1. I would suggest you start off with a claim for downgrade reimbursement for everyone (as in your case you were all downgraded) and take it from there.

2-4-1 downgrade and MCOL
Old Sep 17, 19, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If BA afforded a voluntary reroute to MCO, the EC 261/2004 reimbursement is out the window as BA will simply say that OP could have traveled on the next MIA flight with F availability. OP is nonethess contractually due a refund of the fare difference(s).
Old Sep 17, 19, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Do we get anything for the f to j downgrade there was no f to Miami on any of the flights that day
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:50 pm
formerly jonjparr

You didn’t want to just check-in to a nice hotel in Miami Beach and fly the next day in First?
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jp-mco View Post
You didn’t want to just check-in to a nice hotel in Miami Beach and fly the next day in First?
OP is trying to fly TO Miami, not from MIA to the UK.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:46 am
formerly jonjparr

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
OP is trying to fly TO Miami, not from MIA to the UK.
Whoops! I completely read that wrong. That will teach me to comment before I've had my morning coffee.
Old Sep 18, 19, 1:40 am

Programs: SK EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by alexb1212 View Post
Do we get anything for the f to j downgrade there was no f to Miami on any of the flights that day
Yes, you will get something back as a result of the downgrade - the question is whether it will be a recalculation by BA of your fare, or whether it will be the amount stipulated by the EC261 regulations.

The point Often1 makes is certainly one interpretation - bear in mind though that the content of the post turns on the very first word - "If ...". So *if* during your discussion with BA the agent offered for you to all fly at a later time in F, then that certainly makes your argument for EC261-based payment more tricky. Even then though I do not necessarily share the opinion that "reimbursement is out the window" for at least two reasons.

Firstly, and most importantly, when the flight was cancelled BA already "placed you in a lower cabin" - and your subsequent renegotiation that ended with changing the origin was based from that starting point, with the goal to keep the 5 of you together in a single group. Secondly, at least it would depend on when the "next available flight" with 4 seats (plus infant) in F that you were offered. If later that day, then yes, arguing for EC261 may be tricky; if more than 24 hours later then less so (in my opinion).

Given the change in starting point, and the combined used of two 2-4-1 vouchers you may have a prolonged battle on your hands to get something back that you consider reasonable - so I hope that you have returned (or will return) fully rested and fighting fit from your trip to Florida

Search this Thread