Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can a QR ticket be upgrade in airport on BA metal (AUP)

Old Sep 11, 19, 1:26 am
Original Poster

If yes can I get extra tier points??

thx in advance
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:35 am

I tried this flying AA on a Finnair ticket and they were unable to give me a price at JFK even though seats were available.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:04 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Certainly, you can get AUPs on AA tickets and BA metal, so I would assume the answer is yes.

BA manually posted the tier points and avios that were due, but I'm sceptical as to whether they should have - upgrades on QR metal certainly don't earn more.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Timmy Lai View Post

A QR or BA flight number? BA operated. What route?
Sold by QR. Fare booking class?
All details may make a difference

AA & BA have a much closer relationship than QR
Old Sep 11, 19, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Timmy Lai View Post

thx in advance
Just following this one. I've a booking on BA0123 LHR->DOH (but part of a longer route with another segment out of DOH on QR) later this year, booked on BA code, but QR ticket and had pondered in an idle moment the same question.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:20 am

Simple answer to that is No. A QR ticket with the E-ticket number starting from 157 has no option of being upgraded using Avios as it is not linked to the BA programme.
Old Sep 11, 19, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by salehir View Post
Simple answer to that is No. A QR ticket with the E-ticket number starting from 157 has no option of being upgraded using Avios as it is not linked to the BA programme.
They are asking about cash upgrades not UuA. I think those are available to anyone regardless of ticket stock but ISTBC on that.
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by salehir View Post
As per thread title, AUP, not POUG or Avios upgrades.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
AUP is available on BA operated flights regardless of marketing carrier or plating of eticket.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
AUP is available on BA operated flights regardless of marketing carrier or plating of eticket.
Thats handy to know, thanks. Any idea on the slightly more complicated question of whether a BAEC member, on a BA coded flight on BA metal, but AUPed on a QR ticket, would be awarded the Tier Points for the upgraded class. QR don't do it on their flights, but BA do on theirs. With this mix, who would win? I'm presuming BA would award directly to BAEC members as its their metal - it would probably make the difference for me to take it up if it was affordable as it might just get me close enough to Gold to then do a small TP run.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor View Post
Thats handy to know, thanks. Any idea on the slightly more complicated question of whether a BAEC member, on a BA coded flight on BA metal, but AUPed on a QR ticket, would be awarded the Tier Points for the upgraded class. QR don't do it on their flights, but BA do on theirs. With this mix, who would win? I'm presuming BA would award directly to BAEC members as its their metal - it would probably make the difference for me to take it up if it was affordable as it might just get me close enough to Gold to then do a small TP run.
not by default, but if you chase it up it should be fine. key is that its ba operated.
LimitingFactor likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:28 am

I know the OP is asking about AUP but as a related data point, the only time I have ever received an operational upgrade on a BA metal flight was on a code share, OAL plated ticket. Still no Gold greeting

Search this Thread