Shocking refund service from BA

Old Sep 10, 19, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards, Lufthansa, AA, SAA, Discovery Gold, Accor A Club, Southern Sun
Shocking refund service from BA

My BA flight from CDG to LHR T5 was canceled due to the IT SNAFU on 7 Aug as I was on my way to the airport. I decided to attempt to change my flight to an earlier one, as my app showed availability. Bad move. The BA staff at CDG were completely unhelpful and kept changing queuing protocols in a very obvious attempt to avoid talking to customers. After 90 minutes of getting absolutely nowhere, I went back into Paris and managed to get a room for the night. I managed to get a flight out next morning. I filed my claim later that day but still waiting for a response almost 5 weeks later. This is completely unacceptable.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you do a chargeback on the credit card used to purchase the original ticket?
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’m still waiting for a response to a cancellation the following Saturday 10/08.

I’ve had a “we’re working on it email” maybe 10 days ago.

I’ll give them a couple of more weeks before wasting time calling.
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It sounds to me as though this is not about a ticket refund, but rather an EC 261/2004 claim for duty of care, e.g. the hotel room and perhaps meals and local travel. If that is the case, there is no chargeback issue, but rather a reimbursement of out-of-pocket,.

At 33 days, it is hardly "shocking." I would expect 60-80 days at a minimum. You may well find pushback from BA if there were later flights available and you simply chose to spend the night.
Old Sep 10, 19, 2:43 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold
“Shocking”, come on..... The hyperbole on FT is getting out of hand
JAXBA, Often1, etiene and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: QR Gold, BA Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold Hertz PC
To be honest, basing on my previous experience with BA’s CR, 5 weeks waiting time is a lot. I usually get response within 2-3 days and refunds for hotel expenses within next 7 days after their response.
Even recently, just last week they replied to my refund form within 5 days despite the current situation.
I must say (at least in my cases) they are super quick and I’m always impressed by the quality of the support.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
I am waiting for a DOC refund for a claim submitted in July. Had my EU261 for the delay/cancellation but still in the queue for my hotel/meal claim.
Old Sep 10, 19, 9:49 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Silver, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold

Maybe what’s shocking is that BA is managing to condition some of its customers to accept ridiculously slow ticketing (including refund) services?

EI, AA and EK have all managed <48 hours refund times for me over the last year - for changes and cancellations that I requested.

Apart from poor IT, understaffed service centers or sheer laziness what’s stopping BA from doing the same?
Old Sep 11, 19, 12:52 am

I suspect that with the recent “events” (baggage outage, a prior IT/FLY outage, strike and relative cock-up) BA has a large backlog to work through. If the OP hasn’t got status on BA his claim will be lower in the pile.

Having said that, it took me six weeks to have a EC261 refund decision made by Lufthansa and another week to get the money. And 30 working days for a cancellation from an OTA.
nancypants and argonath like this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:52 am

Programs: BD Silver, HH Gold, BA Silver, CX Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus View Post

Maybe what’s shocking is that BA is managing to condition some of its customers to accept ridiculously slow ticketing (including refund) services?

EI, AA and EK have all managed <48 hours refund times for me over the last year - for changes and cancellations that I requested.

Apart from poor IT, understaffed service centers or sheer laziness what’s stopping BA from doing the same?
Agreed. I ended up cancelling my flight - rather than taking the alternative offered with Vueling 3 weeks ago during the Barcelona strikes and had my refund back on my card within 3 working days. In this day and age there is no reason a refund should take so long.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:16 am

I was significantly delayed that day getting to BRU. I filed an EC261 claim next day, called BA a week later and the helpful chap did the refund there and then. Popped into my account 2 days later.
Old Sep 11, 19, 6:08 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As this thread demonstrates, without details from OP, there is not much to be done.

1. Is this a refund of the air ticket he chose not to use. That is one of his options under the Regulation.
2. Is this a reimbursement for DOC expenses (not a refund)?

In the case of an unflown ticket, the former is easy as there is nothing to calculate or review. The latter may be a bit more complex and people who have used self-help do not necessarily have their expenses reimbursed without someone taking a bit of a look.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:30 am

BA do seem a little slow - cancelled a full-fare BA ticket 3 weeks ago within the 24 hours of booking, nothing yet. Similar thing with AA and it took about 1 day.
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Misconnect 14 June
Claim submitted 16 June
Email 2 July confirming EUR400 payable and cheque being sent
No cheque received, email on 15 July saying they would stop the check and happy to send an e-voucher instead

Roll on two months and they are still waiting to get confirmation the check has been stopped!

So yes things are taking a while
Old Sep 11, 19, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ajeleonard View Post
“Shocking”, come on..... The hyperbole on FT is getting out of hand
People being trained by clickbait tag lines. Here's 10 reasons why, you won't believe number 17.

Search this Thread