Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel return leg or no-show?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Cancel return leg or no-show?

Apologies if this has been answered (many times) before but could only find older threads from 2010 that might no longer be relevant.

Some months ago I booked a BA open jaw Y ticket (Q class) LHR-SIN and HKG-LHR. The outbound has been flown and the plan was that I’d make my way to HK for the return a few days from now on the weekend. With the protests going on I don’t really want to chance HKIA (or the access to it) getting closed again as I really need to be back in the UK the next day.

To give myself some options I’ve got a refundable (avios) alternative booked direct to LHR from KUL which isn’t too far from where I’m now. What would happen if I cancel the return of the HKG Y ticket just for the taxes, could this cause the ticket to be repriced as a one way? Or, if I go with the alternative, should I simply no-show in HK and potentially call on the day to indicate I won’t be able to take it which would at least free up the seat?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
After you have travelled the outbound it is OK to cancel the return. However I doubt you will get much money back. It would only be repriced before outbound travel had started.

I have been flying in and out of HKG several tines in the last week and it is more or less working normally.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I know it sounds obvious, and you probably have, but did you ask what it would be to change the original booking?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
After you have travelled the outbound it is OK to cancel the return. However I doubt you will get much money back. It would only be repriced before outbound travel had started.

I have been flying in and out of HKG several tines in the last week and it is more or less working normally.
Thank you, very useful to know.

Originally Posted by navylad
I know it sounds obvious, and you probably have, but did you ask what it would be to change the original booking?
Good point, I did check what fare classes were available for an alternative inbound departure point and had dismissed it purely because of that. A call couldn’t hurt indeed (assuming I can get through with the strikes this week).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.