FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   LHR to HKG - BA031 WTP or BA027 CW? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1986694-lhr-hkg-ba031-wtp-ba027-cw.html)

MikeBouch Sep 10, 2019 6:58 am

LHR to HKG - BA031 WTP or BA027 CW?

I am booked on BA031 LHR to HKG tomorrow (11/09) in WTP which was booked on a redemption when no CW seat were available, but when I looked today there is 9+ CW seats available on the later BA027 flight operated by a 777 with FR25 currently showing G-STGB.

Having flown CW on 747, A380 and 787 I know what to expect from the cabin/service - but as I haven't flown on a 777 before would people recommend it over the 'small' WTP cabin on the UD as I've heard the 777 CW cabin described as the 'dormitory' and assume the 388 is quieter and may be better for jetlag etc?

(The cost of the upgrade for those interested is £103 + £70 change fees and 39k Avios which we are more than happy to pay)

rossmacd Sep 10, 2019 7:01 am

I would be grabbing one of the CW seats with both hands for the very small cash and Avios outlay, despite the dormitory feeling that can apparent on the 777s. At the end of the day, it is a flatbed on an overnight flight.

That distance in an economy product would not be fun whatsoever.

The _Banking_Scot Sep 10, 2019 7:01 am

Hi,

For a long overnight flight, CW ( in all aircraft) should be better than WTP even if you do not intend to sleep for the extra space , privacy and better service. The A380 is better than the 777 but the CW seat trumps this.

Also as a BA blue per your profile you will get in CW extra baggage allowance, priority checkin and security and lounge access ( galleries club -all three lounges at LHR T5)

Regards

TBS

JamesKidd Sep 10, 2019 7:07 am

As mentioned above for a long overnight flight, I would opt for CW.

benjai Sep 10, 2019 7:35 am

CW on this route for an extra £170 + avios is worth it, even more so if you have no status. If you can somehow get CW on the return that would be even better with the nice lounges in HKG.

MikeBouch Sep 10, 2019 8:14 am

Thanks for the responses guys, I agree that the flatbed is definitely advantageous overnight and when thinking about food in the airport, drinks, lounge etc. we should get good value. So now to try and convince MrsBouch that flying at 21.45 is better than 18.15!

For the return we are flying from Seoul in CW on the 787, however much I would have loved to try some of the HKG lounges we can save that for another trip.

Mike

SK AAR Sep 10, 2019 8:30 am

HKG flights are empty now due to ongoing HK riots?

hartwith Sep 10, 2019 9:08 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 31510118)
HKG flights are empty now due to ongoing HK riots?

Yes. Loads are very low - case in point, you can book a return in J leaving tomorrow with VS for 2k return.