Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

1st Time BA Flyer (sorry for the questions!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Afternoon folks!

Going to NYC in October to treat the Mrs for her birthday and got a few questions wonder if you good people could help me out with.

Flying Edinburgh-Heathrow-JFK on a package holiday from BA in Y class.

Questions....

Best to do online check in for the 2 outbound flights rather than desk check in at Edinburgh then going to Flight Connections for tickets for the LHR-JFK flight?

Online check in..... more or less of a chance of upgrade possibility or it just pot luck?

Onboard meal, is the gourmet upgrade option at Ł18 worth it would you say over the standard meals provided?

Sure will have some more questions shortly!

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HGC, Spg
I believe if you check in at the desk in Edinburgh they will check you in for the onward flight to JFK.
Online check in means you may be offered a chance to upgrade for a price - which may be different from the price offered at the airport - there is a thread here about what are the current offers being made, you can see what's likely to be offered on your route. Bear in mind that the upgrade you will be offered from Y is to W, not J.
No idea about the food, sorry.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Checkin online for both flights. The agent in EDI will be able to give you paper boarding passes for EDI - LHR and LHR - JFK if you want.

The chances of a free upgrade are, in general, very low and it’s not worth getting your hopes up. You might be offered a cash upgrade online in Manage My Booking or when you checkin.

Cant comment on the ‘gourmet’ meals.

Enjoy NYC.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Check in at Edinburgh will be for both flights, you will get both boarding passes then.

I strongly recommend you use the BA app or web to check in online 24 hours before and you can choose a seat when you check in. By the time you get to the airport any seat choice will be very limited. You can check in online and choose to collect your boarding pass at the airport if you don't want to print your own or use a mobile boarding pass in the BA app.

Chance of upgrade is low and not predictable. Don't get your hopes up.

Most people who have tried the "gourmet option" don't rate it highly enough for the money, but it's your choice. For a special trip it might be nice. There are also many places in Heathrow to get food you can bring onto the aircraft, ranging from a sandwich at Pret through Itsu and similar to the quite nice little picnics from Fortnum & Mason or Plane Food (Gordon Ramsey's place). The second meal option on BA isn't very big on these flights, so if you want to do something special with food, bringing your own second meal/snack might be more worthwhile.

BA's economy food between London and New York is quite OK these days. Just make sure you get your wine for your meal when they do the drinks run - it's OK to ask for something like a G&T and also a wine for your meal when the trolley comes round with drinks.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
We always OLCI and print BPs for multiple sectors like yours (current trip is JER-LGW/LHR-IAD) without difficulty (BA’s IT permitting). Worst case, at bag-drop EDI should print your BPs for both sectors.

Never played the upgrade game, or flown Y for decades, so can’t help on the other questions.

(and what flatlander just said! )
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If you have not pre-paid for seats then check-in online as soon as the EDI-LHR flight opens for online check-in to get the best choice of seats (you'll also be able to select seats for the JFK flight at that time).
I don't think promotional upgrades are offered on connecting journeys, but you can enquire at LHR if the're offering any.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Also ,

The BA flight EDI-LHR will be BOB ( buy on board ) only for Y. Meals are provided free on Long haul unless you go for a premium meal.

On arrival at LHR from EDI follow signs for Flight connections (t5). going to JFK there will not be a security check at flight connections.

Coming back from JFK there will a passport check and security at T5 . With one ticket bags will be checked through and you will pick them up at EDI.

Remember to complete your ESTA and any BA.com advanced passenger info.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

thanks for the all the swift replies !!

being nearly 200cm tall, have got the twin seats booked on the 747 and 777 so bit more space for legs to side than in the standard 3 or 4 in a row. (hopefully!! )

going upto WT+ would been handy for that but the prices at time of booking didn't warrant what the difference was , best part 550 quid each more.

sounds like online is the way to go and then do the bag drop at EDI, hopefully!
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:38 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Agree with everyone else to check in at T-24.
Luckily this is T-24 from your first flight, not each flight, so you should still have a reasonable selection of seats as you'll get in there before no-status Y passengers flying directly from London.
I can see you took a decision to pay for seat selection which is wise if the money is worth it for you to remove the possibility of not getting what you want.
OLCI is still recommended in advance because it reduces your (small) chance of being selected for involuntary bump as you have shown you intend to fly.

You will need a document check if travelling to the US (check passport validity and ESTA).
Since you have luggage to drop off they should do it at bag drop in EDI.

Consider purchasing lounge access. It can make an occasion feel more special if you're not a regular in them.
https://www.edinburghairport.com/pre...lities/lounges

I find the food in BA Y just fine.
There are a number of free special meal options available for selection, but IMO none that give an omnivore significant benefits over the standard offering.
I agree with flatlander that you're likely to feel more special with some of the hampers available for purchase in the terminal than the BA gourmet meals.
https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...rling-menu.pdf
https://www.heathrow.com/file_source...icnic_Menu.pdf
I'd probably regard these as an addition to the in-flight offering rather than a replacement.
There is a thread somewhere about someone taking on Wagamama ramen noodles but I've never been brave enough on a plane (have done it on a train).

You may as well go for these travel enhancing options because if you're treating your wife to a trip to NYC your wallet is already as good as broken
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
There is a 4 year old thread here about the paid upgraded meals: Paid upgraded WT meals available

Lots of speculation, but if you filter that out, those who actually did purchase the meals seemed very happy with them.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you really would prefer to sit in WT+, you can look for either an upgrade option when you check in on line or ask at the airport if there are any paid upgrades (do emphasise "paid", so you are not seen to be asking for a freebie). You can ask for paid upgrades both in Edinburgh and in Heathrow (at a ticket desk, they are in the airside area near the transit train to the B and C gates). You may find the price is acceptable to you.

On this route, WT+ on the way back is the real winner: enough space to relax and snooze. Same applies to paid upgrades from JFK.

There are extensive threads on both:

Pro-active Online Upgrade (POUG) tracking and discussion | 2019 thread

Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2019 thread
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
I suggest that you check-in online at T-24 hours for your first flight but don't print / download your boarding pass. That way you can switch seats if a better seat becomes available. As you've booked a BA holiday you won't be offered an upgrade when you check-in on-line but suggest that you ask at the airport about prices to upgrade (although ask them to check about availability of seats together if you do upgrade if that is important to you.

I wouldn't pay for an upgraded meal but instead would put that money towards buying some of my own snacks for the flight (and / or some BOB on the connecting flight). You also might want to explore paid lounge options at EDI or LHR if you'll be there for long enough to justify it.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:32 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by flatlander
If you really would prefer to sit in WT+, you can look for either an upgrade option when you check in on line or ask at the airport if there are any paid upgrades (do emphasise "paid", so you are not seen to be asking for a freebie).
BOS-LHR WT+ was a massive difference to WT.
Not sure what I would have paid on my own $ but as a recovery gesture it was appreciated.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Agree ... don’t print the BPs, just check in at t-24h for both sectors and get the best seats you can ... FREE!

Not printing BPs makes it easier for BA to do an upgrade (HAHAHAHA ... but hope springs eternal).

Another thought ... OK, we fly CW and get all the bits and pieces. Consider any little in-flight luxuries and/or comforts that will get through Security ... and DON’T buy them at the airport! Eye masks, moisteners, fresheners ... little things like that you might find in a local Pound Shop. My wife never travels without her pack of Polo Mints!
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Gourmet meals aren't all that good, unfortunately. You get a bit more food, but it's not great quality, and I have been in a situation where I've had to wait ages for a drink because the meal was delivered early and the trolley hadn't caught up.

Conversely the meals in economy are pretty tasty. The chicken curry is very nice. You don't get all that much after that, but it's definitely OK and I wouldn't bother with the gourmet option anyway. Plenty of great food in NY anyway so keep your powder dry for that. And have a GREAT trip!

PS: printing or not printing BPs makes no difference to upgrades. You'll either get one or you won't.
DeathSlam and watersign like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.