Back to back Ex EU - baggage?

Old Sep 9, 19, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Back to back Ex EU - baggage?

Hi knowledgable Flyertalk people,

Could you share you wisdom in regards to check in baggage on an Ex EU flight?

I'm planning on flying from Sydney from Oslo, via LHR. I'll need to start in LHR and plan on a back to back positioning flight - with a turnaround transfer of around 45mins. Should I check in my bags to Oslo or drop off at Left Luggage at LHR and pick up later in the day?

Many thanks

Bankside
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Do not check any luggage to Oslo, or at least not if you want it in Sydney.... Hand luggage only, or leave planned hold luggage in London and check it in for the long haul. On the way back this gives you a problem though as your luggage will be going all the way to Oslo. If you have a b2b on the return also then you have no options other than hand luggage.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:40 am

Except that the chances are pretty high that you'd be able to short check luggage coming from Asia. US outstations are pretty hot on insisting bags are checked through to the ticket destination, Asian ones much less so. But you can't insist on it if you run into an agent who won't short check your bag.

You should be able to check your bag in for the long haul before you take the b2b, but again, you may find an agent who won't do it so have a plan B ready - usually dropping it at left luggage.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:43 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
To emphasise this, ex-EUs - with the exception of the last flight of the day, overnight, then first flight the following morning - are only possible with hand luggage. It’s not just a case of having to collect your bag, you then need to re-deposit it at the check-in at OSL - which will have closed before you even land.

As has been said, BA may not short check your bag to LHR either on the way home so you cannot B2B on your return either. You may want to consider pricing a return into LHR - it may not be much different.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post
To emphasise this, ex-EUs - with the exception of the last flight of the day, overnight, then first flight the following morning - are only possible with hand luggage. Itís not just a case of having to collect your bag, you then need to re-deposit it at the check-in at OSL - which will have closed before you even land.
To be precise, it's not ex-EUs per se, but B2B ex-EUs that should be HBO. If you leave several hours between flights, then there's not a problem.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Sydney isnít in Asia.

But wherever you are you cant rely on check in agents agreeing to short check.

windowontheAside likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
To be precise, it's not ex-EUs per se, but B2B ex-EUs that should be HBO. If you leave several hours between flights, then there's not a problem.
I wouldn't count on being able to go landside to retrieve and recheck bags if it's *only* several hours.
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:18 pm

Programs: *A
Another option is airportr. Just give them your lhr-syd flight details, and they will check your bag for those flights.
Old Sep 9, 19, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for your very prompt responses. It looks like Iíll be storing in the T5 left luggage and picking up on my return to LHR.
Ill also have to give some thought about having a delay at Oslo on the return trip which I know wonít be so much fun.

Thanks also for the tip tip regarding Portr. A great idea!
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
If you're taking BA and your b2b flight is on the same day as your flight to Sydney, you should be able to check your bags to Sydney before your positioning flight.
Do the online check in and put down unsure for number of bags, show the check in agent the boarding pass for the London to Sydney flight and it should be fine
Old Sep 9, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Be mindful if you do choose to go to Oslo and either check in before OR using Airportr that in the event of irrops you could be routed from OSL to your final destination avoiding LHR via DOH or HEL for example. Whilst it’s not a daily occurrence there is a thread someone of someone that went on his TP run with just the clothes on his back, his passport, iPad (?) and charger when this happen e. The ever resourceful CWS has a directory of launderettes globally for such events.

Again whilst its not been pointed out here if you choose not to do a B2B and allow a few hours this could be the worst thing to do if the aircraft for your OSL-LHR sector leaves for its outbound journey before the earlier flight. You need to have a back up plan to get to OSL.
Old Sep 9, 19, 11:34 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond, Mileage Plan member, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
Except that the chances are pretty high that you'd be able to short check luggage coming from Asia. US outstations are pretty hot on insisting bags are checked through to the ticket destination, Asian ones much less so. But you can't insist on it if you run into an agent who won't short check your bag.

You should be able to check your bag in for the long haul before you take the b2b, but again, you may find an agent who won't do it so have a plan B ready - usually dropping it at left luggage.
OP's itinerary does not include Asia or USA!
Old Sep 10, 19, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
One other option that I like is to do the back-to-back the night before, without an overnight in e.g., Oslo.

So if you were flying to Australia on Friday, you'd fly to Oslo on the second-to-last flight of Thursday, leaving Heathrow at 5.35, departing Oslo at 9.30 p.m. and getting in at 10.40 p.m. You then do whatever you'd normally do on Friday, giving you a free choice of LHR-HKG and LHR-SIN departures to route on to Australia on Friday, as none will take off more than 24h from the OSL-LHR landing in London. As such, you're not liable for APD or charged for a stopover but you can just show up with normal luggage for your outbound long-haul leg.

Last edited by Cymro; Sep 10, 19 at 5:28 am
Old Sep 10, 19, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that additional information, it appears there are quite a few options. Flyertalk is the place to come!
windowontheAside likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 4:58 am

Programs: QF P1, OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
One other option that I like is to do the back-to-back the night before, without an overnight in e.g., Oslo.

So if you were flying to Australia on Friday, you'd fly to Oslo on the second-to-last flight of the day, leaving Heathrow at 5.35, departing Oslo at 9.30 p.m. and getting in at 10.40 p.m. You then do whatever you'd normally do on Friday, giving you a free choice of LHR-HKG and LHR-SIN departures to route on to Australia on Friday, as none will take off more than 24h from the OSL-LHR landing in London. As such, you're not liable for APD or charged for a stopover but you can just show up with normal luggage for your outbound long-haul leg.
This is great advice I have done this before and find it works well, especially since I was living only a very short drive from Heathrow.

My favourite advice for the return is to try and book flights that arrive into LHR and depart LGW - your bags will be checked to LHR only, and it's pretty easy to "miss" your final leg. If you're lucky with irrops you might even be able to reschedule your last leg to be the first leg of your next b2b!

Search this Thread