Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I downgrade Business to coach on BA traveling in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I downgrade Business to coach on BA traveling in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Who did you book with?

If AA then ask them for the BA record locator then use that in the BA app or website, ensure your AA number is in the booking and once it recognises you as ex explat you will get the appropriate status benefits including seat selection.

i’m surprised the AA exec plat line didn’t tell you this,

if you booked via BA then again ensure your AA number is in the booking as above and that should allow you to select row 1 if it’s available. I
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:50 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Expect to pay for food and drink if you swap to Y.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Greenpen
No sane individual would swap an exit seat for a CE one. You could bribe them though, say Ł100?
I would generally always take a normal row with a spare middle over an exit row with someone next to me. And I'm quite sane, if I do say so myself. I wouldn't pay for one over the other though.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
No sane individual would swap an exit seat for a CE one.
Totally disagree.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:14 am

Here is a picture of a CE passenger enjoying their comfort and personal space on a recent flight.

In an economy exit seat there is several inches more leg room and the seat in front can't recline. I am in CE as well but only because there was no Y redemption available. I flew out in a Y exit seat and the middle seat was free. I would not pay (Avios or cash) for a CE seat.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Here is a picture of a CE passenger enjoying their comfort and personal space on a recent flight.

In an economy exit seat there is several inches more leg room and the seat in front can't recline. I am in CE as well but only because there was no Y redemption available. I flew out in a Y exit seat and the middle seat was free. I would not pay (Avios or cash) for a CE seat.
To be fair, he has slouched to rest his knees on the seat in-front if you work our where his pelvis is, it isn't at the back of the seat, but I'm sure you noticed that when you didn't include the back of the seat in the pic.

Last edited by navylad; Sep 10, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:41 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
The passenger in front has also reclined, so it is exaggerated somewhat. Though why would you recline your seat and then sit forward as that passenger does...

The camera angle is a little weird - I mistook it for a embraer as it look slike only 2 seats across
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hotels.com Gold
No sane individual would swap an exit seat for a CE one. You could bribe them though, say Ł100?
Depends on your height. I'm reasonably tall for a woman but still perfectly happy in CE as the pitch doesn't bother me. I would definitely swap exit ET for any CE seat, as I'd rather not be squished against somebody else's arm and I would be happy to get the food and drinks service and be (nearly) first off.

However it would depend on whether or not I was travelling solo. If only one seat was on offer I would not split up to get CE, and my husband would be in trouble if he took it... But if travelling alone, or with a colleague I don't like much, sure.

So, OP, look for shorter lone travellers.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by clubman
Totally disagree.
I disagree with your disagreement’

Given the virtual screams of anguish that pop up when someone loses an exit row because of a plane change or curtain roulette the exit row is pretty darn important to many people and the offer of a free drink and meal isn’t going to persuade many to swap.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Given the virtual screams of anguish that pop up when someone loses an exit row because of a plane change or curtain roulette the exit row is pretty darn important to many people and the offer of a free drink and meal isn’t going to persuade many to swap.
I thought that with NEO seats there was no appreciable difference in legroom in exit rows on A319/A320? I never pick those seats but when passing through the cabin I did not see that there was any difference.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And I know I am going to sound like a broken record but the fact is there is more legroom in row 2 than row 1.
PUCCI GALORE, Prospero and navylad like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
And I know I am going to sound like a broken record but the fact is there is more legroom in row 2 than row 1.
Indeed so - and if you don't slouch as in that photo - you'd be hard put to touch the seat in front.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 12:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Indeed so - and if you don't slouch as in that photo - you'd be hard put to touch the seat in front.
Also, the picture shows the former BD seat type which is more constrained at knee level than the Pinnacle seat fitted to aircraft operating out of Heathrow.
PUCCI GALORE and Ldnn1 like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I disagree with your disagreement’

So what you are saying is that anyone swapping an exit seat for a seat in CE couldn't possibly be a sane person?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, expect no one can recline into you in row 1 and there lies its biggest advantage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.