Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need help booking Australia - Asia using AVIOS or ??

Old Sep 9, 19, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles

Hi folks,

I was trying to put the best use of AVIOS (95k) for 3 Pax from PER-SYD and SYD-DPS and DPS-MNL.Its the first time i am trying to book using AVIOS, followed BA site, but not even single flight (Expecting Qantas) available for the entire month of DEC/JAN.

is this some thing wrong with BA site or its already been taken being high season (Dec 27th) . I am just looking for Y seats and flexible with any kind of stopovers in between if not a direct.

Please advise if i call BA and tell them that there are plenty of Qantas flights available with their award booking? do they honor it or should just transfer AVIOS to Qantas miles and book there directly?

Now, coming back to the next leg which is leaving from SYD to DPS then to MNL. Looking at the proximity of the award chart distance based..am i better off paying cash price or any other alternative to book the award space.

Cash fare from SYD to DPS (Jan 1st) is nothing less than $600 on cebu air on Y which is almost 8 hours flight. again.. from DPS to MNL(Jan 4th/5th) around $400.

I can see direct flight from SYD-MNL around $650 but i need to stay 3 night before heading to MNL.Appreciate any pointers as i am not familiar with other award booking other than AeroPlan.

I have total 95k AVIOS, MR-130K, AP 110K if these can be put to use some how to reduce $3000+ flights for 3 pax between SYD-DPs/MNL
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

cannot edit the title, but its actually from Australia to Asia. @moderator..can you please update or let me know how can i change the title.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Sep 9, 19 at 10:04 am Reason: Thread title corrected
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:23 pm

Programs: QF WP
Canít help with a lot of this but you canít transfer avios to qantas miles, they are not interchangeable

i imagine 27th December is high season but iíll have a look at the qantas redemption finder when I get a second, however itís unlikely to reflect availability for avios bookings

who are you proposing to fly DPS-MNL with? QF donít fly that route unless via sydney

eta: there is availability using QFF points PER-SYD-DPS on the 27th but only flex, no saver availability (and iím looking at this as a plat so probably seeing more than many are). As an aside, unless you have a pressing need to transit Sydney why not just fly PER-DPS direct?
mkannuri likes this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:00 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
I doubt you'll get much if any reward availability this close to peak season for the 27th December and 1st January flights. If you're lucky you may have some availability by the 4th/5th flights, but then again there won't be nonstop DPS-MNL options on Oneworld (the shortest Oneworld detour would be DPS-KUL-MNL on MH: there should be multiple options each day, certainly on the DPS-KUL leg).
nancypants and mkannuri like this.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Can’t help with a lot of this but you can’t transfer avios to qantas miles, they are not interchangeable

i imagine 27th December is high season but i’ll have a look at the qantas redemption finder when I get a second, however it’s unlikely to reflect availability for avios bookings

who are you proposing to fly DPS-MNL with? QF don’t fly that route unless via sydney

eta: there is availability using QFF points PER-SYD-DPS on the 27th but only flex, no saver availability (and i’m looking at this as a plat so probably seeing more than many are). As an aside, unless you have a pressing need to transit Sydney why not just fly PER-DPS direct?
Thanks for looking into nancypants actually i have to stay in SYD for new year. Here are my dates..
PER to SYD leaving either 26th night or 27th. currently TigerAir showing $274 cash fare
SYD to DPS leaving any time on Jan 1st. currently either JetStar or Garuda shwoing around $410 to $510
DPS to MNL leaving any time on Jan 4th currently cebu air showing around $193

I have 95k AVIOS and 100k MR, 110k Aero Plan miles i am trying to use the avios for the high cash fares..thats is eitehr PER-SYD and/or SYD-DPS.

so you have platinum access and showing some options? currently BA site is kept on erroring no matter how many times i search using direct link or awards.flights tool.

I read in the guide that they might release few seats when closer to departure but incase if they dont open..then i will even loose these cash fares..
Not sure how these cash fares of these budget airlines fluctuate though...

Appreciate any other work around to avoid these budget airlines which are already costing around $3k for 3 pax and not sure what other charges for baggage.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Too much travel View Post
I doubt you'll get much if any reward availability this close to peak season for the 27th December and 1st January flights. If you're lucky you may have some availability by the 4th/5th flights, but then again there won't be nonstop DPS-MNL options on Oneworld (the shortest Oneworld detour would be DPS-KUL-MNL on MH: there should be multiple options each day, certainly on the DPS-KUL leg).
thanks for feedback..i learnt this hard way..i thought economy flights are easy to find 3 to 4 months in advance having so many intra australia flights and many connections from SYD to ASIA. I ended up booking a 3 stop itinerary using Aero plan last week only and trying to book these intra australia flights and connect to asia where my inbound flight leaves from MNL.

only dilema is to wait until last minute (T-4/5/6/7) and risk loosing the cash fares or simply book these cash fares from budget airlines (Tigerair(PER_SYD), Jetstar(SYD-DPS), Cebu(DPS-MNL) which are currently at $3k CAD for 3 pax.
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:33 am

I wouldnít be combining TT with JQ, there are reliability issues, there is no interlining and almost certainly a change of terminal at SYD and unless youíre a complete masochist there is no good reason to not just take the direct JQ PER-DPS (or Garuda, or air Asia)

eta sorry missed your post re needing the Syd overnight

the 26th PER-SYD seems to have far more points availability (again, QFF availability showing for a QFFP), including cheapest if flexible on time. Will look at Syd-dps momentarily

Last edited by nancypants; Sep 10, 19 at 10:45 am
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:00 am
Original Poster

I wouldn’t be combining TT with JQ, there are reliability issues, there is no interlining and almost certainly a change of terminal at SYD and unless you’re a complete masochist there is no good reason to not just take the direct JQ PER-DPS (or Garuda, or air Asia)

eta sorry missed your post re needing the Syd overnight
I am not combining TT with JQ. They are individual flights.
I am staying in PER between Dec 24th - 27th morning (3 Nights) but as the cheapest option on Dec 26th midnight reaching 27th Morning 7am by TT for $275. No other option even close to this price..thats why i have chosen this red eye, budget air reluctantly. I would love to leave on Dec 27th morning or afternoon from PER-SYD if possible

Regarding SYD-DPS, I am staying in sydney from Dec 27th-Jan 01st morning and can leave any time on 1st Jan to reach DPS.
the cheapest option google flights showing me as JQ (jetstar) for $410..Garuda or Qantas or any other flights not even close to $500.

As i never booked/traveled this side of the world before not sure how these airlines operate, price point as well as delays.

DPS-MNL seems to be reasonable price point by 5j (Cebu) around $195 on Jan 5th..can live with cash fare as i dont have enough AVIOS to cover these after redeeming for PER-SYD, SYD-DPS (if they are available anyways)

did not understood what QFFP means..may be they are related to Qantas own miles? will they bookable using avios directly or should i convert either MR or AVIOS into Qantas miles?
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:06 am

Yes I edited my post as itís 2am and I had missed the required SYD stopover

qffp = qantas frequent flyer platinum (the actual FT abbreviation is WP but that is harder to explain)

given that some award availability is showing and at cheapest levels, I would suggest phoning BA and seeing if they can book it manually- I believe the waive any phone fees if the website is playing up

there is various QF points availability for the 1st from SYD-DPS, routing via Melbourne/Brisbane/cairns/Gold Coast opens up some extra options for QF/JQ

as a general comments re this side of the world- QF is obviously full service, checked bags, meals etc included. JQ is low cost but owned by QF, generally reliable (other than the last flight of the day which can be a bit hit and miss). VA is kind of a hybrid carrier, I think all fares have baggage and drinks and snacks rather than meals. TT is VAís low cost arm. They are very much a LCC, and their reliability is really quite hit and miss, to the point that I only fly with them if I am completely desperate and there are literally no other options
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:20 am
Original Poster

qffp = qantas frequent flyer platinum (the actual FT abbreviation is WP but that is harder to explain)
given that some award availability is showing and at cheapest levels, I would suggest phoning BA and seeing if they can book it manually- I believe the waive any phone fees if the website is playing up
there is various QF points availability for the 1st from SYD-DPS, routing via Melbourne/Brisbane/cairns/Gold Coast opens up some extra options for QF/JQ
as a general comments re this side of the world- QF is obviously full service, checked bags, meals etc included. JQ is low cost but owned by QF, generally reliable (other than the last flight of the day which can be a bit hit and miss). VA is kind of a hybrid carrier, I think all fares have baggage and drinks and snacks rather than meals. TT is VAís low cost arm. They are very much a LCC, and their reliability is really quite hit and miss, to the point that I only fly with them if I am completely desperate and there are literally no other options
Thank you so much Nancypants, you really raised my hopes of redeeming the AVIOS if BA can manually book. That will really save thousands of $$.
Is there any particular number i should call or general North America reservation number? i remember readin in this forum to call some UK toll free number though?

Secondly, as i cannot see them, can you please thow the flight numbers and timings so that i can feed them with confidence that they are indeed available in QF ??

Really appreciate you help
Old Sep 10, 19, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Just called BA, they dont see any availability and they said they cannot book it manually and what ever their system throws it. :-(
My hopes are on Limbo again :-(
Old Sep 10, 19, 4:17 pm

Did i see you have MR points? Can they be transferred somewhere? I donít think qantas is a partner but is virgin?
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Did i see you have MR points? Can they be transferred somewhere? I don’t think qantas is a partner but is virgin?
it looks like they can be transferred @ 1:1.2. so 100k MR will get 120k which will get only 2 tickets from PER-SYD in Y.
I guess its not worth as PER-SYD is costing in QF points around 50 to 60k Per Person..AVIOS will cost 13000 oneway in Y.

Unless i am missing some thing..i dont think its worth to transfer MR to QF to book in Qantas site.

Last edited by mkannuri; Sep 10, 19 at 6:52 pm

Search this Thread