Check bags for tight connection at LHR?

Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Check bags for tight connection at LHR?

Hi— I’m flying BA from EWR into LHR on Saturday morning and have a connecting BA flight to FCO about 80 minutes later. I know this is tight. I’m debating checking my bags. Connection is in the same terminal on same ticket so it’s not the end of the world...but...

Originally I was going to carry on. If I don’t make the connecting flight then at least I’d have my bag. I don’t actually need the bag though so I guess it’s more a security blanket thing.

Then I was thinking I should check. I have no status on BA so if I had to gate check, the gate check could actually result in missing the connection in the first place. Or does BA Gate check through to final destination?

What if my bags make it and I don’t?

Anyway I appreciate all advice and perspective!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
In my limited experience, 80 minutes is more than enough. In my worst case I've had one delay that meant 45 minutes between SFO and AMS and my bag made it through.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,
I agree that 80mins should be sufficient and if the bags make it they will be likely to be off loaded if you do not board ( I have been on a few SH flights where we have had to wait for bags to be found and off loaded as the pax did not arrive in time)

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Sep 9, 2019 at 6:52 am
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
IME bags are often through T5 quicker than pax...

The bags will be offloaded and retagged with your new journey if you don't make the LHR-FCO. They won't travel without you.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I personally would check the bag, delays happen and if you end up having to run, the less to restrain you in any case, and less risk of being caught up at security. If necessary take a small rucksack with a toothbrush and a change of clothes, but as others have said in any case your bag will usually make it if you do, and if you don’t, and are rerouted, your bag will either also be rerouted or could be returned to you if you have to overnight and recheck in the morning.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
So best to get my track shoes out of the bag then and keep them with me! Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
General rule is that if the passenger can make it, the bag certainly can.

In any event, I would always pack the first 3-4 days of clothing in the generous carry-on allowance, making it a much easier choice and less hassle should things go wrong.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
80mins is enough time to make the connection with the bags checked through

I think you do not have enough time to collect and recheck your bags at lhr

your bags will be tagged through to fco. if you ask for the bags to be short checked to lhr you will probably struggle. this has been clamped down on to prevent people not completing their journey. to get the bags short checked you would need an overnight or a change of airports.

if the bag is through checked and you miss the connection and end up overnight in heathrow then you can ask for your bag to be retrieved. your bag will not go to fco without you on the plane
Old Sep 9, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: BA EC

Ask them to expedite your luggage?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by neofung

Ask them to expedite your luggage?
expediated/rush bags are for baggage that has been delayed, there is no need to in this case, just check the bag at the start and pick it up st the end, they may well put on a short transfer label.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by kac2138
Hi— I’m flying BA from EWR into LHR on Saturday morning and have a connecting BA flight to FCO about 80 minutes later. I know this is tight. I’m debating checking my bags. Connection is in the same terminal on same ticket so it’s not the end of the world...but...

Originally I was going to carry on. If I don’t make the connecting flight then at least I’d have my bag. I don’t actually need the bag though so I guess it’s more a security blanket thing.

Then I was thinking I should check. I have no status on BA so if I had to gate check, the gate check could actually result in missing the connection in the first place. Or does BA Gate check through to final destination?

What if my bags make it and I don’t?

Anyway I appreciate all advice and perspective!
80 minutes, plenty of time
I have made connections in the past of 70 & 75 minutes which both were reduced to less than an hour due to delays. it's stressful but still doable.
Due do delay and problems reaching the gate my shortest connection was about 45min between getting off the plane and push back of my next flight. That was the only time so far my bag didn't make the connection and I had to sprint through the airport. My bag arrived on the same flight 24h later.

If you don't make it, your bags will be offloaded as a flight won't leave with bags of passengers that don't show up.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:36 am

BA put a short connection tag onto the bag.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:39 am

80 minutes is about 50 minutes more than you need. You will have plenty of time for a leisurely wander through security then a visit to a lounge. Your bags will make it with time to spare.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: BA
I had done ABZ-LHR-SIN with 60m scheduled at LHR, and the ABZ flight was 15m late. I think it took longer for me to get from the remote stand to T5, then T5C than my bag.

The bag still came out on the belt at SIN before I cleared immigration at SIN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.