FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Outstation lounges on strike days (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1986534-outstation-lounges-strike-days.html)

rsak Sep 9, 2019 3:53 am

Outstation lounges on strike days

I'm at FCO awaiting my flight to LCY (rearranged from LGW) in a couple of hours. Surprised to find that the BA lounge is closed. While there are no LHR and LGW bound flights from here today, flights to LCY are operating (as well as other OW flights, presumably) - so seems a bit ridiculous that the lounge is closed. Is it BA policy to not operate any lounges on strike days such as today?

navylad Sep 9, 2019 3:57 am

A shame to hear this; certainly there is a lunge upon at T5 for the few passengers who are flying today. Did they tell you in advance? I would definitely ensure you follow this up, perhaps twitter might be the way to go with a good phot of the closed lounge to gain traction.

rossmacd Sep 9, 2019 4:22 am

How many lounge eligible passengers would there be on a 98 seat aircraft? (considering it is a strike day, probably more than 'normal'), but even if it was a third of the aircraft, I don't think opening the lounge would be wise just for one flight.

That being said, provision should be made by way of vouchers or some such in my opinion.

Zzzap Sep 9, 2019 4:32 am

AMS lounge is open today for LCY flights. It was delightfully quiet as a result.

mikeyfly Sep 9, 2019 4:34 am

I imagine to mitigate losses today a lot of cost cutting has been made; saw catering was also reduced last night in CE flights.

nancypants Sep 9, 2019 4:34 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd (Post 31505927)
How many lounge eligible passengers would there be on a 98 seat aircraft? (considering it is a strike day, probably more than 'normal'), but even if it was a third of the aircraft, I don't think opening the lounge would be wise just for one flight.

That being said, provision should be made by way of vouchers or some such in my opinion.

all more unintended consequences- I wonder if the lounge staff still get paid if they are given an enforced day off for this?

i don’t know FCO well, are there other OW lounges? Presumably there are other OW flights?

mikeyfly Sep 9, 2019 5:34 am

With workers rights in Europe I don't imagine they can be forced off work unpaid at short notice

nancypants Sep 9, 2019 5:44 am

With zero hours contracts being quite normal in a lot of places I rather think it might be easier than you imagine 😉

golfmad Sep 9, 2019 5:52 am

I'm in the BA lounge in T7 JFK at the moment. It's extremely quiet!

VSLover Sep 9, 2019 5:52 am

Originally Posted by nancypants (Post 31506038)
With zero hours contracts being quite normal in a lot of places I rather think it might be easier than you imagine 😉

exactly, especially given contract work in most all outstations. still, this would be annoying though because LCY is operating.

rsak Sep 9, 2019 6:21 am

Update: the lounge is open for reduced hours today and tomorrow (for about 2 hours before the lone LCY flight departs). The food offering seems to be slightly pared down, but that seems reasonable.

Quite a lot of passengers here! Would make sense given that BAEC elites probably had a higher chance of being rebooked onto this flight...

navylad Sep 9, 2019 7:11 am

Originally Posted by rsak (Post 31506112)
Update: the lounge is open for reduced hours today and tomorrow (for about 2 hours before the lone LCY flight departs). The food offering seems to be slightly pared down, but that seems reasonable.

Quite a lot of passengers here! Would make sense given that BAEC elites probably had a higher chance of being rebooked onto this flight...

thanks for the update, seams reasonable, shame they didn’t inform you in advance so you can adjust your plans accordingly. safe flight

golfmad Sep 9, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by golfmad (Post 31506055)
I'm in the BA lounge in T7 JFK at the moment. It's extremely quiet!

Now the ANA flight to Tokyo has just been cancelled due to the typhoon.

bluemoon68 Sep 9, 2019 10:24 am

BA lounge at Barbados also shut. I accept that there are no BA flights today, but I’m now rebooked on American, which should have given me access.

navylad Sep 9, 2019 10:29 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68 (Post 31507005)
BA lounge at Barbados also shut. I accept that there are no BA flights today, but I’m now rebooked on American, which should have given me access.

no it’s for BA passengers. If it was also for AA passengers it would be listed as such in the OW Longe guide

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...7c5cb63e0.jpeg