Visa issues On Qatar booked with BA

Old Sep 8, 19, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Hello all
long time lurker and first time poster here
Hoping to get some advice on an issue
I booked a multi city to Doha on a BA ticket so I could stop in London on my way back
JFK - DOHA - LHR - JFK
I had read Qatar airways will provide a refund if a Qatar visa isnít issued
unfortunately my Qatar visa application was denied. My flight is in a few days I am unable to reapply in time for the flight. BA is quoting almost twice as much the original ticket to cancel the Doha flight
I do need to be in London but I canít afdord the pay this change fee
I contemplated taking the first flight and buying a separate ticket back to JFK (it is cheaper)
should i I cancel the flights ahead of time with BA. I donít know if they will attempt to charge me for this.
I contemplated getting on the first flat and forfeiting the remaining theee. However As the first flight is ticketed to DOHA with a short layover in London. I wonder if I would even be allowed to check in / board without a visa
any advice will will be very helpful

Many apologies for all the typos above.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Sep 8, 19 at 11:55 am Reason: Merge posts to help member with initial per day post limit
Old Sep 8, 19, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
If you transiting in Doha I donít think you need a visa. There is an airside hotel as well where you can stay.
as far as I remember I never had to pass immigration in Doha if I just transiting airside.
Old Sep 8, 19, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Having transited DOH several times you don't need a visa as long as you remain airside but I guess there may be a limit on how much time you can spend in transit.

Last edited by Hubbabridge; Sep 8, 19 at 12:29 pm Reason: Accuracy
Old Sep 8, 19, 12:33 pm

Location: Macau SAR. HKG (office) and KEN (work that out - clue, UK)
Programs: BA Silver, Asia Miles, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
Citizenship, passport issuing country............. and previous countries visited on the passort you are trasvelling with before any advice can be offered.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 8, 19, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Doha was the final destination so I applied for a visitors visa as I wouldnít be entitled to a transit visa
I have a Nigerian passport , currently working in the US so country visited prior will be US
Old Sep 8, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
How long were you planning on spending in Doha? I am not sure, maybe others on here could confirm, but would it not be cheaper to maybe book a separate onwards ticket so you would be transiting DOH only. Seychelles or Kenya maybe? Neither of which would pose a problem with a Nigerian passport? I see you can also get visa on arrival in Iran, but that would likely then cause issues with your US visa.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is not even close to enough information to provide a useful answer.

As with all international journeys, the passenger should check TIMATIC for document requirements. Access is free through a number of portals. UA's happens to be an easy UI and asks all of the questions in narrative form:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...aspx?i=TIMATIC

Terms such as "layover" and "short" do not mean anything. You will need exact information as it will affect transit and therefore documents.

Indeed if your are flying JFK-DOH-LHR with less than 24 hours at DOH, QR will want to confirm your admissibility or the viability of transit (2 hours vs. 23 hours) at both DOH and LHR.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL (98% to Lifetime Gold), SPG convert from IHG (and Marriott fan now!)
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
As with all international journeys, the passenger should check TIMATIC for document requirements. Access is free through a number of portals. UA's happens to be an easy UI and asks all of the questions in narrative form:
Seconded - always important not to commit $ If thereís risk on visa. Iíve got a Russia trip coming up but flights are reward and hotel is cancellable until I get my passport back
navylad likes this.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BX1276 View Post
Hello all
long time lurker and first time poster here
Hoping to get some advice on an issue
I booked a multi city to Doha on a BA ticket so I could stop in London on my way back JFK - DOHA - LHR - JFK
I had read Qatar airways will provide a refund if a Qatar visa isn’t issued
unfortunately my Qatar visa application was denied. My flight is in a few days I am unable to reapply in time for the flight. BA is quoting almost twice as much the original ticket to cancel the Doha flight
I do need to be in London but I can’t afford the pay this change fee
I contemplated taking the first flight and buying a separate ticket back to JFK (it is cheaper)
should I I cancel the flights ahead of time with BA. I don’t know if they will attempt to charge me for this.
I contemplated getting on the first flat and forfeiting the remaining three. However As the first flight is ticketed to DOHA with a short layover in London. I wonder if I would even be allowed to check in / board without a visa
any advice will will be very helpful
Originally Posted by BX1276 View Post
Doha was the final destination so I applied for a visitors visa as I wouldn’t be entitled to a transit visa
I have a Nigerian passport , currently working in the US so country visited prior will be US
So the route JFK-LHR-DOH-LHR-JFK? With the first LHR a short transit.
Class of travel? Booked a long time ago? A cheap ticket with no or limited changes allowed?
The BA quote may be for a change of fare booking class.
Worth asking about a full cancellation and checking other airlines for NYC (JFK EWR) LHR

As post above booking / paying for a ticket with having the visa's is a risk
Visa for UK OK?
Will be an expensive lesson. Such is life.
Old Sep 8, 19, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I wasnít very clear
JFK - LHR - DOHA - LHR - JFK
(JFK - LHR BA operated , LHR - DOHA QAtar airways operated) I donít believe I will be allowed to start this journey as my final destination on the first flight is Qatar and I currently do not have a visa.
I have applied for the E - VISA with Qatar in the past with no issues. Iím shocked it wasnít approved this time around (I applied as soon as I got the ticket like Iíve done in the past - the visa application is simpler once you have an e ticket or Qatar airways PNR code). Unfortunately I donít have enough time to re apply. I hoped it would be possible to cancel the DOHA flights leaving just JFK - LHR - JFK. I will likely have to cancel the ticket entirely, swallow my loss and book new tickets to London. Thank you all for your comments.
Old Sep 9, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is not even close to enough information to provide a useful answer.

Terms such as "layover" and "short" do not mean anything. You will need exact information as it will affect transit and therefore documents.

Indeed if your are flying JFK-DOH-LHR with less than 24 hours at DOH, QR will want to confirm your admissibility or the viability of transit (2 hours vs. 23 hours) at both DOH and LHR.
Don't know if it helps as a lot of factors however I once had a 23 hr layover in Doha flying business on Qatar. They arranged the equivalent of a temp visa and provided a hotel in the city for the layover, with transport as part of the bus class fare. Immigration, both exiting and coming back airside was done in a separate area..... Maybe ask QR if they can help?
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We still do not have complete and accurate information from OP. What flights on what days. It is going to make a difference and dealing in speculation can make for a very uncomfortable and unproductive situation.
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
In any case, whilst accepting it was booked through BA, and the initial flight is BA, they wonít allow you to board without a visa to your final destination, which given your flight into your final destination is operated by QR into Qatar, the OP may well find more assistance in the QR forum.

Looking at other forum threads, there seams to be a high level of fraudulently obtaining access to Qatar from Nigerian nationals (people asking for advice about tourist visa and then going on to ask for advice regarding employment for example) although this is clearly not the case for the OP, I can understand the frustration and do wonder if an actual reason for the refusal was provided.
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Hello All

No reason was given for the refusal. I uploaded copies of documents showing my legal status in the US which Iíve done in the past. I wasnít aware of Nigerian nationals trying to gain access to Qatar fraudulently like navylad mentioned - Thats disappointing. I do intend to reach out to the ministry of interior for some feedback on my application later on. I called Qatar airways but they unfortunately couldnít provide much assistance as it was a BA ticket

Going to Doha on this particular trip wasnít important. I needed to be in London and while searching for tickets saw fares to LHR and DOHA were fairly similar. So I decided I could spend the weekend in Doha before heading back to London on Monday.

In the end - I just booked a separate trip to LHR. I also moved my original trip forward and canceled the Doha part of the ticket. I was entitled to a tax refund which covered the $275 change fee while still leaving me with some change.

Thank you all once again for your comments and input.
navylad and wijibintheair like this.

Last edited by BX1276; Sep 9, 19 at 9:27 am

Search this Thread