FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Bring your own ..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1986443-bring-your-own.html)

Jean2019 Sep 8, 2019 10:24 am

Bring your own .....

Good afternoon all,

Traveling to Vienna in economy via T3 (after the strike) and plan to buy a bottle of vodka in the non-duty free shelves in the T3 World Duty 3 shop. Only a short stay in Vienna, and a litre of voddy is overkill. :)

i understand that BA doesn’t object to buying and bringing a picnic on board but if I buy a couple of cans of cola on board is their any objection to opening my voddy?

I’m old enough to exercise self-control, but wouldn’t dream of doing this if it were frowned on in any way.

Any advice appreciated.

Jean

Obruni Boy Sep 8, 2019 10:38 am

There is may be a policy against it and you’re not supposed to open duty free in transit. (I see now you’re not using duty free). That said just do it and don't make a fuss or issue over it. I am sure the flight attendants aren’t bothered. If BA expect you to buy drinks they shouldn’t make a problem of anyone bringing their own.

dsf Sep 8, 2019 10:45 am

1 Attachment(s)
Just last week I noticed High Life magazine says consuming your own alcohol onboard isn't allowed. I didn't recognise the message, it sounded like a new rule to me but I'm open to correction. As to whether it's enforced I cannot comment, but to admit to having taken a can of beer from the lounge onboard a couple of times without issue / being caught.

Brisbane Road Sep 8, 2019 10:50 am

If you keep it discrete, you'll be absolutely fine I'm sure.

Jean2019 Sep 8, 2019 10:52 am

Originally Posted by dsf (Post 31503768)
Just last week I noticed High Life magazine says consuming your own alcohol onboard isn't allowed. I didn't recognise the message, it sounded like a new rule to me but I'm open to correction. As to whether it's enforced I cannot comment, but to admit to having taken a can of beer from the lounge onboard a couple of times without issue / being caught.

Thanks for that. It’s clear it is discouraging this but I find it odd that is says “should not” rather than “must not”. Apart from the reasonable concern of people over drinking I don’t see the difference between eating carried on sandwiches compared to voddy.

That seems a clear steer not to, and if it is against the law or BA terms it’s a shame they don’t simply say so - but hopefully I’ll receive some more views.

Thanks again.

stampcollector Sep 8, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by dsf (Post 31503768)

Ths is often (always) policy on (UK) airlines as it allows the crew to monitor your intake so they can cut you off if they think you've had too much, something which is hard to do if everyone has a bottle of smirnoff from duty free hidden in their bag!! (It is infact a crime to be drunk on an aircraft (definitely British, not sure about aircraft registered elsewhere)).

sunshinebob Sep 8, 2019 11:14 am

Take an empty bottle of mineral water and decant a snifter or two of the Vodka into it before you board.

Leave it in plain sight and no one will give two hoots that you diluting your mixer.

Have a great trip..

HIDDY Sep 8, 2019 11:17 am

As long as you don't start singing over German airspace I recon you'll be okay....you seem sensible about it. ^

RichP Sep 8, 2019 11:19 am

If I were going down this route I'd be inclined to decant some of the vodka into a smaller container and use that to mix my drinks on board, rather than pour from a large bottle. From a purely logistical perspective, pouring from a small bottle might be easier as well!

krispy84 Sep 8, 2019 11:19 am

Perhaps call it Vodka rather than Voddy and you might get away with it 😁

djbenedict Sep 8, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31503871)
Perhaps call it Vodka rather than Voddy and you might get away with it 😁

But n.b. the opposite if you are drinking Bollinger ;-)

jerry a. laska Sep 8, 2019 1:01 pm

Have a look at the discussion here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...-allows-9.html

Confus Sep 8, 2019 1:27 pm

There's no need to be discreet (or discrete, for those so inclined), BA mainline policy is that customers are permitted to consume their own alcohol onboard. They will even happily provide you with a free plastic cup from the BoB trolley to enable you to do it in a relatively civilised manner. If the crew become concerned with how much you have drunk they will ask you to stop - at this point it becomes an offence not to comply.

I recently had a chat with a CSM who happened also to be a crew trainer about this (he watched me bring out a speedbird ale from my bag!)... he said that on BA at least there are far more 'valid' customers wanting to do this than problems with those who do, so they see no need to ban it outright. And long may that continue.

Duck1981 Sep 8, 2019 1:49 pm

I brought yesterday 2 cans of Tiger from the lounge with me on board of my flight to AUH to make my flight in Y more manageable and it was no problem :)
Last year on an AA flight to LAX my friendly neighbour pulled me a glass of the small bottle of whiskey he brought on board

unnecessary to say, CC was not happy and 5min later the CSD came to check if we need anything (believe he just wanted to see if we were intoxicated).

Of course we were not :)

MFCC Sep 8, 2019 3:42 pm

Customers are permitted to drink their own alcohol on board a BA aircraft. However, should the amount drunk become problematic then the crew are able to confiscate any ‘voddy’ passengers may have brought onboard with them. The confiscated alcohol will be returned at the end of the sector.