Wiki Posts
Search

Bring your own .....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks All ......

Outward and return travel kit - courtesy of Intercontinental Hotel’s mini-bar(s) .....

Thanks All,
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:48 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by djbenedict

But n.b. the opposite if you are drinking Bollinger ;-)
But only if you are Joanna Lumley
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
But only if you are Joanna Lumley
Followed by the obligatory “darling”.

Can be used as a question, a statement and a demand.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:20 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dsf
Just last week I noticed High Life magazine says consuming your own alcohol onboard isn't allowed.
I had understood this to be the case for many years, Both duty free and paid.
All the traveller responses on this thread would seem to indicate otherwise and that duty paid is ok.
There may be a difference between what is acceptable in practice and what is in the rules.
If you don't make a twonk of yourself I can imagine CC have better things to do.
Break the seal on duty free bag and it's not going to make it through a security check, but since you're on a direct flight that might not be a consideration.,
Old Sep 10, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
I’m more worried about the light fingered people on the thread than those drinking sensible.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
....as noted above it is allowed on BA - albeit the highlife magazine seems to have dreamed up it's own policy!
Page 114 of the current issue (Sept. ‘19) of High Life states, “Customers should not consume alcohol brought on to the aircraft by themselves or another customer.”
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:59 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Page 114 of the current issue (Sept. ‘19) of High Life states, “Customers should not consume alcohol brought on to the aircraft by themselves or another customer.”
As per Post 3 on this very thread.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by dsf
Just last week I noticed High Life magazine says consuming your own alcohol onboard isn't allowed. I didn't recognise the message, it sounded like a new rule to me but I'm open to correction. As to whether it's enforced I cannot comment, but to admit to having taken a can of beer from the lounge onboard a couple of times without issue / being caught.
As an engineer, I would take me definition of should not from RFC 2119 - https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

should not This phrase, or the phrase "not recommended" mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances when the particular behavior is acceptable or even useful, but the full implications should be understood and the case carefully weighed before implementing any behavior described with this label.
atmorris, alex67500 and krispy84 like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold, Radisson Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
I had understood this to be the case for many years, Both duty free and paid.
All the traveller responses on this thread would seem to indicate otherwise and that duty paid is ok.
There may be a difference between what is acceptable in practice and what is in the rules.
This was discussed extensively when BOB was brought in: Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?

The basic legality is it is not illegal. It is up to the airlines to say if its allowed. "Low cost"* airlines tend to ban them, often because their customers are more likely to be downing a bottle of duty free at 6am, and then having a fight.

When BA changed the rules so there was a reason to "Bring on board", this was deemed to be ok.

There is often a lot of referral to it being illegal, indeed, on "low cost" airlines, who probably use that phrase because it is a bit moot as to whether its illegal in the country, versus illegal on their airline because they can say what is legal onboard.

It might actually be illegal over continental US, and US airlines.

* "Low cost" is quoted by me, because I regard this as a marketing term rather than any particularly low costs, unless you are fine flying at 5am on a Wednesday morning. For instance a jet2 flight with luggage and booked seat next July from Birmingham to Budapest currently sells as £50 more than Club Europe London to Budapest on the same days.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by DorsetKnob
Ahhh the old terraces (football not lounge) trick
Or the old "I'm flying back to Saudi" trick !!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:55 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Smid
This was discussed extensively when BOB was brought in: Bring on Board... The exact rules on alcohol? BA allows it?.
Thanks for the pointer. It's an interesting read.
I think the answer is "It depends" and "Are you being a d*ck or obviously p*ssed".
Clearly not illegal by UK law at time of press.
Being allowed to consume alcohol but not being allowed to be drunk is a bit like being allowed to eat food but not be overweight. If you want a definition of drunk see above.
The intention here is that we don't have a safety problem with intoxicated passengers. This happens frequently and an airline that ignores it is not meeting their duty of care. Setting down a standard for this is going to be difficult. A complete moron who downs 2L of duty free vodka in 30 mins and causes a diversion due to their behaviour is clearly committing a criminal offensive. On the other side of the scale a frequent traveller who has 50 or 100mL of their favourite beverage that isn't available for BoB so should not be dissuaded. A set of three people who crack open a bottle of rum and go through it with free cokes and ice I can see as being either side of the line. I have certainly drunk more than that in CC monitored beverage distribution and only once in 30 travelling years on BA been told 'last one' but never actually denied.

Last edited by DeathSlam; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:12 am Reason: small grammar issues
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Gold (woohoo)
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
“Customers should not consume alcohol brought on to the aircraft by themselves or another customer.”
"Should not" rather than "Must not" because its not illegal so they can't stop you (provided you're not drunk). "Should not" so they deter weak willed rule followers, thereby increasing the market for their BOB offering...

Call me a cynic...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.