FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Bring your own ..... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1986443-bring-your-own.html)

krispy84 Sep 8, 2019 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by djbenedict (Post 31504139)

But n.b. the opposite if you are drinking Bollinger ;-)

Au contraire, it’s always Bol-an-jay to me 🥂

babats Sep 9, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Jean2019 (Post 31503706)
Good afternoon all,

Traveling to Vienna in economy via T3 (after the strike) and plan to buy a bottle of vodka in the non-duty free shelves in the T3 World Duty 3 shop. Only a short stay in Vienna, and a litre of voddy is overkill. :)

i understand that BA doesn’t object to buying and bringing a picnic on board but if I buy a couple of cans of cola on board is their any objection to opening my voddy?

I’m old enough to exercise self-control, but wouldn’t dream of doing this if it were frowned on in any way.

Any advice appreciated.

Jean

Surely you won't be allowed to take the liquid back through security on the return journey?

bigwalrus Sep 9, 2019 1:21 am

What about a handful of miniatures in hand luggage (safely contained within the usual clear plastic bag?)

That way you can leave your duty free purchase untouched and it gives you something to decanter the leftover vodka into for your return journey.

The_Bouncer Sep 9, 2019 2:37 am

Instead of cans of Coke, buy a couple of small bottles and doctor them up before you board.

KARFA Sep 9, 2019 3:23 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer (Post 31505773)
Instead of cans of Coke, buy a couple of small bottles and doctor them up before you board.

that seems quite sad. as noted above it is allowed on BA - albeit the highlife magazine seems to have dreamed up it's own policy!

Jean2019 Sep 9, 2019 3:27 am

Originally Posted by babats (Post 31505590)
Surely you won't be allowed to take the liquid back through security on the return journey?

Thanks ... I don't intend to.

BlueThroughCrimp Sep 9, 2019 3:33 am

Get some oranges and pre-infuse them with the vodka ;)

DorsetKnob Sep 9, 2019 4:12 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp (Post 31505852)

Ahhh the old terraces (football not lounge) trick

BlueThroughCrimp Sep 9, 2019 4:33 am

Originally Posted by DorsetKnob (Post 31505911)
Ahhh the old terraces (football not lounge) trick

Oh yes!

salut0 Sep 9, 2019 4:46 am

Originally Posted by krispy84 (Post 31503871)
Perhaps call it Vodka rather than Voddy and you might get away with it 😁

Or as long as you don’t start too early in the morning drinking Voddy with your brekky. Maybe a side of veggies would help? It’s probably more traditional to have an accompanying toastie but some might like a cookie. Does anyone in Scotland drink theirs with a roastie?

Worcester Sep 9, 2019 5:16 am

Originally Posted by salut0 (Post 31505965)

Or as long as you don’t start too early in the morning drinking Voddy with your brekky.

Bloody Mary?

gingerlucy Sep 9, 2019 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Jean2019 (Post 31503706)
Good afternoon all,

Traveling to Vienna in economy via T3 (after the strike) and plan to buy a bottle of vodka in the non-duty free shelves in the T3 World Duty 3 shop. Only a short stay in Vienna, and a litre of voddy is overkill. :)

i understand that BA doesn’t object to buying and bringing a picnic on board but if I buy a couple of cans of cola on board is their any objection to opening my voddy?

I’m old enough to exercise self-control, but wouldn’t dream of doing this if it were frowned on in any way.

Any advice appreciated.

Jean

We often do this if not travelling in CE as it is much cheaper than the BoB drinks prices in ET.

The key is to ask nicely in advance - do not assume. I think if you ask first the CC get the "right impression" that you are not there to get hammered, whereas if they catch you in the act it may look less like something they feel able to condone. I always phrase it along the lines of "if it's alright with you, and of course it's fine if the answer is no, but would it be OK if..." We wait for the BoB trolley to reach us to ask this (this may require some patience) unless during boarding the crew member happens to be loitering near us with nothing else to do. We don't otherwise interrupt them.

I would also not pull out a whole litre of vodka. If we are doing this we buy one of the little bottles of spirits from the shop - not minatures but the 20cl bottles that are usually found on the approach to the tills, like this:

https://uk.worlddutyfree.com/ukm_en/...el-20cl-2.html

We also buy a couple of cans of coke (or alternatively may on occasion consider liberating a can of mixer from a lounge, don't tell).

The size of the bottle again makes it clearer to the CC that we aren't planning on getting outrageously drunk - shared between two it is two doubles each which is enough but not outrageous and within the bounds of what BA would usually be OK serving anyway. We show them the bottle once the BoB trolley reaches us and ask if it is OK if we share this during the flight and if so please could we have some cups and ice. We also like to buy some food at the same time, both to reassure that it won't be on an empty stomach and because as I understand it they are on commission so lose out by us drinking our own.

We've done this a lot and never been denied. Responses have ranged from immediate approval, to a jokey (although perhaps with some underlying seriousness) warning not to get drunk, to going to check with someone first, but it has never been a no.

If your intention, however, is that you want to buy a litre of vodka in order to (eventually) take it home with you, rather than your goal actually being a lower cost option for plane drinking, ignore my comments on the small bottle but perhaps say outright that you only intend to have one or two, not the whole thing! The rest should hold.

VSLover Sep 9, 2019 5:41 am

there is a difference between opening your bottle on a flight to/from ibiza or mykonos...and basically every other city LOL. those rules are there for a reason :)

Smid Sep 9, 2019 5:47 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp (Post 31505852)

OhOhOh.

Vodka Jellys made at home! Brought through security (I assume they'll not be turned back, or be over 50ml).

Make you feel like you're at a teenage party again...

Smid Sep 9, 2019 5:50 am

Previously you used to get about 2 x 50ml bottles on a trip over in Y in Shorthaul when they were free.

You can get a 100ml empty bottle from the shops, fill with vodka (at home if you want, avoided Duty Paid), and take through security.

Also shows no intention of letting it get out of control, it only being 100ml.

Don't repeat my mistake, and mix up the bottles when refilling, and use the one previously used for mouthwash. Minty vodka and diet coke isn't great...