FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Travel agent UuA issue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1986428-travel-agent-uua-issue.html)

sudge27 Sep 8, 2019 8:34 am

Travel agent UuA issue

Sorry for a new thread but a lot of the previous ones I found were from a while ago. I just booked a WTP return trip to the US (to ORD and back from AUS) and then tried to upgrade with avios over the phone to be told this was not possible. It’s all on BA metal with a 125 ticket number. Is the BA contact correct here or have the travel agent sold me a lower fare class of ticket? The fare class of ticket was not advertised anywhere (aside from being WTP) and now they are trying to sting me with a £75 cancellation fee, saying that no travel agent tickets are upgradable. Extremely frustrating!

UKtravelbear Sep 8, 2019 8:59 am

Have you met all the conditions as per the guide in this thread

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...9-edition.html

It’s possible your TA sold you for example a consolidator fare which aren’t upgradable

As to the cancellation fee that’s down to the TA charging that even if BA wouldn’t due to cancelling within 24 hours (another reason for booking direct with BA)

hanmer Sep 8, 2019 9:02 am

From the dadshboard

02 UuA on BA only flight, booked through a travel agency

The ability to upgrade Travel Agent (TA) issued tickets is possible since 17 July 2012, with corporate net tickets from 24 July 2012. Unfortunately, marine fares are not eligible. There are a number of criteria, and broadly follow the same terms and conditions as Upgrade Using Avios (UUA) on a normal booking:
  • The country in which the TA is in must be the same as the address in your BAEC profile for you to be able to UUA. So if your TA is in the USA and booked the tickets from there, and your BAEC profile is in UK, unfortunately you're out of luck.
  • Tickets can be upgraded into the cabin immediately above the cabin booked. Note that for EuroTraveller and World Traveller bookings, O, Q and G fares cannot be upgraded.
  • The flights must be BA-coded and on BA metal. For example, a QF-codeshare on BA metal will not be eligible. If your booking includes non-BA flights, it will not be eligible for UuA
  • A booking that has already been part flown will not be upgradeable.
  • You can upgrade using the Manage My Booking (MMB) facility and select the Upgrade this flight using Avios.
  • Upgrades are only possible if there is redemption availability in the cabin you want to upgrade into. Bulk Ticket and Included Tour tickets cannot be upgraded.
  • You will pay for the fees associated with the upgrade using Avios, eg, additional taxes.
  • Once the upgrade takes place, BA re-issues the ticket and is then responsible for servicing the ticket for any changes for the re-issued ticket, not the travel agent.
  • This means BA will be the contact for communications regarding any changes to the upgraded tickets. However, BA will not take ownership of the PNR and any other non-flight arrangements.
  • If the upgraded ticket(s) need to be cancelled, then the passenger must contact their local BA centre.
  • The travel agent cannot make changes on behalf of the passenger unless the TA is a nominee on the passenger's BAEC account.
  • Generally, if any changes are to be made to an upgraded ticket, it is advisable to contact both BA and the travel agent, in case there are elements of the PNR that require action by both parties.
  • If you change your flights, your upgrade will be preserved if there is award availability in that class for the new flight, even within 24hrs.
  • Otherwise, miles will be refunded, subject to "redemption charge" if outside 24hrs, or tough luck; nada within 24hrs.

Bri

Globaliser Sep 8, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 31503446)
It’s possible your TA sold you for example a consolidator fare which aren’t upgradable

This would be my first guess too.

It's this bit of the post in the sticky thread that hanmer has posted: "Bulk Ticket and Included Tour tickets cannot be upgraded."

JeaJea Nov 8, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi,
Last week I bought two tickets through Chase UR in Premium Economy that I thought would be upgradable but was told by BA that they are issued through Chase travel and must be changed by Chase. Fare class E and T. I called Chase and they said they would upgrade for 4k (which was more than one ticket in PE cost on BA) Tickets are from the JFK to KWI departing Jan 7 for a week, with a stopover in London. This thread makes it sound like these tickets are upgradable but that is not what I am experiencing. I have tried to upgrade on BA using manage my booking and get the error "This flight is unavailable for change." I thought the error might be because an upgradable seat was not yet available but what the BA agent told me is because it was booked through Chase travel. Has anyone else had this experience? This is my first time booking using Chase UR on BA so I am not sure what the facts are or if this is a situation that has changed recently.