YQ differences between LON and Rest UK

Old Sep 7, 19, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-GGL, UA 1K, DL FO
YQ differences between LON and Rest UK

I had been quite positive on recent developments in BA. One of these is the reduction in YQ for economy flights that actually make Avios seem worthwhile for US based flyers (I wouldn't really want to fly AA during their mechanics dispute even if you could find sensible flights from New York). I finally went to use it because I need a one-way to Edinburgh/Glasgow

Alas while the YQ (now labeled Insurance and Security Surcharge, which I had not noticed before) is only $65 for New York - London, the extra segment increases it to $175. There was no Avios availability separately for London - Edinburgh and the available flights seemed to be forced by some married segment logic.

It's a painful premium for those needing to connect. I'm guessing $175 applied to London before and it's just the recent reduction that has been more targeted. I just went for the United instead. AT 30k miles it's probably a wash depending on how you value the points but at least it's non-stop.
Old Sep 7, 19, 1:56 pm

Location: Macau SAR. HKG (office) and KEN (work that out - clue, UK)
Programs: BA Silver, Asia Miles, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Spire Ambassador
How far did you go through the booking process,

For Avios redemption earlier this year ex Asia if you proceeded to the booking page the crazy excess disappeared down to about £30.
Old Sep 7, 19, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA-GGL, UA 1K, DL FO
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
How far did you go through the booking process,

For Avios redemption earlier this year ex Asia if you proceeded to the booking page the crazy excess disappeared down to about £30.
far enough, the initial estimate when you choose your flights was only around $140 but it shot up on the next page so Iím assume the $220 figure is the correct one
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Deleted

Last edited by Blueboys999; Sep 8, 19 at 12:01 am Reason: discussed on other thread

Search this Thread