Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Holidays - Car Hire Package Also Charged by Avis

Old Sep 7, 19, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Just got back from a BA Holidays Flight + Car package, only to find that Avis have charged my credit card what is presumably the amount agreed between BA and Avis.

The BA rental agreement was 14th Aug 18.00 until 30th Aug 18.20 Group K. Actual pickup time was 14th Aug 20.10 until 30th Aug 17.16 Group K.
I've downloaded the receipt from the Avis website and it is clear that it is the basic package charge that I've been billed US$1,168.03. All other options were declined, but in any case the LDW excess for the US rental was $0, full tank confirmed on the receipt and no mention of any other fees.

Minimum Charge $866.15
Taxable $165.22
Sales Tax $105.72
3% Tennessee Surcharge $30.94
Total $1,168.03

Unfortunately both Avis and BA Customer Services lines seem to be closed at weekends but am hoping this is not going to be the bun fight to sort out that I suspect it could be... I'm assuming I need to contact BA CS first of all.

I can see the odd thread about something similar but does seem to be a fairly rare occurrence. Has anybody had any recent experience?
Old Sep 7, 19, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold
Hi - I assume you handed the Avis agent your prepaid voucher on pick up where they should have corrected things. Best sort this out with Avis directly with the voucher as evidence it was pre paid.
Old Sep 7, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Personally I would be trying to deal with BA Holidays. The OP had the contract with BA Holidays for the hire of the car, and you have more chance of sensible customer service from BA Hols compared to Avis who are mostly shocking for after sales issues. Last resort - your credit card issuer.
ppp909 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks. In reply I didn't touch the sales counter as I'm Avis preferred so went straight to the car as my name was on the board. Never had an issue doing this at other locations so assume there is another reason.

I've already spoken to Amex to suspend the transaction as £1k on the card is too much to ignore for me.

Its just unfortunate that CS are not open weekends and is obviously going to be harder to get through at the moment due to the strike issues.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by hillwalker2004 View Post
Thanks. In reply I didn't touch the sales counter as I'm Avis preferred so went straight to the car as my name was on the board. Never had an issue doing this at other locations so assume there is another reason.

I've already spoken to Amex to suspend the transaction as £1k on the card is too much to ignore for me.

Its just unfortunate that CS are not open weekends and is obviously going to be harder to get through at the moment due to the strike issues.
fair enough and makes sense. I am also Avis preferred but also pop into the office with voucher to ensure its sorted. I have no idea how Avis process otherwise. My comment around contacting Avis is that my past experiences have been good.

By all means BA can contact Avis on your behalf which may help but avis need to provide the refund here. All the best getting it sorted.
Old Sep 7, 19, 9:48 am

Programs: Yes
I once spent two hours in New Orleans getting this sorted. Never had that problem in Europe, but in the US they seem to get confused with these vouchers. In my case they somehow keyed in the GBP value instead of the USD value, and even when I queried why the invoice didn’t zero out they said something like “oh it’s fine” which of course it wasn’t. The rental invoices are ridiculously difficult to read especially if there’s a voucher involved. I’m extra careful now, which doesn’t mean I will be able to avoid issues, so thanks for reminding me.
Old Sep 7, 19, 10:01 am

I had exactly this in Vegas last summer, except it was obvious when they handed me the bill at the end rather than when I got home. It took the location manager (who, to his credit, really cared about fixing it there and then) the best part of an hour to fix. He had to log into a separate, apparently obsolete computer system that is needed sometimes to fix really intractable problems.

He he said it would be possible to leave and get it fixed later, but obviously felt that a better customer experience would be for him to fix it at the time.

I think mine arose arose because I picked the car up at about 4am the next morning rather than late at night when my flight had arrived. I had cleared this with both Avis and ba hols in advance.
Old Sep 7, 19, 6:13 pm

10 days into an email exchange with Avis about a BA booking and no further forward.

New credit card changes each day with no invoice and no indication hat they are for. Over $200 and should be zero.
Old Sep 11, 19, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

In the end I tried speaking to Avis CS who after some looking into the issue stated that the local office for whatever reason failed to apply the BA voucher. As a result I became liable for the cost. In fairness they were apologetic and have since received the mail below. Either way still a bit poor as the car hire element was 1k GBP!

May still have a bit of a moan to BA CS but main thing is that it is getting resolved albeit with a bit of time and stress!

Dear Mr x,

Thank you for contacting Avis regarding your rental xxx from NASHVILLE INTL AIRPORT, NASHVILLE, TN US (BNA) on x/xx/19.

I have reviewed your rental charges and would like to extend my most sincere apologies as the additional charge you have identified has been applied in error and should not have been charged. I have therefore performed a refund in the amount of 1008 GBP and the funds will be available on your Amex ending xxxx in a maximum of 5-7 working days.

Additionally, a corrected invoice is currently being generated and will be available on the Avis website within the next 36 hours.

Please be advised that all errors such as this are monitored internally in order to prevent the same errors from occurring in the future as part of a programme of continuous improvement and to provide the best possible rental experience for all customers.

Should you require any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to help.

Thank you for your custom and understanding.
lavajava likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 12:07 am

Iíve had this multiple times in Europe. The biggest annoyance is their not realising the issue (when the final receipt is not Ä0) I still prefer Avis across Europe and especially with BA. The price you pay, I guess!
Old Sep 12, 19, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
This is one of the reasons now why I avoid booking flight and car package with BA. It's an all too regular occurrence.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jimmauk View Post
This is one of the reasons now why I avoid booking flight and car package with BA. It's an all too regular occurrence.
I've booked many flight/car packages with BA, in Europe, Australia and the US, and have never had an issue.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
I've booked many flight/car packages with BA, in Europe, Australia and the US, and have never had an issue.
And if preferred and pre paid voucher and your car is assigned do you just get in and drive away without providing the voucher? Just trying to work out of Avis clearly know about the the voucher and it covers the cost.

Glad to hear you haven't had any issue before.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by lavajava View Post
And if preferred and pre paid voucher and your car is assigned do you just get in and drive away without providing the voucher? Just trying to work out of Avis clearly know about the the voucher and it covers the cost.

Glad to hear you haven't had any issue before.
I've done so several times in Miami and once in Las Vegas. The voucher has always been applied however one of the times in Miami they charged me an extra fee which was clearly included as per the voucher. Upon presentation of the voucher to the local supervisor it was sorted after lots of typing.
Old Sep 12, 19, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC
I too have never had any problems with this (touch wood) but I always take the voucher and I check the app beforehand - if it says “Avis Corporate Charge Card” in the Payment Choice section (rather than my Amex) I’m pretty happy it’ll all be OK

Search this Thread