Search

Full CE to RAK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Full CE to RAK

Flying LHR RAK on BA668 on 23 October.
I know it's the middle of the school holiday (but in fact a week day not the busiest Friday/Saturday) and the first 8 rows of CE are booked/blocked? Not the case on any of the other flights this week with most of the time row 1 empty and available.
Any idea what could be a reason?
Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Sophoclefr
Flying LHR RAK on BA668 on 23 October.
I know it's the middle of the school holiday (but in fact a week day not the busiest Friday/Saturday) and the first 8 rows of CE are booked/blocked? Not the case on any of the other flights this week with most of the time row 1 empty and available.
Any idea what could be a reason?
Thanks!
there is a big conference in marakkesh oct 24 to 26

5th International Symposium on Socio-Ecological Systems: Risks and Insecurity to Sustainability and Resilience
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by scottishpoet

5th International Symposium on Socio-Ecological Systems: Risks and Insecurity to Sustainability and Resilience
Ah yes, very ecological and sustainable, everyone flying there. ooops.
IAMORGAN and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:42 pm

Not being smart, but BA is always pretty full.

It can always fill its planes. It does so, very often, at high ticket prices too.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Would participants in this conference be likely to travel in CE or to have elite status (to pick seats for free in advance)? Socio-ecology isn't finance/consulting/IT.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
My guess is

Politicians
university professors
consultants/ IT types / data scientist going to the conference to talk about their solutions

Not sure how people would get to an international conference in RAK without flying.

There was a similar type event in KTW a couple of years ago. Flights to KRK were mobbed, not just BA
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by scottishpoet; Sep 6, 2019 at 5:14 pm
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is

Politicians
university professors
consultants/ IT types / data scientist going to the conference to talk about their solutions

Not sure how people would get to an international conference in RAK without flying.

There was a similar type event in KTW a couple of years ago. Flights to KRK were mobbed, not just BA
Of course they would fly, but I would expect many/most to fly coach not CE.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:24 pm

Nobody has mentioned how busy the backnof the bus is. It coild be busy too, and discounted CE may be (or have been) cheaper and available Y.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I’ve never known a small RAK flight always 8-10 rows it’s the 160 TP and low fares in the sales thst help as well.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:51 am

You're kidding, right? People have been going to Morocco since well before aircraft were invented, and plenty still go the old-fashioned way with a train to the lovely port of Algeciras and a ferry across the strait, then taking the Marrakech Express (all together now...)
https://www.seat61.com/Morocco.htm for details
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:21 am

I am sure that people on vacation enjoy that method of travel. If I was travelling for an international conference I serious doubt my employer would allow me to travel that way from Poland.

I do not doubt there are other ways to get to Marakkesh

The OP asked why his flight looked particularly busy on his travel day. I have given one possible explanation. I accept it may not be the reason.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
It probably is thanks!
Booked it anyway...row 8...
Hope this very important politicians (maybe royals as not supposed to fly private anymore) will cope with my 2 well behaving baby boys!
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:36 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Confus
You're kidding, right? People have been going to Morocco since well before aircraft were invented, and plenty still go the old-fashioned way with a train to the lovely port of Algeciras and a ferry across the strait, then taking the Marrakech Express (all together now...)
https://www.seat61.com/Morocco.htm for details
I did it from UK by train and barcelona - tangier ferry. An en suite boat cabin beats every first class plane seat I've tried.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm heading to Marrakech earlier in October and the exit rows have been blocked since I booked months ago. I assume in case CE goes back that far.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:47 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
I am sure that people on vacation enjoy that method of travel. If I was travelling for an international conference I serious doubt my employer would allow me to travel that way from Poland.
It's quite easy to get to Marrakesh from Poland without flying as well but unfortunately more expensive than by plane.
The main difference for most journeys is usually time not money.
To be fair my train trips have been for pleasure, but I know my company has authorised many trans-european travel plans by rail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.