Industrial action on august 7, 2019

Old Sep 6, 19, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Angry Industrial action on august 7, 2019

My family and I were victims of the industrial action that took place on August 7,2019. We landed in London looking to connect to go to Rome, where we were embarking on a cruise. Our connection flight was canceled, we tried to get another one with Vueling, had to take a car to Gatwick, waited in queue for 45 minutes to be told that there were no seats on the flight and go talk to BA. Went to the BA queue and waited 3 hours, obviously missed any hope fo embarking on our ship. Finally was told they had a flight going to Florence in the morning, but we had to travel London City. We asked about our luggage, was told not to worry about it, ask at the airport in the morning. We go to London city, get to the airport in the morning, ask about our luggage and were told to ask when we landed in Florence. Missed our prepaid excursion in Florence, asked about our luggage and was told they don't know where it is. Call Ba and file a luggage report. Did that and then went to ship. Mind you, only had traveling clothes on for 2 days.. Get to cruise, call BA they asked where we would be the next day and we told them Spain. They said they could have luggage there.. Arranged for port agent to get luggage at airport luggage never showed up. Every day I would call BA and everyday I would told a different story. So had to buy clothes on ship, terribly over priced, and not what we wear. Then finally disembarked the ship for good, stayed a night in Rome, received a call telling me that the luggage would be delivered to my house. Only 2 pieces were delivered that day. We returned home and next day 1 more bag was delivered and finally 2 days later the last bag arrived. Filed a claim with BA on the 15th, returned home 15th. heard nothing from them. finally spoke to someone yesterday, September 5th, got a new case number, submitted all our receipts but still haven't heard anything. So upset, we will never fly BA again!
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Phew, I'm out of breath from reading all that.

Seriously though, many thousands of bags get lost every day and that's even without the added inconvenience of strikes or other disruption. It won't help you right now, but you did get your bags back, you will get reimbursed for purchases you had to make and life will go on. As to not ever flying BA again, I have also had that feeling many times when things go wrong. After it has happened many, many times, and I feel particularly unlucky in that respect, you realise that it is just one of the risks of travelling. You had already done the right thing by the sounds of it, and had packed clothes for a couple of days. Anything else can be purchased down route. BA are really one of the better airlines in refunding out of pocket expenses in these situations and I'm sure you will not have to wait too long for your money.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
For what's its worth, in my experience BA are very good at paying out on any clothes etc you have had to buy. Not saying your experience has been pleasant or the delay is acceptable, just there may actually be light at the end of this tunnel.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

thanks..
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Phew, that was exhausting. Paragraph breaks would help!

It seems counterintuitive, but repeatedly calling achieves nothing. No one is going to go looking for your luggage in some huge warehouse. The process is highly automated and the best thing to do is to keep your WorldTracer information up to date (this is what BA agents see as well).

I do sympathise as these things have a way of tying holidays, but send in receipts and BA will likely reimburse everything reasonable. You also donít say what else you would like from BA.
Often1 and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

sorry for the long windedness.. I sent them every receipt I have .
I think I just want to be compensated for the the excursion we prepaid for as well as the day and a half we missed on our cruise and the prepaid transfer from the airport to our cruise ship in Rome. I don't think thats too much to ask.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm confused about Rome versus Florence. Were you planning to go directly from the airport to the cruise?
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

yes . We were supposed to embark in Rome on Wednesday directly from the airport.. We didn't embark there, we embarked at the next port the ship went into , which was Florence. and then we disembarked in Rome at the end.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
BA wonít reimburse tour tickets etc

Thatís one for your travel insurance
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by lisa2265 View Post
sorry for the long windedness.. I sent them every receipt I have .
I think I just want to be compensated for the the excursion we prepaid for as well as the day and a half we missed on our cruise and the prepaid transfer from the airport to our cruise ship in Rome. I don't think thats too much to ask.
I think youíre going to be looking to your travel insurance for this. BA wonít cover consequential damages/costs in most cases.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lisa2265 View Post
yes . We were supposed to embark in Rome on Wednesday directly from the airport.. We didn't embark there, we embarked at the next port the ship went into , which was Florence. and then we disembarked in Rome at the end.
Lesson: Always allow time for IROPs before a cruise or if you're traveling for some important event.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Welcome to FT lisa2265

I think, in the proper spirit of FT, we should be offering words of welcome and friendly, helpful advice to our newcomer, not school-maam finger wagging.
Saltire74, spaninan, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avis PC, (Hilton, Accor, SPG, Radisson) Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
In the paraphrased words of one of the best trip reporters ever (@eightblack) "You can fix everything with a passport and a credit card. The rest isn't worth worrying about." They will reimburse you for all your purchases because they don't have a choice. It may take time, they may challenge you, but they will cough up eventually.
mikeyfly and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:40 pm

Programs: QF WP
Forgive me, i didnít realise there was industrial action on the 7th- in Italy? Or was this actually an IT meltdown day? Not that it makes much difference but just for my own curiosity
Old Sep 6, 19, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Avis PC, (Hilton, Accor, SPG, Radisson) Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by nancypants View Post
Forgive me, i didnít realise there was industrial action on the 7th- in Italy? Or was this actually an IT meltdown day? Not that it makes much difference but just for my own curiosity
Yes that was the day of the IT meltdown. So many headlines these days, it's easy to lose track...
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread