Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Industrial action on august 7, 2019

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:33 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by alex67500
Yes that was the day of the IT meltdown. So many headlines these days, it's easy to lose track...
IT infrastructure went on strike I suppose
alex67500 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For the benefit of others, whether it is the weather, strikes, technical issues or air traffic control, delays happen. When you have fixed plans such as a cruise on the other end, I would always allow an extra day between arrival at the port city and the cruise departure.

As to clothing, given BA's generous carry-on allowances, I would also carry the first 3-4 days of clothing in that. Removes all the stress.

As others note, calling BA (or any carrier) is wasted time. You can see on the WorldTracer website exactly what BA sees. So long as the description, your contact number and the delivery address are accurate, you have done all that can reasonably be done.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Your issue is you’re trying too hard.

First step should have been to book tickets on Alitalia to Rome.. get on cruise, buy whatever you need, enjoy yourself, and send BA the bill.

Take charge, and work it out later. You’ll never get back the time spent worrying about all this. Money and clothes are easily recoverable. Time isn’t.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
The bit that I don’t understand was why the OP went to Gatwick without their luggage in the first place without confirmed seating? Where was the luggage at this point of time? Have I missed something?
86BA7 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
The bit that I don’t understand was why the OP went to Gatwick without their luggage in the first place without confirmed seating? Where was the luggage at this point of time? Have I missed something?
Indeed... Just what I was going to post. I think the OP assumed the baggage would be transferred to LGW, when in fact, it would probably be on a carousel at LHR.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Indeed... Just what I was going to post. I think the OP assumed the baggage would be transferred to LGW, when in fact, it would probably be on a carousel at LHR.
or checked through to Rome? Looking from afar when not involved in a fiasco as would have greeted the OP at LHR, it is not what you and many here might have done but who knows what she (forgive me if it is not a she but a he) after a tiring night flight might have been told. I can, unfortunately, see that when the bags were left to travel to one place and not under your personal control these sort of events can occur. Such a shame.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:57 am
Suspended

Leaving for LGW without either bags or an arranged onwards flight was an error and that fact may ultimately cause the claim for reimbursement to be denied, e.g. voluntary separation from one's luggage.

This will become apparent when BA looks at the routing.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

it was in London Heathrow and I think Gatwick.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Does Vueling even interline with BA? Maybe the OP had planned to just buy a ticket at LGW. (Or maybe BA didn't reissue the ticket properly and any reservation that had been made was dropped or never confirmed.) However, if so, there wouldn't be much hope that BA would reroute the luggage, which perhaps wasn't released upon arrival at LHR if it was tagged for an international to international (EU) connection.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

As soon as OP's onward flight was cancelled, his bags would have been offloaded from their destination cart / container and then either been rerouted if a reroute from LHR was booked or returned to OP if a reroute not booked or booked departing another airport such as LGW.

Without the exact "who said what and when" I would guess that it was the latter. As OP was not rebooked departing LHR, his bags went off for claim and he left without them for LGW. That may well end any claim he has for reimbursement of interim expenses under either the Montreal Convention or BA's COC and policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.