Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Booked a flight with BA points, refund in AA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

I booked a reward flight through the BA site with BA points, but flew AA. I was flying Dubrovnik - Philadelphia - San Diego. The first leg was cancelled and we were delayed over 48 hours. AA has offered 40,000 AA miles, which are quite frankly useless to me, as I collect with BA. Is there any way I can try and get them to refund me in the BA points instead?

Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No, as AA don’t issue Avios. The operating carrier is always the one reimbursing you. You could ask for cash, though. What was the reason for cancellation, and are you claiming also under EC261?
nancypants and Markie like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Are you looking for a refund or for compensation? Did you eventually fly from Dubrovnik to San Diego with AA? If you were only delayed then I don't see how you're owed any refund. You're owed compensation (in cash, not AA miles). Can you please clarify what you're seeking a refund for? If you did not fly on that ticket at all, then you can get a refund from BAEC of course.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:08 am
Original Poster

One of the pilots cut his foot open (seriously) and they couldn't get us out for another two days. We did end up flying on the ticket, but arrived over 50 hours late. We fully intend on claiming under EC261. We've been proactively offered 40,000 miles, but I would prefer BA miles or cash. Sounds like BA miles aren't possible, so I will ask for cash. will I only get the 600 euros from EC261, or is there any chance we can get more?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by lucelib
Hi there,

I booked a reward flight through the BA site with BA points, but flew AA. I was flying Dubrovnik - Philadelphia - San Diego. The first leg was cancelled and we were delayed over 48 hours. AA has offered 40,000 AA miles, which are quite frankly useless to me, as I collect with BA. Is there any way I can try and get them to refund me in the BA points instead?

Thanks!
Personally, I would opt for 600 Euros over 40,000 AA miles. But I'm not sure why AA miles would be useless to you. Just as you can redeem Avios on any oneworld carrier, you can also redeem AAdvantage miles on any oneworld carrier. And as long as you don't redeem on BA or IB, AA will not collect carrier surcharges on your AAdvantage awards.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
compensation under EU261 is a fixed amount.

i see the AA miles aa a customer service gesture, A passenger can accept miles in lieu of cash but it’s the passenger decision (plus it needs to be a reasonable offer) to accept them or not,
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
We've been proactively offered 40,000 miles, but I would prefer BA miles or cash.
Well, that's in addition to the statutory compensation as a customer service gesture, and AA can't issue any Avios for that. Nor will AA offer cash instead of the miles. BAEC won't be making a refund since you used the ticket. To be honest, I would open an Advantage account just to get those miles. That's a substantial amount of them. You may upgrade your next flight with AA or just purchase a ticket. Get both the EU compensation in cash and the AA miles!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
40k AA miles plus around $200 will get you as far as CMB (return) from Europe. How far Will 40k Avios get you?

Spike
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The EC261 case is far from a slam dunk. The airline will almost certainly contend that a pilot being injured in what was presumably a freak accident, at an outstation where they can't be expected to have replacement crew immediately available, constitutes an extraordinary circumstance beyond their control. Does anyone know of any relevant precedents?

They are, of course on the hook for Duty of Care. This means hotel, food and communications for the duration of your delay. I am assuming they paid for this. If they didn't, it's a different story.

In this case, I would personally be inclined to accept the 40k AA miles and use them on OneWorld flights, as long as this is being offered in addition to Duty of Care.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
AA miles are miles better than Avios (In many situations). Can you not start collecting AA too?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The likely alternative to the AA miles (which are helpful if you are doing non Reward Flight Saver flights outside of (mainly) Europe) is a voucher for a US dollar amount of spend on an AA booking. Though this can be used on many BA services, nevertheless this has done via AA, is slightly fiddly to book, and the likely context is a US based itinerary. I doubt the cash amount would be that high but searching the AA forum may give you a hint about that.

As this is a customer service gesture, I too would open up an account just to churn the miles.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
AA miles are miles better than Avios (In many situations). Can you not start collecting AA too?
Horses for courses. Avios tend to be better for short haul flying within Europe. It really depends on the OP's personal flying patterns.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
The EC261 case is far from a slam dunk. The airline will almost certainly contend that a pilot being injured in what was presumably a freak accident, at an outstation where they can't be expected to have replacement crew immediately available, constitutes an extraordinary circumstance beyond their control. Does anyone know of any relevant precedents?

They are, of course on the hook for Duty of Care. This means hotel, food and communications for the duration of your delay. I am assuming they paid for this. If they didn't, it's a different story.

In this case, I would personally be inclined to accept the 40k AA miles and use them on OneWorld flights, as long as this is being offered in addition to Duty of Care.
Agreed. I suspect AA will claim exceptional circumstances.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One of the pilots cut his foot open (seriously) and they couldn't get us out for another two days. We did end up flying on the ticket, but arrived over 50 hours late. We fully intend on claiming under EC261. We've been proactively offered 40,000 miles, but I would prefer BA miles or cash. Sounds like BA miles aren't possible, so I will ask for cash. will I only get the 600 euros from EC261, or is there any chance we can get more?
have you looked at the value of AA miles? I would take that over 40,000 BA points

You may find that the offer of 40,000 miles will disappear once you ask for EUR600 - I suspect it will be an either/or

Based on price I pay for AA miles, I would rate them as worth about USD730 -
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Agreed. I suspect AA will claim exceptional circumstances.
I can also see that happening, and a two day delay presumably relates to the less than daily service from DBV. However I don't think a delay beyond 24 hours is tenable since there are many other ways to get to SAN quicker than that. So I think it fails the "all reasonable measures" test, and is therefore open to EC261 if the OP wants to go that route.
The_Bouncer and nancypants like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.