Use BA Avios For AA Premium Economy?

Old Sep 6, 19, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Use BA Avios For AA Premium Economy?

Hello,

I used some BA Avios to book 2 tickets on American Airlines' nonstop from EZE to LAX in Economy later this month for 30,000 Avios each. I noticed that there are 7 SAAver Premium Economy award seats available on the flight. American Airlines' site shows the same as well, offering me the option to book an Economy award on that flight for 30,000 AAdvantage miles, and a Premium Economy for 40,000 AAdvantage miles.

I called BA this morning and the agent said he was unable to see any of that space; that the 7 award seats are only for AAdvantage. I was under the (mistaken?) impression that all partners have access to SAAver space. I don't care if it's a little more than the extra 10,000 on the Avios award chart, but I'd love to be able to move us into Premium Economy seats for that flight.

The Business cabin has like 4/28 seats occupied, but no SAAver space showing there.

Can anyone advise? Would be much appreciated!
Old Sep 6, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Are you saying that you see availability in premium economy on ba.com but when you call to change into that cabin BA's agents do not see that availability? Or do you only see it on aa.com? The issue can be that BAEC is not offering premium economy reward flights on AA. But if you can book it on ba.com, can you can your economy tickets and rebook PE?
Old Sep 6, 19, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for responding! I see the space on ExpertFlyer and aa.com, but not on ba.com. I thought all partners have access to SAAver award space, but maybe not? For what it's worth, ba.com won't let me book economy award tickets either, although there's plenty of space and aa.com lets me book those.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, PS, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by mpomega View Post
Thanks for responding! I see the space on ExpertFlyer and aa.com, but not on ba.com. I thought all partners have access to SAAver award space, but maybe not? For what it's worth, ba.com won't let me book economy award tickets either, although there's plenty of space and aa.com lets me book those.
Yes, you can usually book sAAver awards but premium economy awards on AA are fairly new, and BAEC may not offer them at all at this point. Maybe they still need to figure out pricing and stuff.
MSPeconomist, etiene and mpomega like this.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, HHonors G, Avis PC, Hertz PC
I have never been able to see other than Economy in AA for long haul, even when AA shows SAAver in other classes.
For domestic flights, I have been able to book AA First via avios without problem.
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Interesting...I think I'll try again with a different agent, but looks like it might be a longshot
Old Sep 6, 19, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For award bookings using other FF program miles/points, it's common for only coach and business class seats to be available. If BA publishes an award chart for AA flights (using Avois), is there a line for international premium economy that shows the price (in Avios)?
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Guess I'm out of luck on this one.

I went to BA.com and tried some dummy bookings. It lets me use Avios for premium economy on some partner airlines including Japan Airlines, but none of the AA routes. I either get a "Premium Economy Not Available" message or "Premium Economy cabin not operated on this flight," even when I've specifically selected routes where I know 100% there is a premium economy cabin on the plane, like those served by the 777-300ER.

Oh well...

Search this Thread