Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it ever cheaper to buy tickets separately rather than together?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

Hi all, I hope this isn't a really daft question. I'm heading to Helsinki with two of my friends later in the year. One business class ticket is £210 return, whereas buying three works out at £240 return each (£720 in total to save you the arithmetic).

It appears there are only two of the cheaper tickets left. Is it the case that:

(a) the first two tickets are priced at £210, and the next at £300 (total £720), with the cheaper tickets booking into one fare class and the more expensive ticket booking into a higher fare class, or
(b) do all three tickets book into a higher fare bucket and cost £240 each?

I suspect it's (a) but am not sure if you can have mixed fare buckets in one booking. If it's (b) then it seems I can get the tickets cheaper by buying the first two separately, then the third, and TCPing.

Many thanks and apologies if this has been covered before - was hard to know what to Google!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:26 am

It's (b). And yes you are correct, book separately then TCP.

It's possible however that after booking the first two, the inventory available for the third one could change, although it should still be there if you do it immediately. (On the other hand if you wait a while another ticket may even open up at the lower price - you never know.)

Also, do look at Skyscanner using e.g. US, France etc country setting - there may have 3 seats available through another POS at the lower price.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Option B - all priced in the higher fare bucket

So yes buy the 2 cheaper tikets then 1 as a separate booking. In some cases that does get repriced in the lower bucket but not always.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Great thank you both for the quick reply.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some people might suggest tying to buy the two and one at the same time, on different computers.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some people might suggest tying to buy the two and one at the same time, on different computers.
Yes, do this. Always works for me on BA.

Palmer
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

I may have done something wrong but it was (a) in this case. I had the two bookings going simultaneously on two separate devices, and the 2nd booking errored saying the ticket had sold out during the payment process.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ajm1987
I may have done something wrong but it was (a) in this case. I had the two bookings going simultaneously on two separate devices, and the 2nd booking errored saying the ticket had sold out during the payment process.
On the BA site? What’s the price now? It may not have increased. Also, look at OTAs - the price increase may not have filtered through yet (although much less desirable than booking direct with BA).

You can always cancel the first booking and get you money back, if you cancel within 24 hours of the booking, if you’re not happy but it might be a case of sucking it up. See what the price is in the morning?

Palmer
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ajm1987
That is pretty much to be expected if availability has been taken
Old Sep 6, 2019, 9:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
These buckets are also dynamic and constantly adjusting. So if you were looking at D2, then if you leave it a short time, or maybe a long time, it may come back as D1 or even D3. Now the uncertainty isn't helpful, and I'm not entirely convinced the switching PCs is going to help either, given the way that availability gets pulled from Amadeus / Pegasus. So what I would do is book the first two tickets at D, buy the next ticket at (presumably) the higher R cost, maybe leaving it 20 minutes or so. Use the Hold fare button if it is offered, but then cancel / rebook, given the 24 to 72 hour time frames for doing this should the cheaper fare re-appear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.