BA iPad app version 2.0 | problems galore

Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
I can’t believe how an organisation can remove so much functionality over night. The new app is truly awful. This just confirms the deep rooted problems BA has with its IT and customer focus and once you get beyond the immediate issues of strikes etc poses a long term threat for the company. It’s time WW woke up to this poor state of affairs.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by pennineuk; Sep 6, 2019 at 3:24 pm
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS), OZ Diamond (*G), TK Elite (*G), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Seems like someone at BA has recently adopted agile practices but didn’t quite figure out how they can apply them to an entire app redo. I want to believe this is something they developed during their first 1-2 week sprint and we can expect incremental updates including the missing features every 1-2 weeks during the next couple of months, after all the new UI is nice. However this is BA IT so...
Cymro likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver
A shame but I found even the previous iPad app prettier but less useful then than the iPhone app, and I have used the latter on my iPad for a few years.

(In case anyone hasn’t spotted, you can download most iPhone apps onto an iPad.)
Crampedin13A and T8191 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fruitcage
A shame but I found even the previous iPad app prettier but less useful then than the iPhone app, and I have used the latter on my iPad for a few years.

(In case anyone hasn’t spotted, you can download most iPhone apps onto an iPad.)

Oh, so it does. ^

Some functionality regained on my iPad. I usually use the App to break in to the system when ba.com goes TU on the MMB/OLCI front.

Not everyone has a smartphone, of course. I am a dinosaur in a minority!
ENTP and fruitcage like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by T8191
I am a dinosaur in a minority!
Keep looking up for that meteor!
Stez, T8191, ENTP and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I smell the stink of SCRUM all over this app. Minimum viable product. 'Max App'.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 11:31 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Deleted. Of very little use. Waste of iPad memory in its current state.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I can but echo all the above. I thought that I’d done some thing wrong. It is pretty. Pretty useless that is. What are they thinking?.
ENTP likes this.

Last edited by PUCCI GALORE; Sep 7, 2019 at 12:29 am
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am (obviously) not personally affected, but noting the App Store comments, that is often a key metric for developers, so I trust all the above had submitted negative feedback.

Hint: two stars is better than 1, the "unreasonable" reactions get bell curved out of statistics.

Originally Posted by greg5
I smell the stink of SCRUM all over this app. Minimum viable product. 'Max App'.
I agree. Much of the rest of BA's output seems to be done on an Agile basis.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Gold. Flying Blue, Radisson, Accor
OK given it two stars on the App Store but still called it useless.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
I wonder if there is something going on with iPad apps?

I have a BA Amex and yesterday (coincidentally?) I received an e-mail from Amex saying they are closing down their iPad app from 19th September 2019. This is allegedly ‘' due to recent upgrades out of our control the App will no longer be compatible, and we recommend that you switch over to the iPhone App’'.

I do recall hearing somewhere that in the future Apple will issue separate iOS upgrades for iPhones and iPads, rather than having the upgrades using the same iOS version for both devices.

I wonder if by making the iPad App as useless as possible, BA are forcing people to move over to the iPhone app and saving themselves the trouble (and cost) of having to keep pace with two differing Apple specs?

I understand from someone who works at Amex UK in Brighton that they have received a lot of complaints about the complete withdrawal of the iPad app. BA are probably trying to avoid this by keeping its iPad app, but just making its app as useless as possible!

Last edited by BarneyMcGrew; Sep 7, 2019 at 1:53 am
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:14 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I agree. Much of the rest of BA's output seems to be done on an Agile basis.
Agile *can* work. Problems happen when management think that what "Agile" means is that they can get everything they'd like immediately, whilst retaining the ability to change their mind about it until the last minute.
JimEddie, Cymro and csutter like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Allegedly there is a way to keep the previous version (as yet untested).
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:38 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by martin102
OK given it two stars on the App Store but still called it useless.
I gave it one and said that whoever signed off on it should be marched out of the building.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 5:15 am

Apparently the old app had a customer data security flaw and was about to be forcibly removed by Apple, hence the rather rushed appearance of a new one.
(I have no more details sadly but no doubt there's techies here who can elaborate.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.