BA281 LHR-LAX Cancellation reason (6 Sept)

Old Sep 6, 19, 4:04 am
Original Poster

BA281 LHR-LAX Cancellation reason (6 Sept)

Does anyone know why today's (6 Sept) BA281 was cancelled? Seems to be a frequent occurrence, but if someone has access to the relevant sources to be able to check the official cancellation code, that would be much appreciated!
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The code on the Expertflyer is "OPEN", which means "operational but not eligible for compensation". And I'm almost certain the correct answer is "we're short of aircraft, we've got multiple 787s in the workshop, we can shift everyone on to other services, and if forced we will pay EC261 - eventually".
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
The code on the Expertflyer is "OPEN", which means "operational but not eligible for compensation". And I'm almost certain the correct answer is "we're short of aircraft, we've got multiple 787s in the workshop, we can shift everyone on to other services, and if forced we will pay EC261 - eventually".
Thanks CWS - helpful as ever.

Interestingly, I have spoken to both service desk at B Gate lounge as well as BA Holidays duty office, through which the flight was booked. I had them both check their systems, and in both cases the response was technical reason.' or words to that effect (edit: BA Holidays confirmed by email 'lack of serviceable aircraft', interesting discrepancy with expert flyer, although wondering if lack of aircraft is a non-technical reason to deny compensation! Looking forward to a fun time through BA's compensation claims process!

Last edited by cafeamsterdam; Sep 6, 19 at 4:43 am
Old Sep 6, 19, 4:44 am

Programs: AA EP 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Aircraft u/s is "operational reasons", so I don't see a discrepancy.

The service desk isn't expressing an opinion on EC261 compensation or not, both because it's not their job and because, as C-W-S says, BA can probably shift people onto other services and get them there within the EC261 compensation limit.

In case you are delayed beyond that limit, do keep a note of when and where you were given that information and if possible who gave it to you, to support any compensation claim you may choose to make.
Old Oct 4, 19, 3:16 am

They gave us a letter clearly stating that it was down to a technical issue but sadly during the holiday we have mislaid the letter, there must be someone oput there who still has a copy!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread