Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of a free upgrade from WT+ to CW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the chances of a free upgrade from WT+ to CW?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
All of my recent (last 3-4 years) upgrades on BA have been WT+ to CW - but before you get too excited, these have all been on changes of aircraft (788-789 or 787-777), so I least it seems like status puts you to the front of the queue when changes do occur. (otherwise, all my upgrades have been on AA).
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Upgrades are route and cabin dependent. This forum may not be the best place to assess your upgrade chances as it’s mainly premium flyers and your least likely upgrade on BA is always J-F.

I’d consider I’ve got a fantastic upgrade rate from down the years (mixture of gold and silver) probably 1/3-4 flights but I travel a lot in peak season and a lot to the East Coast US, 80% of which is JFK/EWR.

BAs modus operandi is simple. Upgrade when cabin is full/oversold. Buy yourself a WTP ticket in peak season on the LGW-JFK route and see what happens. LHR-ORD in the middle of winter is likely to yield a different result. So it’s always hard to assess your chances of an upgrade without knowing the route and time of year.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 12:00 am
Suspended

I think cws' post nailed it.

When it comes to OpUps, you always get anecdotes from which people generalize from their anecdotes. It's just how the human brain works. We learn fast because we are able to make out patters very quickly. But sometimes this learning procedure fails: The brain sees a pattern where there is none.

And there is a lot of evidence the brain is tricked particularly easily when a situation is stochastic. So, the proper response to such anecdotes is: LOL sample size!

Airlines are obv gonna inject some noise into their OpUps algorithm, for the reason cws outlined. If OpUps were deterministic, that would make it comparatively easy to game the system.

You won't be able to uncover how the OpUp mechanism works by just observing a few (or even a several dozen) OpUps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.