Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Moved from pre-paid seat, now blocked by Airport Ops

Old Sep 5, 19, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Apologies for the frustrated vent in advance but 2 weeks ago I paid for a seat in Club, selecting 53A on the upper deck on the A380 (unrestricted aisle access) on tomorrow's 297 to ORD. Went to check in and had been moved to 50B, obviously a much worse seat. Called BA and they stated that the seat had been blocked by Airport Operations and there was nothing they could do. Checked expertflyer and it concurs the seat is blocked and not occupied.

Anyone have an idea why this happened? Are they saving it for a Gold or GGL? Any chance it gets unblocked? Pretty infuriating when you pay nearly £100 for a seat.

Thanks!
argonath likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 9:51 am
Original Poster

For what it's worth, this is the current seat map. I'm in 57A now which isn't terrible as long as the seats around remain unoccupied. Strange that the seat I was moved to 50B is now blocked.

Old Sep 5, 19, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Theoretical seating - 50B I imagine is now blocked as there's a status PAX in 50A

Unless 53A is crew rest - I'd ask again at the airport
peter.r.erskine likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Blocked by the airport ops could also mean that the seat has developed a fault that will not be fixed before you flight tomorrow.

Either way you'll get your £100 back if you've been moved when you actually fly.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nick.t.davies View Post
Blocked by the airport ops could also mean that the seat has developed a fault that will not be fixed before you flight tomorrow.
My most recent experience was this...until they did fix it. Keep checking on EF and it shows vacant you should be able to move back.

Regrettably BA donít move the lower tiers for Gold and above. 😉
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Did you ask for your seat reservation fee to be refunded? That's the least BA can do. Very little point paying for seat reservation and then not getting it.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly View Post
Theoretical seating - 50B I imagine is now blocked as there's a status PAX in 50A

Unless 53A is crew rest - I'd ask again at the airport
I guess I was also possibly bumped if there's a Gold or GGL in 53B?
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the responses!

Originally Posted by AJA_ View Post
Did you ask for your seat reservation fee to be refunded? That's the least BA can do. Very little point paying for seat reservation and then not getting it.
Yes I spent some time on the phone. They couldn't do it straight away as I had originally paid for a seat in WT+ then upgraded with Avios to Club so only had to pay the difference in seat selection and he couldn't refund the two separate payments. Forwarded my case to refunds team but dear only knows how long that will take with current strike related refunds.
Dreamlifter likes this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
I don't think you'd get moved from a paid seat if a status pax booked 53B, you might not be able to book it if they got their first but you should be fine the other way around (I think). It's much more likely an ops thing with that aircraft or a crew rest if that's the right seat for it.

As Swanhunter says, keep an eye on it as it might open up again before your flight. So feel free to check in but don't get a BP.
orbitmic and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine View Post
I guess I was also possibly bumped if there's a Gold or GGL in 53B?
That's often suggested here as a possibility but I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that this happens. Certainly more knowledgeable folk than me will tell you it's not how things work.
orbitmic and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by windowontheAside View Post
That's often suggested here as a possibility but I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that this happens. Certainly more knowledgeable folk than me will tell you it's not how things work.
agreed, i have no ability to shift anyone.. taking a seat next to someone else does not result in them being moved.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine View Post
Thank you for all the responses!

Yes I spent some time on the phone. They couldn't do it straight away as I had originally paid for a seat in WT+ then upgraded with Avios to Club so only had to pay the difference in seat selection and he couldn't refund the two separate payments. Forwarded my case to refunds team but dear only knows how long that will take with current strike related refunds.
That sounds complicated but should be possible to achieve by simply doing two refunds, one for WT+ and a second for CW.

TBF BA are pretty good at refunding you once they've agreed to do so. You may have to give them a gentle prod in a couple of weeks. I hope your flight goes smoothly and that whatever seat you end up in is good for you.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
agreed, i have no ability to shift anyone.. taking a seat next to someone else does not result in them being moved.
Great shame. I have a CE flight coming up where I'm in row 4. The horror!
YacozA, KARFA and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post

Great shame. I have a CE flight coming up where I'm in row 4. The horror!
That sounds like the start of a DYKWIA rant :-)
LCY8737 and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Sep 5, 19, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful/informative/kind replies! This is why I love the BAEC page in FlyerTalk!

Search this Thread