Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Moved from pre-paid seat, now blocked by Airport Ops

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moved from pre-paid seat, now blocked by Airport Ops

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by KARFA
agreed, i have no ability to shift anyone.. taking a seat next to someone else does not result in them being moved.
If only this were true, I would then be able to relegate Mrs SD to another row and blame the system
toothy, BA235, babats and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
agreed, i have no ability to shift anyone.. taking a seat next to someone else does not result in them being moved.
I find if you smile and stare repeatedly at your CW seat partner while dribbling mildly and laughing for no reason people will seek another seat. At least my wife moved when I did that.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
We’re in 53 D/E
peter.r.erskine likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club
This happened to me. Never got the explanation and pax who ended up in our seat we’re not crew. Not sure what happened. BA refunded our entire parties seat fee though.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:10 pm

I see today’s flight nearly 2 hours late departing, hope tomorrow is on time!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by peter.r.erskine
I guess I was also possibly bumped if there's a Gold or GGL in 53B?
No. Sadly (haha) BA do not bump people for Gold or GGL in any way (at least not under a normal circumstance) - whether they want the seat or the seat next to it (to keep the seat next to them empty) - although theoretical seating may prevent the seat next to Gold/GGL to be chosen at a certain point.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:52 pm

You can be bumped for another passenger under certain conditions. An autistic passenger might need a window seat with isle access or even the same seat they have had on previous flights.

Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by anniegray
We’re in 53 D/E
Ah, I will make sure to say hello if I see you on board! Let's hope the flight isn't delayed. Last time I took the 297, it was 4hrs delayed!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by joejet
You can be bumped for another passenger under certain conditions. An autistic passenger might need a window seat with isle access or even the same seat they have had on previous flights.
That can happen, and those with assistance dogs also can only sit in particular parts of the aircraft and can lead to seat shifting. My two incidents in recent years of this (leaving aside the likely cause......) was once for a very, very nervous flyer, and also to make room for a lovely Golden Retriever.

However I think this probably isn't the case here since the seat would be allocated, not blocked, normally; this is more likely a defective seat given the circumstances described by the OP. For 90% plus (made up statistic alert) of defective seats, they are usually fixed on return to London, so long as the turnaround was long enough for it. So ideally one doesn't print the boarding pass, since the Flight Management Unit will reinstate the seat closer to departure. Occasionally FMU aren't told a seat is fixed, plus there are the mysterious problems which vanish after a few hours of non use (aka power down, power up). But that is what I think the cause is here.
TTmex and peter.r.erskine like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That can happen, and those with assistance dogs also can only sit in particular parts of the aircraft and can lead to seat shifting. My two incidents in recent years of this (leaving aside the likely cause......) was once for a very, very nervous flyer, and also to make room for a lovely Golden Retriever.

However I think this probably isn't the case here since the seat would be allocated, not blocked, normally; this is more likely a defective seat given the circumstances described by the OP. For 90% plus (made up statistic alert) of defective seats, they are usually fixed on return to London, so long as the turnaround was long enough for it. So ideally one doesn't print the boarding pass, since the Flight Management Unit will reinstate the seat closer to departure. Occasionally FMU aren't told a seat is fixed, plus there are the mysterious problems which vanish after a few hours of non use (aka power down, power up). But that is what I think the cause is here.
Perhaps that gold passenger got the best seat as a reward for being a good boy.
LCY8737, wrp96, rapidex and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:00 am

Well ffs we’ve been thrown out of 53, they say inoperable. I’m most annoyed to say the least.
And the hot food in Flounge is awful, cold and stale.
And this is after changing my flights 2 days becsuse of the strikes.
So many better airlines out there
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by anniegray
Well ffs we’ve been thrown out of 53, they say inoperable. I’m most annoyed to say the least.
And the hot food in Flounge is awful, cold and stale.
And this is after changing my flights 2 days becsuse of the strikes.
So many better airlines out there
oh no!! I checked again at the airport and they said inoperable. Sticking with 57A. I’m over in B lounges and they’re pretty quiet.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:49 pm

Oops sorry for my rant. I have survived.

Nice to meet you Peter
Hope you get your money back soon.

Surely they could make an effort to repair seats!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
Only Premiers can bump people out of seats. We uncovered this once. The tell signs if you ask at the airport, and the Manager there is obliging, is the IT record with show “Seat changed by a staff member in London” Reasons “Operational” then someone is sat there when you get on and the CSM iPad shows the colour “Black” - its an unwritten benefit & BA will never formally admit it happens.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:37 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There was somebody on here that used to brag that he always got his preferred seat - and that BA would move people around to accommodate.

He also said he'd often phone the JFK station manager to ask them to hold a flight if he was running late.

Not a premier from what I recall.

Of course, no way of knowing if he was a Walter Mitty, but he had a long track record on FT. I can't recall his handle though unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.