Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A bit urgent - flying today - might need to change a 2-4-1 flight due to illness

A bit urgent - flying today - might need to change a 2-4-1 flight due to illness

Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Sorry pauldb, "events beyond your control" is defined by BA as 'unusual and unforeseeable' i.e. force majeure, not just illness.

CoC would not apply in this case.
I know you're posting this as a BA insider, so I don't doubt that's how BA see it - but if they do see it that way, they really need better lawyers to do a better job of defining and drafting an enforceable set of terms.
memesweeper and mario like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Really sorry to hear about this, but I have a possible solution. I've got a joker expiring in November which I'm not going to be able to use. After a little behind the scenes discussion, I think I can use this on behalf of anyone in my travelling companions list, and under the circumstances I'd be happy to do that. And thereby to open up availability over the next few days so you can shift your booking.

This does depend on whether this is possible under BAEC rules, and I need to invoke @corporate-wage-slave to ask how this might work.

If the principle works, we can move over to DMs to make the arrangements.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
The GGL guide (CWS authored?) states "May be used for other people, even if the GGL member is not flying"
wrp96 and wanderingjock like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Cent, SPG Gold, IC Plat Amb, Hilton Diam(given it though I'd never stayed in a Hilton)
Can I just say that the offer from Bisonrav restores my faith in the human condition and is amazingly kind. It is also reminiscent of the FT of old. What a wonderfully kind gesture so on behalf of the BA FT community, may I express my thanks!!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by starlight
Can I just say that the offer from Bisonrav restores my faith in the human condition and is amazingly kind. It is also reminiscent of the FT of old. What a wonderfully kind gesture so on behalf of the BA FT community, may I express my thanks!!
I second that. I was about to comment but you've said it far more eloquently.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am afraid the underlying Avios have to originate under the joker holder's own Avios account.

In your current situation you should go, poorly wife and all, to the airport and explain it there. I think they may be more empowered here. And talk to your insurers.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, SkyMiles Gold, Mucci deux fois
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Really sorry to hear about this, but I have a possible solution. I've got a joker expiring in November which I'm not going to be able to use. After a little behind the scenes discussion, I think I can use this on behalf of anyone in my travelling companions list, and under the circumstances I'd be happy to do that. And thereby to open up availability over the next few days so you can shift your booking.

This does depend on whether this is possible under BAEC rules, and I need to invoke @corporate-wage-slave to ask how this might work.

What a Gent (I hope I am excused being presumptuous regarding gender) and what a kind gesture.

Such a post reflects the very best of these forums.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Looks like it wont work. But anyway may be worth giving them a call anyway and saying you have a friend with a GGL redemption if that helps and see what they say.

its not that generous really. Its going to lapse and I have no real use for it.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:15 pm

Can I add something I don't mean to be unkind about.

If you are travelling F on a direct flight, why would your wife be unfit to fly?

If she needs hospital treatment, then I can see unfit to fly.

If she is going to lie down in a bed in a dark room and try and rest, then maybe F on a 12 hour flight is not that bad a thing?

If you were in economy, or even some CW seats, then I could understand.

But I would be OK with the flight, and splurge on a spacious, comfortable transfers to and from the airports to make life easy. Maybe even wheelchair?
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I wouldn't want to be flying - even in F - when suffering from unresolved food poisoning and all the implications of that if it's not fully resolved.

Being unfit to fly covers all sorts of medical conditions and ailments and not flying is for the protection of others as much as the individual.

I've read enough threads on FT about flights where people have been ill causing discomfort to others because the pax threw up in the cabin pr messed up a toilet for example and that dosen't even cover the flights that needed to be diverted.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by flygod
Can I add something I don't mean to be unkind about.

If you are travelling F on a direct flight, why would your wife be unfit to fly?

If she needs hospital treatment, then I can see unfit to fly.

If she is going to lie down in a bed in a dark room and try and rest, then maybe F on a 12 hour flight is not that bad a thing?

If you were in economy, or even some CW seats, then I could understand.

But I would be OK with the flight, and splurge on a spacious, comfortable transfers to and from the airports to make life easy. Maybe even wheelchair?
I second this. I'm surprised by your reaction, trying to postpone the flight. Most food poisonings are quickly overcome. Imodium or similar will do the trick. Most likely your wife will be much better tonight/after the doctor prescribing her something to deal with stomach.

Last month I flew GRU-ZRH in J with a very upset stomach (I will spare you for the details but I can assure you that several visits to the toilet were needed both before and during the flight). Not a pleasant flight for sure, but I managed.
mikem004 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Originally Posted by bisonrav

The one time it worked for me was a couple of years ago, when I booked a CW ticket with a 241 and a kind GGL friend called to change the dates and upgrade it to F. The additional 50k came from his account and I then booked some trips for him with my Avios.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:36 am

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Sorry pauldb, "events beyond your control" is defined by BA as 'unusual and unforeseeable' i.e. force majeure, not just illness.

CoC would not apply in this case.
How is an acute illness not unusual and unforeseeable? The mind boggles...
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mario
How is an acute illness not unusual and unforeseeable? The mind boggles...
it is obviously foreseeable that an illness could occur - so much so that many companies sell insurance to cover such eventualities
cbagent and trooper like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:51 am

As a medical professional I would advise not travelling tonight both for your wife & other passengers/crew safety. Firstly, that is a very long flight in a relatively low humidity & low pressure environment. She will feel awful if not fully recovered.

Secondly, if this is some form of infectious gastroenteritis (& there is something doing the rounds at the moment) then she would be a transmission risk to others until 48 hours after her symptoms subsided. Viral illnesses such as Norovirus are incredibly infectious and there is a high chance anyone in contact with your wife, her seat or any bathroom she had used would suffer the same illness as her over the next 24-48 hours. Clearly this could include a number of crew down route & run the risk of a return flight being cancelled.

In terms of the best route forward I would first speak to your travel insurer, I was hospitalised with Typhoid at the end of my honeymoon in Malaysia and HSBC rebooked me in F 48 hours after my hospital discharge (BA insisted on this window).

Finally, my sympathies to your wife, it is a miserable experience but hopefully it will resolve relatively quickly. If possible I would advise you sleeping in a different room & using a separate bathroom/towels etc. Wash your hands with hot soapy water regularly & definitely prior to eating. Note that alcohol hand gel is ineffective against Norovirus.

Good luck & at least married life can only get better from here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.