MH upgrade- post to BAEC or QF?

Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
MH upgrade- post to BAEC or QF?

Flying in a few days MEL-KUL-DAC on MH. I did the MH upgrade bid to J and have been successful. The original fare was in a Y non-earning class (N). Had originally used my BAEC number as wanted lounge access but now got lounge access anyway. Recently moved to Australia and over time migrating to QFF. Im wondering should I change my FF to QF? Seen mixed reports if I get status credit for the upgraded MH flight on both BAEC and QFF. Any advice on to which vote it is better to credit these flights?
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Be aware that any earning MH J MEL-KUL fare will be classed as "flexible economy" on QFF.

Regards,

BD
nancypants and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
You dont get any extra TP's for the upgrade, only the original fare. I have been caught out by this.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by BD1959
Be aware that any earning MH J MEL-KUL fare will be classed as "flexible economy" on QFF.

Regards,

BD
Im also not certain that bid upgrades attract the higher rate in QFF, I think they might reflect the original selling class

N is ineligible in QFF as well
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:26 pm

In my experience (multiple upgrades) this will not post to BA
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sammyg901
In my experience (multiple upgrades) this will not post to BA
In my (limited) experience of upgrading from J to F on MH, this posted to BA just fine - but at the original fare's earning, not the upgraded one. If it does not post automatically, then you just have to ask BAEC to credit based on the original fare.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:44 pm

As an aside, the MH thing (and also UL and to a lesser extent all other OW airlines) thing is one of the annoying vagueries of the QFF programme that it really pays to get your head around. IIRC with BAEC, Avios earning was largely capped on partner airlines but not so much tier points. QFF caps status credits, usually to the economy level but occasionally to a slightly higher but still reduced rate for all airlines other than QF/JQ codes flights departing Australia or in direct competition

As a result, if I dont want to fly qantas long haul, I take a QF/JQflight to DPS,AKL or similar and then catch the other OW airline from there- note this has limited utility as a strategy with MH as the cap applies to all except intra Asia flights
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
As others have said,

Upgrade bids on MH only attract tier points and Avios for the original fare booked.
The only benefit is the experience on board which is nice of you have an A330 from MEL to KUL, if your upgraded sector is to DAC on the morning departure you could end up on a 738 and that business class is a very minimal difference with economy.

Lounge access you had anyway, as a BAEC Gold you can access 1st class lounges and I think in MEL the QF F lounge access will be nice. (J fare only gives you business class lounge access). If you have no status on QF you miss the F lounge.

Globalist
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jdbelfast
Flying in a few days MEL-KUL-DAC on MH. I did the MH upgrade bid to J and have been successful. The original fare was in a Y non-earning class (N). Had originally used my BAEC number as wanted lounge access but now got lounge access anyway.

Recently moved to Australia and over time migrating to QFF. I’m wondering should I change my FF to QF? Seen mixed reports if I get status credit for the upgraded MH flight on both BAEC and QFF. Any advice on to which vote it is better to credit these flights?
How long will you be in Australia for? A few years or for ever?
What are you objectives from a ffp?
How do you use ff miles/avios/points?
Will QF ffp be the best for you medium term? (ffp are not for the long term)
Note BAEC does not allow members with an Au address (unless this has changed)

As above QF status earning is poor to extremely poor on some partners/routes, even in business class. This is to discourage non QF flights on those airlines/routes

Not that unusual that the original fares booking class is credited for a flight when an upgrade is obtained. Many ffp's do that. Depends on the upgrade method used.
A guide --> www.wheretocredit.com/mh/n
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ; BAEC Silver; Qantas FF Gold; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How long will you be in Australia for? A few years or for ever?
What are you objectives from a ffp?
How do you use ff miles/avios/points?
Will QF ffp be the best for you medium term? (ffp are not for the long term)
Note BAEC does not allow members with an Au address (unless this has changed)

As above QF status earning is poor to extremely poor on some partners/routes, even in business class. This is to discourage non QF flights on those airlines/routes

Not that unusual that the original fares booking class is credited for a flight when an upgrade is obtained. Many ffp's do that. Depends on the upgrade method used.
A guide --> www.wheretocredit.com/mh/n
ow long will you be in Australia for? A few years or for ever? IN THEORY PERMANENTLY
What are you objectives from a ffp? LOUNGE ACCESS AND OCCCASIONAL FLIGHTS
How do you use ff miles/avios/points? OFTEN SHORT NOTICE AND SHORT DISTANCE FLIGHTS
Will QF ffp be the best for you medium term? (ffp are not for the long term) UNSURE BUT RETAINING BA STATUS COULD GET DIFFICULT COMPARED TO QANTAS
Note BAEC does not allow members with an Au address (unless this has changed) I KNOW. I ALSO HAVE AN ADDRESS IN IRELAND
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:08 pm

(Aware this is not the question asked)

If BAEC has better earn/burn rates ex Australia, you might even do better just buying a qantas club membership and crediting flights to BAEC anyway
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nancypants
(Aware this is not the question asked)

If BAEC has better earn/burn rates ex Australia, you might even do better just buying a Qantas club membership and crediting flights to BAEC anyway
Many large companies and/or professional associations have discounted QF club membership. As does AFF
However QF club is only good for QF lounges. If flying economy on say BA from BHD or MH from KUL, no lounges access. OW Sapphire has far better lounge access. Does depend on travel pattern.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Many large companies and/or professional associations have discounted QF club membership. As does AFF
However QF club is only good for QF lounges. If flying economy on say BA from BHD or MH from KUL, no lounges access. OW Sapphire has far better lounge access. Does depend on travel pattern.
that is a very true point, I think there is reciprocal access to admirals club but otherwise SOL
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
In my (limited) experience of upgrading from J to F on MH, this posted to BA just fine - but at the original fare's earning, not the upgraded one. If it does not post automatically, then you just have to ask BAEC to credit based on the original fare.
Yes, I meant in this specific circumstance (N class, upgrade to Business via bid)

Though I have had some incidents of an eligible fare not posting once I upgraded, but on very short flights so I never bothered to try to claim. But this was pre-MH move to Amadeaus, seems more reliable now

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.