Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dismal wifi (SH)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Dismal wifi (SH)

I have had WiFi on a couple of BA LH flights and it's been nothing special but functional.

Yesterday I flew MAN/LHR/ARN and somehow managed to get 2 A319s that were WiFi enabled (EUPR & EUOA). No mention onboard or anything and I only stumbled accross it trying to resolve a Netflix issue.

It was basically utterly rubbish, the MAN/LHR segment functioned but it was so slow it took the flight for two whatsapp messages to send. On the ARN sector it took the whole flight to get to the payment page and then it could not complete the transaction, other PX also commented on this.

They may as well not bother if that's the best they can do, no wonder they don't advertise it!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I saw that the price was for 50MB of data and stopped reading after that. It's a useless amount for getting any work done.

BA, get back to me when it's at least 500MB on a short haul, then I might get out my credit card.
YacozA and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

RGN ran an article at the end of June outlining the EAN service not running as it is intended to. It’s quite a technical critique and ends without any clear sight on when the issues will be resolved.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...e-and-netflix/
Old Sep 4, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have still not been able to successfully add in my credit card details so have pretty much given up on WiFi.

Also so I think they should put some effort into the flight information, or current lack thereof, which is displayed when connected to the WiFi without paying. Singapore are a good example of how it could be done.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
MAN - LHR gives you about 10 minutes of usable Wi-fi time for £5.99. It’s ridiculous!!
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
RGN ran an article at the end of June outlining the EAN service not running as it is intended to. It’s quite a technical critique and ends without any clear sight on when the issues will be resolved.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2019/0...e-and-netflix/
Yes, I'd say that article sums it up really. I'm not surprised they aren't announcing it as that would just lead to a glut of on board complaints I imagine.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
MAN - LHR gives you about 10 minutes of usable Wi-fi time for £5.99. It’s ridiculous!!
Really they should make it FOC on the domestic routes.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Agreed - I can't see many people paying for it. I would pay for longhaul wifi IF I could trust it to work - but I'm never going to spend money to try it on domestic!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Should be FOC on ALL flights
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL
I find it amusing that they're pushing Netflix streaming on the short haul fleet and the A350 when they're offering restricted data bundles instead of time based bundles, makes it a waste of time really.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:29 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
today’s wifi on ba482 was abysmal. I could barely submit the complaint to BA about slow wifi
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:45 pm

I don’t understand the need for WiFi on an aeroplane. Just escape from the routine and enjoy the clouds.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Greenpen
I don’t understand the need for WiFi on an aeroplane. Just escape from the routine and enjoy the clouds.

Last edited by nufnuf77; Sep 4, 2019 at 4:14 pm Reason: nothing to add
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Who deals in megabytes (MB) these days? Is it the (naughties) 00’s?! Come on BA we have 5G and unlimited data on offer nowadays.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: All the usual suspects
Originally Posted by Markx
Should be FOC on ALL flights
That will never happen.

Speaking from experience, the costs associated with in-flight wifi from the service providers is horrific, even allowing for the economy of scale that BA will leverage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.