TravelUp

Old May 3, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
I just got this on an email from Amex:

Thank you for sending the requested documents. We have now forwarded the documents to the Merchant for more details and as we previously ensured you were not liable to pay this amount while we investigated, we will now credit the amount and you will see this on your upcoming statement. If the Merchant provides information supporting the transaction, we may rebill your account. If this happens, we will update you.
I also attached the T&Cs from March and a cover note explaining TravelUp may respond with copies of their T&Cs but to take the March ones into consideration since that is what I signed up to (thanks again to joequimby for providing this).

So hopefully TravelUp won't respond as I already had the T&Cs part covered, but let's see.... For now Amex have credited the amount back to me and closed the dispute.
Old May 3, 2020, 5:31 am

Please can anyone provide me with the original Term and Condition of travelup before they changed it as well.

I am trying to fight this case with amex dispute.

Originally Posted by Paren
I just got this on an email from Amex:

I also attached the T&Cs from March and a cover note explaining TravelUp may respond with copies of their T&Cs but to take the March ones into consideration since that is what I signed up to (thanks again to joequimby for providing this).

So hopefully TravelUp won't respond as I already had the T&Cs part covered, but let's see.... For now Amex have credited the amount back to me and closed the dispute.
I am receiving the same letter from AMEX but do not have the original T&C to back my dispute.

Last edited by Prospero; May 3, 2020 at 6:34 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts; remove personal information
Old May 3, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by joequimby
The T&Cs provided to Amex (and included in my letter) are their revised ones and not what I (and probably many others) signed up for.
Have tried to re-open the dispute online but it says to call us, so on hold now....

I'm quite peeved now. Changing the T&Cs is reprehensible behaviour and I certainly will be devoting my efforts to fight this.
I urge anyone that booked with these clowns to not back down.
That’s not just reprehensible that appears to be attempted fraud. I’d report them to Action Fraud and let AmEx know that’s what you’re doing.
Old May 5, 2020, 4:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I guess most received an email from the CEO of TravelUp - Ali Shah - recently. Was interesting to read the following from the email
"For all other existing bookings which are affected due to Covid-19 there is a contribution of £50 per booking that covers the service you have already received and continue to receive in accordance with market practice however this fee is waived off should you decide to accept a credit note of your full booking value to exchange against your future travel arrangements."

So I guess he wants us to contribute to the service that we received....

Cheers!...
Paren likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, Delta Plat
I did a chargeback against TravelUp in early April using Amex and it was successful. All I said was that goods were not delivered, this was for a cancelled flight. Seems I was lucky to get in early.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: QF, BA
Originally Posted by braiden9
I did a chargeback against TravelUp in early April using Amex and it was successful. All I said was that goods were not delivered, this was for a cancelled flight. Seems I was lucky to get in early.
I did a chargeback in March and Amex applied the credit to my account. TravelUp have since responded and Amex have reversed the credit. This is likely the case for you too when TravelUp get around to responding as it seems they are fighting all chargebacks.

I've replied to Amex showing the original T&Cs that I agreed to which doesn't reference an admin fee. Let's see what Amex says.
Old May 5, 2020, 7:55 am

I've got a chargeback pending (and has been pending for about 7 working days) with HSBC for TravelUp flights that have been cancelled - does anyone know timescales for when it will be credited to my account? (I expect TravelUp to dispute it and I have evidence against them, but I still haven't had the first credit yet).
Old May 5, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by joequimby
To anyone that's PMed me for a copy of the dated T/Cs - you have mail.
Apologies for the delay in responding, FT doesn't make it obvious I have a new PM when in the mobile view.

The copy I have is dated 7th March 2020
Hi Joe, I would REALLY love a copy of those T&Cs!! I'm in a similar position to you, booked mid-Fed. Suspected I was under the old T&Cs but couldn't prove it.Also have an open chargeback with Amex which I'm expecting TU to fight. They appear to be using all their manpower to fight chargebacks as opposed to simply refunding customers. I really appreciate the help you can offer, it's a big missing piece of my puzzle as they refused to offer me a refund. Also for anyone interested there is a facebook group solely dedicated to cancelled flights through TU. I can't post the link for some reason but just search facebook for TravelUp COVID Response. There are share files that might help with individual cases and links to other various attempts to put pressure on this company to refund us.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
I'm not a lawyer but there are several lawyers on this forum so a question for anyone more qualified than me who might see this. I'd be very interested to know the legal position when a company tries to retrospectively alter their T&Cs; surely the T&Cs that were in force when the booking was made remain valid?
Old May 6, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by sc82491
I've got a chargeback pending (and has been pending for about 7 working days) with HSBC for TravelUp flights that have been cancelled - does anyone know timescales for when it will be credited to my account? (I expect TravelUp to dispute it and I have evidence against them, but I still haven't had the first credit yet).
I had a charge back for flybe and it took around 6 weeks!

It was via gotogate and they've disputed it (and seem to be right to now I've read further) so does appear these companies are managing to staff their dispute department better than their call centre
Old May 6, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mike P
I'm not a lawyer but there are several lawyers on this forum so a question for anyone more qualified than me who might see this. I'd be very interested to know the legal position when a company tries to retrospectively alter their T&Cs; surely the T&Cs that were in force when the booking was made remain valid?
Yes they do, unless there’s a provision that says they can change them (along the lines of mobile phone companies raising prices mid-contract, where they have a clause saying they can).
However, unless you took a copy of the T&C when you booked, it’s your word against theirs.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Filed chargeback and got my money back within a few days! Although mine was from a cancelled flight before the covid cancellations and I was just due the taxes back on a few business tickets so still around £800. Wouldn't book with Travelup or any OTA for that matter in the future. Just not worth the stress. They could have refunded me in Feb as per their commitment.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:11 pm

Apparently there is another clause under section 7 saying they will deduct cost from cancelled flights, which is of course contradict to what says for the same matter under section 17. As an non expert in laws I’m not clear which clause to follow for situations like this, any thoughts?

Last edited by Still; May 7, 2020 at 12:32 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Reading this, they always talk about the refund they receive from the carrier, not the price you paid.

If you (eg only) buy a £1000 ticket, they may only send £900 to the airline as the rest is their commission or a discounted net fare. If the airline issues a full refund then the TA will get £900 back from the airline which they 100% pass on to you. Some tickets will have an obvious service fee and others have that built into the price.
Old May 8, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by yellow_peril
Reading this, they always talk about the refund they receive from the carrier, not the price you paid.

If you (eg only) buy a £1000 ticket, they may only send £900 to the airline as the rest is their commission or a discounted net fare. If the airline issues a full refund then the TA will get £900 back from the airline which they 100% pass on to you. Some tickets will have an obvious service fee and others have that built into the price.

But it does state FULL REFUND.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.