FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   TravelUp (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1985796-travelup.html)

joequimby Apr 6, 2020 3:06 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 32263416)
That was part of the contract you agreed to when you used them. Just because the airline or hotel gives you a full refund does not mean the agency can't apply its own fees

They can't apply a fee when it was not in the terms and conditions that formed part of the contract at the point of sale.

Your post actually prompted me to re-read their T&Cs and noticed it's since changed.
https://www.travelup.com/en-gb/terms-and-conditions
Under Section 17, "Flight Only" (c), it now states:
(c) Receiving a full refund which we receive back from supplier/airline with a deduction of credit/debit card (non-refundable) charges incurred by us at the time of the original booking and a small administration fee

Luckily, I took a copy of their T&Cs in the event they try to move the goal posts. Evidently my suspicions were justified and I won't be going near them on the other side of this.
I expect they're trying to force their revised T&Cs on anyone requesting a full refund - hopefully this helps and I can send the date-stamped PDF copy if anyone needs it.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...da9663b567.png

frb98mf Apr 6, 2020 10:14 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77 (Post 32222632)
What a joke TRAVELUP is. They closed their callcentres and only way to reach them is by email - yeah super convenient when departure is within 48 hours and flights are disappearing...

Originally Posted by Paren (Post 32222820)
Yep. I spent circa 10 hours in total on hold previously and could never get through to anyone. It seems they are only working on an email basis now.

Travel insurance, BA and my credit card provider keep saying TravelUp needs to change my flights, but I'm not sure how this is possible when you can't get hold of them.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 32223214)
I clicked on the profile.

Last post - 4th Septemner 2019 (in this thread!)

Last activity - 1st October 2019 (not specified what that was)

Total posts - 2

I woudn't rely on them responding to any message via flyer talk

If their call cenre is in India then it has been shut down. Just like the BA one. On the orders of the Indian Government.

Originally Posted by Paren (Post 32223276)
I'm also in the same boat - meant to be flying on 1st April with BA flights operated by Qatar.

Apparently TravelUp are saying they will get back to you if you are due to fly within a week but I'm not sure if anyone has received any communication from them looking at the various 1 star reviews on Feefo/Trustpilot etc.

Originally Posted by frb98mf (Post 32241005)
They're bad enough when there is no crisis. I've just issued a small claim against them for a refund they have failed to issue despite 10 months of repeated requests through multiple media. Not only that but cut a long story short, the refund was as a result of their misinterpretation of the fare rules, leading to repeatedly misquoted change costs, and ultimately a material loss and downgrade for me when I had to cancel and rebook.

So the good news is, if you want to reach them really urgently, there is a way - just issue a small claim. They responded on what must have been the same day they received the notice, to say they were defending themselves against my claim in full!

Lussac Apr 6, 2020 2:58 pm

Well, it's now 8 days past the flight date and still not a peep from them, up to 24 hours before the cancelled flight date I had sent them numerous emails and completed the form from their web site on several occasions over the preceding 3 weeks and had nothing back apart from the standard response.

Bunch of sharks who are still causing me problems as I've had to re-arrange dates 3 times due to cancellations with no help from them, I thought I'd managed to get SQ to take over the booking but every time I contacted them they first insist that I must contact my travel agent and only after I argue that the T/A is not responsive then they do something, so, in the booking it's still labelled as a T/A booking somewhere (in manage booking it also says contact your travel agent to make changes or re-arrange cancelled flights). Looks like I'm going to have the same aggro yet again as my latest booking that was re-arranged by the SQ call centre is now looking doubtful for 2nd May unless Singapore open up for transits again.

wmaciej Apr 6, 2020 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lussac (Post 32270468)
Well, it's now 8 days past the flight date and still not a peep from them, up to 24 hours before the cancelled flight date I had sent them numerous emails and completed the form from their web site on several occasions over the preceding 3 weeks and had nothing back apart from the standard response.

Bunch of sharks who are still causing me problems as I've had to re-arrange dates 3 times due to cancellations with no help from them, I thought I'd managed to get SQ to take over the booking but every time I contacted them they first insist that I must contact my travel agent and only after I argue that the T/A is not responsive then they do something, so, in the booking it's still labelled as a T/A booking somewhere (in manage booking it also says contact your travel agent to make changes or re-arrange cancelled flights). Looks like I'm going to have the same aggro yet again as my latest booking that was re-arranged by the SQ call centre is now looking doubtful for 2nd May unless Singapore open up for transits again.

My experience with TravelUp is anything but positive. Emails in broken English, not signed with the person's actual name, lack of response when refund is requested.

Now, from my experience with TA bookings with BA, if there was a cancellation in the booking, BA were happy to rearrange the travel (unless it's IT fare, e.g. avios.com bookings with Lloyds upgrade voucher). This worked so well in my case that BA have changed my booking and reissued the ticket last week and the unresponsive travel agent (not TravelUp) has only acted on it today - reissued the ticket having made zero changes. Oh well.

onlysuites Apr 17, 2020 10:45 am

I cancelled a flight way back in Jan and was due the taxes back less their silly fees which I am happy with. It's been 11 weeks now and no one ever replies to the emails.

nldogbert Apr 17, 2020 1:18 pm

my experience on a ticket where flights were cancelled by BA, but as indicated by others, they have their crazy "administration" fees which meant the 100+ GBP ticket would result in less than 30 GBP money back, so I took the option of the voucher (which was also offered) valid for a year and only valid for BA flights and can only be done via them. It seems to be a 125-stock voucher, so might try in the future to call BA directly to see if I can book it with them.

Based on my experience, I will most probably NOT book with them anymore unless the price difference is significant. I do understand that they are acting as the middle person, but taking 75% for their admin fees is rather ridiculous when the airlines is giving back 100% refund.

Cheers!

onlysuites Apr 18, 2020 6:14 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 32302072)
I elled by do understand that they are acting as the middle person, but taking 75% for their admin fees is rather ridiculous when the airlines is giving back 100% refund.

Cheers!

I agree. They shouldn't be charging fees on a cancelled flights. I had a flight cancelled by Norweigian through a Mytrip and they promptly gave me back the full amount.

Lussac Apr 18, 2020 2:36 pm

Well someone has to pay for Mr and Mrs Shah's £650K each dividends for 2019 somehow.

sds1493 Apr 18, 2020 3:13 pm

my experience on a ticket where flights were cancelled by BA, but as indicated by others, they have their crazy "administration" fees which meant the 100+ GBP ticket would result in less than 30 GBP money back, so I took the option of the voucher (which was also offered) valid for a year and only valid for BA flights and can only be done via them. It seems to be a 125-stock voucher, so might try in the future to call BA directly to see if I can book it with them.

Based on my experience, I will most probably NOT book with them anymore unless the price difference is significant. I do understand that they are acting as the middle person, but taking 75% for their admin fees is rather ridiculous when the airlines is giving back 100% refund.

Cheers!

See post 61. It seems that the T&C's were changed.

Becca1980 Apr 20, 2020 5:06 am

Originally Posted by joequimby (Post 32268499)
They can't apply a fee when it was not in the terms and conditions that formed part of the contract at the point of sale.

Luckily, I took a copy of their T&Cs in the event they try to move the goal posts. Evidently my suspicions were justified and I won't be going near them on the other side of this.
I expect they're trying to force their revised T&Cs on anyone requesting a full refund - hopefully this helps and I can send the date-stamped PDF copy if anyone needs it.

What date are those original terms and conditions from? I booked my (now cancelled) flights back in November and I'm wondering if these would have been the ts & cs I signed up to.

joequimby Apr 20, 2020 12:06 pm

To anyone that's PMed me for a copy of the dated T/Cs - you have mail.
Apologies for the delay in responding, FT doesn't make it obvious I have a new PM when in the mobile view.

Originally Posted by Becca1980 (Post 32308569)
What date are those original terms and conditions from? I booked my (now cancelled) flights back in November and I'm wondering if these would have been the ts & cs I signed up to.

The copy I have is dated 7th March 2020

Confus Apr 20, 2020 3:48 pm

It seems to be a 125-stock voucher, so might try in the future to call BA directly to see if I can book it with them.

Your efforts will be wasted: vouchers managed by an agent can only be rebooked via that agent. BA can’t control your booking - and they won’t even try, as they’ve agreed with agents not to intervene (as part of ‘encouraging’ the agents to issue vouchers rather than refunds).

This stands as the usual caveat emptor for booking through OTAs. Can be great in normal ops, but when things go wrong you’re basically screwed. And I’m putting this here deliberately so future users can be pointed to it when they ask “but why can TravelUp (etc.) offer tickets cheaper than Direct with an airline...?” This makes it painfully obvious.

sds1493 Apr 21, 2020 7:30 am

Just received an email from Travelup. Automated, but it's something.

Dear...
Due to the constantly evolving situation caused by COVID-19 we've had to make changes to the way we work in order to look after the health and wellbeing of our team members and to make our team as efficient as possible in replying to the many enquiries we are receiving on a daily basis.
We can only apologise for not providing our normal levels of service and not being as proactive in communication as we would have liked, we accept this has been very frustrating for many of our customers. However, we would like to assure you that we are starting to see positive steps in resolving customers issues. This is aided by our partners, both airlines and accommodation providers, issuing clear guidance on the options available to our customers.
Currently we have received over 100,000 enquiries of which we have successfully resolved 31,000. We are contacting customers in departure date order, however, due to the volume and backlog this does mean that we are still contacting people that should have departed late March. We now need to ask for your help to ensure we are as productive as possible and helping as many people as we can in a timely fashion. We appreciate you may have questions and concerns but before trying to contact us please adhere to the following advice - If you have travelledMany airlines are still running several selected services and those of you that have travelled know we are still here to support you. 18th March to 31st May departuresPlease don't contact us if at all possible. As mentioned, we are contacting customers in departure date order and we will be in contact. Rest assured you money is safe, and the best options will be presented to you when we get in contact in due course. June departures onwardsWe're currently looking forward to taking you away as planned. If this changes, we'll be in touch with you nearer the time. We know that this is a very difficult time for everyone. We're doing all we can to adapt to these rapidly changing and challenging times and are very grateful for your patience and understanding. We can't wait to get you travelling again. Your TravelUp Team Please do not reply to this email as this mailbox is not attended
Was going to dispute transaction, but now will give them a bit more time.

(paragraphs got lost)

ratechaser Apr 21, 2020 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sds1493 (Post 32311837)
Just received an email from Travelup. Automated, but it's something.

Was going to dispute transaction, but now will give them a bit more time.

(paragraphs got lost)

I'm sure that buying a bit more time is exactly what they wanted to achieve with that email...

nldogbert Apr 23, 2020 5:50 am

Just read customers on the other side of the world (Oz) has the same issue with Flight Centre.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/cons...22-p54m8r.html

Cheers!